3.8 power adder options

bhuff30

Founding Member
Dec 11, 2001
Olathe KS
Hey everyone,

My mom has a 2000 3.8 mustang with an auto. We've owned it since it was new, and it is performance red with nice 17" wheels and less than 50k miles still! It is truely in excellent condition all the way around. Seems to us, that it is time to give it some grunt for the street. Something that will give it more grunt right off the line would be prefered, but the goal is to line up against a stock 05-07GT and not think twice.

After some searching here and online, I'm not that excited about anything I've seen so far. No one offers a roots style blower?

I looked at the procharger and vortech options, but these seem disappointing. where's the torque? The 9psi vortech is reported to take the the base 2000 3.8 (193hp, 225tq) to 278hp, 286 ft*lbs. Thats a gain of 85hp and sadly, only 61 ft*lbs at peak. My sad 97GT 4.6 makes more torque than that from the factory. Obviously, the procharger making 11psi intercooled will make a lot more power and torque... but with a centrifigual blower, you'll really have to mash it to get into that power, and it won't be that much more fun in stop and go or around town. Is that true, and does anyone have a dyno sheet showing otherwise?

I don't see much for turbo options either. In searching here, I see that TMA offers a kit, but it looks a bit big and doesn't have the 'factory install' look that we'd demand.

What I see lacking, is the grunt to get the 3.8 off the line, as the torque converter stalls at a very low speed (like 1500rpm), so you'll be waiting until you can get to the power band with either a turbo or centrfigual blower.

Maybe it is just my opinion, but where is the roots blower kit, with 11-12 psi and an intercooler? It'd be less efficient than the centrifugal, but still should make over 300 at the crank, especially after the mandatory dual exhaust, and will have the pull right off the line until you find the rev limiter. The 300+hp at the crank would be more than enough to give the heavier 05GT all it can handle and more.

A turbo setup, with a small turbo would work too. My 88 w/2.3L has a tiny turbo, and it's great fun, with huge torque off the line. With 22psi of intercooled boost, you can be certain it is making over 350ft*lbs of torque from 3000rpm. Seems the stock converter is too loose to see anything below 3000rpm with boost though.

• Sponsors (?)

If you want a rootstyle blower, you need to either fab up one yourself or ask someone that can do it. You can use the rootblower from a 03/04 Cobra, but it's not bolt on ;)

You've can also go NA, then the car will look stock and still perform ;)
Get ported heads and intake and a nice big cam, put that on top of your 4.3L stroked engine.

Super Six Motorsports is currently working on an M112 kit for the 99-04 V6's. It's still in testing so it may be awhile. Right now it has no IC setup, but they have it going 7-8psi making mad torque really low with a nice flat curve.