8" rear end purchase

Az Pete

10 Year Member
Mar 30, 2005
Panama City, Fl.
Looking to upgrade to a trac lok/posi rear end. Looking at 3:25 gears and staying with my current 8".

Where do those that know go for the best deals on them?

The area I am in has limited resources for upgrading to a 9" so I will not be going that route.

• Sponsors (?)

So far, all local references are poor work or extremely high. One wanted $800 for an open, used, 3:00....it did include $75 for install. They talk over $1000 for the one I want.

At least I am not in a rush for it.....just looking and planning but will grab the right one if it pops up.

Pete & All,
I've been on the prowl for the same thing and have done a bit of research. According to several reviews from a couple of different Ford/Mustang sites, this guy seems to be the best for quality work and parts:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD..._Accessories&hash=item4cef63d549#ht_600wt_985

From the pile of cases he has, it would seem that he's pretty familiar with these units. I just wish I could come up with the $900 to burn. $800 for unit + $55 shipping + $45 or so for incidentals = $900. I've seen a few others to save up to $75 with not as good reviews.
HTH,
Gene

I went with a Currie center section in the 8" rear on my '68. Their traction-loc diff, and 3:25 gears. I don't have any problem putting one together, as I've done many rear end builds and gear changes over the years, but when I did the math on what it would cost for all the parts to put one together using my stock rear center casting, for very little more I got the complete Currie center section assembled and ready to bolt in. And I still have the stock pumkin in case I want to go with a different gear down the line. Currie makes good stuff, and their customer service is great also.