2.3L Turbo w/c3 auto to t5 tranny swap

xRati

Apr 8, 2020
Ontario, Canada
There was a great step by step online but it's long gone now. I'm on the hunt for a bellhousing that will mate up my 1987 2.3L Lima motor and a TREMEC T-5.
there's one online off an svo cobra which i think will work but it's 10 times what everyone else says they've paid for something similar.
E6ZR-6394-B is the part number and

• Sponsors (?)

There is no such thing as an SVO cobra with a 4 cylinder. An SVO yes. But...it uses the exact same bellhousing as any other 2.3L/T5 so there is nothing special so anyone who's asking an arm and a leg for a supposed "rare" bellhousing is out of their mind. They used to be everywhere; little harder to find nowadays. The 87-88 turbocoupe's had hydraulic clutch, so they're not really in the same category as the Mustangs, etc. It'd work if you were using a hydrualic clutch but if you're using a cable clutch not so much.

The sad part is that a lot of 2.3 stuff has been just thrown to the side by so many folks who've done V8 swaps. I used to have a TON of 2.3 stuff in storage but a guy made me an offer on the whole lot that I couldn't refuse; however it DID go to a good home (a fellow 2.3T junky).

You know that old saying 'you don't know what you got till it's gone'? A friend sent a clapped out svo with engine and I think the bell housing to the crusher about three weeks ago.
I did manage to get the turbo, manifold and computer, intercooler and some intake stuff. :doh:

I put a 91 T5 setup in my 89 four cyl coupe. Pedals were the hardest part. I took it out in a junkyard, but lost a few parts in the 10 years before the install.

Had to buy flywheel to crank bolts. Pretty easy all things said.

you know come to think of it there was a complete 2.3/t5 out of a 93 on craigslist a while back for $50. The bellhousing would have worked. I once did a T5 swap into a Merkur and just used a 90 or 91 Mustang for the donor. The hardest part was the clutch cable. Rest was easy once I had the crossmember and drive shaft. Originally a C3 automatic and it would slip at 12 psi boost. Piece of junk. Whole car was. Paid $50 for the entire car, threw a fuel pump in it and drove it for years until 145hp wasn't enough.