99 cobra how to tell if recall was done on my car

• Sponsors (?)

The main parts of the recall are the ECM, the intake, and the exhaust. You already have an aftermarket exhaust, so all you have to check for are two things: Look for an 'authorized factory modification' sticker on the front radiator cover next to the (looking at the engine bay) left headlight. Also, check for a green or black dot that has been painted on the intake. That tells if it has been modified or not.

Run the VIN# by the folks at SVT (1-800-ford-svt). They will able to tell you if the VEHICLE was "fixed." However, you might not have all of the FIXED PARTS on it - read below for further.

It would be a waste of money to have a Ford Dealership perform the fix if it turned out your '99 did not have the "fix" done.

Checking for the dot is a good idea. Don't worry about the catback since you already have an aftermarket midpipe/catback.

Be wary that some "fixed" intakes have been traded/sold away. Consider the popularity of ported/polished intakes if someone stuck you with a "non-fix" intake on your '99.

The sticker might not be there as well (some Ford techs did not bother to slap it on there).

Just some food for thought. If all else fails, get a baseline dyno to see where your power level is at...

Mine never had the recall done either.

Here is a link to probably the best place to get info on the 99 recall...

http://mysite.verizon.net/txsnakecharmer/techman1.htm

As stated by Cobra90GT, call SVT to have the VIN checked. While you are on the phone with them, order the certificate of authenticity for your car if you didn't get it from the last owner. Mine never had the recall performed, but SVT says that not all 99's suffered from the lack of power. I took mine to Kauffman Motorsports and had it checked on the dyno. With a JLT cold air kit and Flowmaster cat-backs, I put down 277 rwhp. That’s around the target range for a stock 99, so a good intake and tune should have netted around 300 rwhp.
Most guys around here (PA), say the intake system will hamper you about 10-15 horsepower by itself. I bought a cherry extrude honed/hand polished intake manifold setup (TB, upper, and lower) from Justin at JPC. He used this on his personnel Cobra until he went pushrod. Unfortunately, my connecting rod shattered 2 weeks before I was having the intake swapped, so I bought a new Mach 1 crate motor from Ford. If you find yourself wanting to replace your intake manifold, give me a shout. ALSO, DO NOT TOSS YOUR OLD INTAKE!!!! :nono: 03/04 Cobra owners need these intakes when doing turbo swaps, and they are in short supply. Someone will buy it as is for their project and have it ported. Best of luck!

George