Progress Thread Amy's 83 Capri 5.0

• Sponsors (?)

Just picked these up today there off a Arizona car with all the hardware in them including one good door card.
image.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users
image.jpeg
I picked this baby up today from my local pawn shop. It's a fire power fp130 company. What's the best company to order my new floor any input would be great .

Reactions: 1 users
There you go! Get after it!

Anyone of the places is fine, generally they all come from the same manufacturer. LMR has been good to me and I got my floorboards from them.

I'm not knocking CJ Ponly Parts, or any of the other guys. I just know the LMR's customer service has been spectacular for me.

image.jpeg
I picked this baby up today from my local pawn shop. It's a fire power fp130 company. What's the best company to order my new floor any input would be great .

Is there a gas bottle with this system? You're gonna have a hard time welding sheet metal if this is a flux core only.
#1. Sheet metal is the single hardest steel to try and learn on when learning to weld. Even for seasoned welders with good equipment, it's real easy to make a mess, real quick.
Flux core burns hotter than mig wire at the same setting, and by the time you get enough amperage set to melt adequately, it's too hot to weld sheet metal. Add in the fact that one of the two metals you're trying to weld to is galvanized, and you have a real challenge in front of you.
#2. Alternately, it makes a mess as it is, with all the spatter, and smoke residue, if you can get it low enough to not burn through, then you have an even bigger mess to deal with.

If you've read anything I write, you'll know that I'm way less of a "you can do it" optimist when it comes to some areas of expertise. I think it's far better to let you know what you're up against before you burn through, warp, and have to compromise the welds by grinding the welded sheet metal back down to get them tolerable enough to consider the body work that follows.

If you are going to weld galvanized steel, you'll need to remove the galvanized coating before you start welding. Acid etch treatment, wire brushing with a power tool are just some of the more common methods. Zinc fumes are toxic and use of a chemical respirator is recommended when heat is applied to galvanized metal..

The last time I welded galvanized metal was back in the 70's using an oxygen/acetylene torch. Burn the zinc off with the first pass of the torch and wire brush it when you finish with the torch.Then go back and weld the steel. The gas torch worked well enough to do the job, even though I never was much of a welder. It was simple to control the heat as long as you have the correct size tip.

No worries and thanks for the info. I will not be doing this by myself. I got the welder from my uncle who is a welder and welding supply salesman. He will be helping me through out the project.

Reactions: 1 user
https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/18459605
I found this on the net today it's only about 3 hours away from me would this be a good donor car at that price
No,...this car should be the one you work on, and the one you currently have should be scrapped. To get a mega rare Capri that looks to be intact and running, and cut it up as a frame rail donor is just wrong.

Do yourself a favor. If you have 1800 to invest in a "donor," go buy this car, and have the one you have drug away.While it's listed as a "rust free" car minus the "patina" it probably has lived it's life in Michigan. And a 30 year old car in a rust belt, is rarely rust free. so I'd ask for better pictures of the frame rail, and floors preferable up on a lift.

Lastly,...I understand the sentimentality of the build,...but if you have to replace everything to keep a shell whats the difference. I'd rather find a part of the existing car that can be "merged" with the good one, for the sake of keeping a part of the car close to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
The 1800 dollar car is about as good as they come. It would be a travesty to cut it into patch panels not to mention a lot of unnecessary time and work.

It would be easier to turn the white on red then to salvage the red one.

Use the red one as the parts car and bring back the white one.

Hope you can get your hands on it !!! Good luck [emoji2]