91 Fox Vs 2016 Ecooboost

Blackfox33

Feb 11, 2016
Hi all Im new here! A friend of mine and I will be heading to the dragstrip once the weather here in New England clears up.

I have a 1991 fox/vert. With 3.73-Cobra upper-70mmTB-CAI-BBKshortys-30LBinjectors-T5tranny-No cats/Hpipe/Flows-Subframe coneectors-Sway bar......Buddy has a 2016 Ecoobost with the performace package? Says hell rape me? Ive yet to take mycar icon1.png to the strip so I dont have a baseline but I feel I can take him from a dig? Thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

Hi all Im new here! A friend of mine and I will be heading to the dragstrip once the weather here in New England clears up.

I have a 1991 fox/vert. With 3.73-Cobra upper-70mmTB-CAI-BBKshortys-30LBinjectors-T5tranny-No cats/Hpipe/Flows-Subframe coneectors-Sway bar......Buddy has a 2016 Ecoobost with the performace package? Says hell rape me? Ive yet to take mycar icon1.png to the strip so I dont have a baseline but I feel I can take him from a dig? Thoughts?

He's gonna rape you.

The ecoboost 4 banger in the new mustang makes 310 hp, and 320 ft/lb at 5500 rpm.
The car weighs a little over 3500 pounds.

You'll be under powered and only about 200 pounds lighter. He has a six speed w/ traction control.

If he can even remotely drive, you'll be watching him all the way.

Maybe you can negotiate a deal where you only have to toss his salad?

Reactions: 3 users
FF&MM magazine had a similar vehicle that did 13.1 in the 1/4 mile.

You'll be doing good to get a 14.1 in the 1/4 mile.

Hope you didn't put any money on winning...

Reactions: 1 users
image.png

You're gonna need this...

Reactions: 3 users
What the heck is up with the 30# injectors on a mostly stock motor? You should only have 19#.

If you want to win, line up in the left lane and as soon as the race starts make a right turn and take his a$$ out!

math don't lie son

your car makes maybe 240hp
his car makes 310hp

Your car 5sp
his car 6sp with traction control

Your car 30 year old suspension
His car state of the art suspension

Your only shot is to take every last damn thing not needed out of the car and trunk, pump up the front tires, lower the rears, run a short belt, advance the timing, undo the sway bar link on one end, put on a set of cheater slicks and drive it like you stole it

You'll still lose but not by as much unless he can't drive worth a damn

Reactions: 1 user
I find it hard to believe it runs 13.1. Every stock 5.0 coyote runs around that number or slower(at least everyone I've seen). How is it that fast with 300hp vs 400+? But yes the op is in for a whooping either way.

I don't quite share the pessimistic attitude on this one.
First off, you didn't say what performance package, I think the one from ford adds no power at all. I'm pretty sure it adds brakes and suspension work and 3.55's.
Even the heavily tuned cars (with voided warranty's) only run low 13's high 12's and they are set on kill.

Back in the day, 3.73's, pulley's, k&n, 75mm meter, I ran 13.6 on BFG 16 inch drag radials full weight.

I also don't think the 6 speed nor the traction control is any benefit for him. I'd bet all the good drivers of the new cars turn traction control off. Probably more consistent with it on, but likely slower.

Get some drag radials and remove the 30lb injectors and it may not be all that bad.
Will you lose? Likely, but it shouldn't be a raping.

1. So why are we screwing around in such inferior rides?

2. So if I don't want a blower or NOS, what will it take to make a similar car competitive in a NA and streetable form? Will h/c/i get enough power (and which)? Or do we need displacement and a better suspension?

2. So if I don't want a blower or NOS, what will it take to make a similar car competitive in a NA and streetable form? Will h/c/i get enough power (and which)? Or do we need displacement and a better suspension?
1. Price? Nostalgia? Personal taste?

2. A good suspension,tires,and 325 or so rwhp will put a fox into the low 12's. Very competitive with most of today's "muscle cars". But yes the new cars only need to tweak-mod their vehicle and again be faster than that. The new cars are just better technology. Yet with that comes along a significant monetary investment. Almost any fox body would kick any modern muscle car (straight line performance)with a similar investment. They are just lighter. It costs money to go faster...

This is why I've been anti gt40p. Yeah an extra 40rwhp helps. But if it's not enough to compete with most modern muscle cars so why bother wasting the time or the money?

With tw's or aftr's and matching supporting parts you can get 315rwhp+. That's enough in a 3200lb car with good tires to outrun the majority of cars out there if you can drive. If you can't drive it's enough to land you in the bushes.

Blackfox, figure out what meter you have and remove the 30's. The fox computer is good at compensating when you get the injectors close to where you need them. But it's not so good when you are 2 sizes off.

If you put any money at all on this race, I suggest hedging your bets and using it to purchase a nitrous kit this weekend.

Show up at the track without having let on that you installed it. Keep the bottle full and warm and act as surprised as he is when you blow his doors off.

Otherwise, count on getting a really good up close and personal look at his back of his car when you're at the track.

LOL thanks for all the replies guys. I bought the fox with the 30Lb injectors. From what ive been reading the Ecoobost will do a 13.9-14.3 in the 1/4?

I'm pretty sure you are right with the times.
Not sure where these guys are getting low 13's out of what is essentially a stock ecoboost car with gears

For you it will come down to one thing, tires.

Sneaking someone with a small shot of nitrous that you aren't used to on regular street tires will do little good other than raise your mph along with your 60ft. I used 100 dry shot, the cheap setup involves a microswitch on the Throttle body, good luck on short notice not going full throttle which engages the kit and just making bad traction worse. It can be done with practice, but on day one it's not happening.

Get some drag radials and go do a little practicing without telling him.
Your shot will be legitimate if he's running his car off the showroom floor.
His car is easy to drive, your's, less so. You have to beat him out of the hole.

It's all a matter of numbers really.

Forget published e.t.s for now,..we'll only focus on Those that deal with weight, and power.

Weight and power is how et's are calculated.

The 310 hp figure is fact. So is the 3500lb curb weight.

You have a vert. 3300 pounds are fact. Your power figure is guesstimated since you don't know. It's been offered that you may see 240, let's say 250.

Conventional math at both of your power levels equate to this:

For every 100 lbs weight savings, you'll pick up a .10.

For every 10 hp you'll pick up a .10.

So,..did you figure it out yet?....

You'll gain (2) tenths on dude because you're less portly.
He'll pick up (6) tenths on you because of the power difference.

6-2=4.

Advantage ecoboost.

Do you know how bad a 4 TENTH lead looks from the drivers seat of the losing car?
1IMG_3044.jpg

He's up there,........somewhere.... Daayyumm!