5.0 Truck Heads??

CRASH7772

Apr 27, 2003
NH
Anybody more familiar than I am with the truck head castings availble in the 87-91 F-150 302ci range? I believe there are 1 or 2 castings avaible and my other question was what is the big difference between the two (if there was more than one)?

• Sponsors (?)

86-96 302 and 351s used the E7TE. See the E7 signifies 1987 and TE is truck engine. That is where the mustang heads came from on the GTs of 87-95 -- the truck parts bins!

Only the lightning got the GT40 heads and the first year Explorer V8s. Then the 96.5+ got the GT40P heads.

So the only main difference from the truck engines and the HO car engines is the intake, cam, and possibly pistons depending on year of Stang? Are the truck blocks roller cam as well?

Truck heads are E7TE casting, but there are also a few earlier models (1986) that use the E5TE casting...which is the same.
Yes, the main differences between the Mustang blocks and truck blocks are the Intake, cam and pistons (Cast in the Truck and Forged or Hyperutectic in the Mustang). Not to mention a couple of other little tidbits, distributor, throttle body, blah, blah, blah.

The truck blocks are drilled for roller cams, but they don't use them.