1999 vs 2001 cobra

Jesse 28B

Founding Member
Jun 23, 2002
Ohio, USA
Hello guys. I'm from the GT world and don't know much about the cobras.

I have about $14500 max to spend on a cobra. I found myself a 2001 cobra, and the deal was pretty much finalized, but it fell through last second apparently.
My problem now is that I can't find any other 2001 cobras within that price range.
My only other affordable cobra choice would be 1999 cobra (unless somebody wants to sell me their 2003 cobra for under 14500 :) ).

What exactly are the major difference between the 1999 and 2001? I know the interior and transmission are the major things, but other than that, what other difference are there?
Based on this page, http://www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/articles/0-60times.html , the 1999 cobra is 0.4 seconds slower in the quarter mile. If both are 320hp and 317tq, why is the 99 so much slower?

I found a few 1999's for a little under $12000. I'm just trying to find a reason to justify spending the extra $2500 on a 2001 (thats granted I can find another one for $14500)

Also, I found a decent deal on a 2001 cobra convertible, but I know the GT verts were considerably heavier and slower than the coupes. Is there a major difference performance-wise with a 2001 cobra vert compared to a coupe?

Thanks guys for any help.

• Sponsors (?)

There is not much if any performance advantages between them.The only differance is the 2001 has a much nicer interior and it says cobra on the rear bumper.Most of the 99's have the T-45 transmission.

I would say the 01 due to it making a true 320 hp stock.

Even with the recall upgrade, the 99 had problems making 265+ rwhp. The 01's made 275 rwhp consitently.

My buddy has a 99 with the upgrade, 3.73's and full exhaust and I pulled him with my 98 when I had just headers, a h-pipe, cat back and 3.27's.

Plus they have cooler interior and a COBRA bumper as 32v said.

I would save and get an 03-04 though. Trust me, it's worth it!

I dont understand why this point gets beat to death but anyway here it goes: The 99 after the "fix" makes the same rwhp as the 01 and in some cases a little more depending on how the intake was extrude honed or acid dipped I believe.
Also dont go by what the car is suppose to run in the 1/4. Get out there and see for yourself it is very difficult to run magazine times with stock tires and without powershifting the hell outa your tranny.
Also the 01's seem to have just as many issues as the 99 as they are almost identical anyway. The 01 does have 31 spline axles though.

Ok sorry.

I beat the 99 with gears exhaust and the fix. He made 264 rwhp. I ran 13.7 @104 with those mods in my 98 on nitto's. This guy can drive.

Saw a 01 Cobra within 2 months after that with exhaust and 3.73 or 3.90's run 13.4x @ 105.xx. Supposedly he is making 285+. I am not sold on that number though, but possible.

I believe there is validity in the fact that the fixed 99 still didn't make the power of an 01.

Beat it more....show me proof in numbers and I will be sold.

bdcardinal said:
...the 99's had the Teskid block which is a lot stronger than the block use in the 01s...

Actually there is new(er) data that shows some 01s having a Teskid block as well (not that anyone is going to destroy their block under stock/near-stock horsepower levels LOL). The rods and/or pistons would be the first to let go anyways, not the block - so the "Teskid" argument is sort of a moot point unless you are running forced induction and are really pushing the power level, IMHO of course.

Further:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192162

:cheers:

O1 looks better IMOP.

300 to the wheels is pretty easy with a good tune and bolt on's.

The 99 & 01 have real bad tunes from the factory. PING city on 93 - Octane fuel !!!

Mine is going in for a re-flash soon.

I hate pingers !!

i was trying to decide between a 99 and 01 cobra. i figured if i got the 99 i wouldnt be as happy if i had the 01. better seats, 6 cd in dash, cobra bumper, no question about hp and definitly having the tremec..,. but, 01's were still in the $24k range when i was looking for a car and i didnt wanna spend that much when an 03 cobra wasnt that much farther out of the reach. so i went with a 98. id take a 98 over a 99, but not an 01. newer body style yea but i had solid rear, basically same interior and only 15 hp to catch up to. i see more 03s than 96-98s on the road anyway. im gonna keep this car another year or so then finally get an 04 when i know i can afford it. dont go too far in debt for a car, do what u can. either way youll have a cobra

95 yellow 5 0 said:
i newer body style yea but i had solid rear, basically same interior and only 15 hp to catch up to.

True, but it's power under the curve that makes the real diff between the 96-98s and 99/01s thanks to the tumble port heads on the 99/01s

my 01 never pinged.....has had no issues whatsoever exept for the POS 3650 tranny. It alittle notchy but not bad, it holding up to pullies 03 cobra numbers so i guess i can't complain really

main diffs between the 2 some i know were mentioned earlier

01 has
31 spline half shafts
TR3650 tranny
6 disk in dash
Much better seats
COBRA rear bumper
Different wing yet still not functional
Most have the teksid block like the 99s and 96-98s for that matter
Polished wheel option
5 new colors to choose from...true blue is still my fav

shadowland2000 said:
Is there a way to tell if an 01 has the teksid block?

yup take a look at it

square grids mean teksid
attachment.php

diamond grids mean windsor
attachment.php

99s are cool too

I agree the seats in the 01s are nice, but I have a 99 Cobra and its fine and its FAST.
I wanted a low milage black new edge so this was my find.
They have pig rich tune from the factory though. Your best money spent is on a custom tune via a Predator or Xcal2. I got mine thru Runnin with the Devil and it made a world of difference in the way the car runs. I have owned a 5.0 and a 99 GT and this car is a world faster than either of those thru all rpms.
Also from my readings its seems like there are ALOT more 01s with the pinging problem than 99s. I have my timing cranked up via the Predator and run 91 octane NO PINGING HERE :D
Get the best car that you can afford and be happy with it.
I looked for over a year before I decided on this one.

What is this pinging problem that keeps getting mentioned. I use 93 octane everytime i fill up and i have never heard any pinging noise.

I say get the 01' just for the simple fact that they are not much more money for the extra stuff you get. I got my car with 43k on it and it is in show room condition. No scratches nicks or anyhting, polished rims and bone stock for $17,900 9 months ago. I dont know how well the 99' responds to bolt ons but with the mods i have i make well over 300rwhp and that is another selling point for the 01'.

cobra2798 said:
What is this pinging problem that keeps getting mentioned. I use 93 octane everytime i fill up and i have never heard any pinging noise.

I say get the 01' just for the simple fact that they are not much more money for the extra stuff you get. I got my car with 43k on it and it is in show room condition. No scratches nicks or anyhting, polished rims and bone stock for $17,900 9 months ago. I dont know how well the 99' responds to bolt ons but with the mods i have i make well over 300rwhp and that is another selling point for the 01'.

they will respond the exact same

I have heard of the pinging 01s but not many it was only some of the early run 01s
the 99s don't have the pinging problem

I picked up my 01 in spring 03 with 2105 miles on it for 23K out the door. So you can find a good deal just look around

Keep looking

Check carsoup.com autotrader.com and cars.com
I bought my 1 owner 99 coupe with 36,000 miles on it for $16,000 about 7 months ago.
Take your time, just try to be patient and you will find a good one. :nice:

both respond the same to mods lol
Its the same dam car but the 01 just has a few more options to it. The only mechanical differences is the tranny and rearend. The engines are the same (not all have the Teskid block though)
If it were me buying all over again...Id look at both cars and buy the best one of the two and not buy one or other because of what people say on here, just get the best one that fits you.
But if you can swing the extra dough, the 03/04 is the way to go :)

both respond the same to mods lol
Its the same dam car but the 01 just has a few more options to it. The only mechanical differences is the tranny and rearend. The engines are the same (not all have the Teskid block though)
If it were me buying all over again...Id look at both cars and buy the best one of the two and not buy one or other because of what people say on here, just get the best one that fits you.
But if you can swing the extra dough, the 03/04 is the way to go :)

Jesse...be patient, you'll find an 01 cobra for ~14.5k.. it may have a few miles on her... but regardless, you'll be very pleased! I've never had any trouble with my 01. :nice:

Though I'm think'n of letting her go for ~$17.9 w/17.7k miles cause I really need a truck .. plus I wanna save for the new Shelby. Haven't really advertised it 'cause I'm kinda "tossed" to sell her. I'm think'n she'll go fast 'cause she's very sweet!

best