Another brake thread

txredgt

10 Year Member
Oct 26, 2009
So I changed my pads on the fronts I would say a year ago or so and now I have noticed the rotors are starting to slightly have grooves in them. I didn't turn or have them resurfaced since they didn't look bad. After driving my car for close to 2 years now I have realized that I want more stopping power than the stock's can handle in their current form. My question is, will these help the stock brakes and will I feel a noticible difference:

DBA Cross-drilled/Slotted Rotors (94-04 GT/V6 Front Pair) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

Aesthetically they look 10x better but will they do much?

If not, my other options are some Cobra brakes which I have seen for at the very least 300 and those don't look like complete setups as well as needing touchup paint to look decent, TLC which could be at least 50-100 and if I need to add new lines thats more $$.

I guess my next option from what I see is this:

SSBC Force 10 Front Big Brake Kit (94-04 All) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

The reason why i say those is because I have close to a $200 credit from AM that I could use toward this from a previous return as well as the discount so that would bring it down to $980 or so for brand new, bigger brakes.

How much better would the SSBC be over the Cobra's? If I do buy the Cobra's what parts are needed? Most people selling them today are catering to fox people who need the spindles as well. Would it be better to find a set of Cobras and then use the discount for a set of the nice rotors?

Talking it out to myself the Cobra's seem like the route but I am affraid of getting junk and having to pay double in the end. About the only place I would trust would be MPS and they are $450 from them.. Maybe I will have a great score at a junkyard around me this coming weekend.

• Sponsors (?)

As far as stock brakes, I wouldn't invest that much into rotors that are the same size. The rotors (assuming they're the same size) won't make as much as a difference in stopping power as the correct pad will.

I have Summit Racing cross drilled and slotted rotors on the front of my car. They look good, have held up great, and they were very cheap ($50 a rotor or so back when I got them). I paired them with a set of EBC Greenstuff pads (mild to heavy street use) and stopping power did increase, although not by a huge margin.

I'd personally go with a set of Cobra/Mach/Bullitt brakes if I were you. I'm sure sure how the SSBC's perform in comparison, but the Cobra/Mach/Bullitt setup does a great job for the money. You'll also need the correct brake lines for the swap, keep that in mind.

Whatever you do, I suggest bleeding your brakes all around if you haven't done so in the last couple of years. THAT will help your brakes out a ton. My fluid was old, nearly black. Whenever I'd go to the track (autocross, circle, or drag strip) the brakes would fade way too quick for my liking and basically force me to let them cool before I could do anything again... after changing the fluid, this problem went away, pedal feel feel was improved, and they became a little more responsive.

The Cobra spec kit is enough unless you want the ultimate 4 piston kit hotstang suggests.

I'm running Mach 1 calipers (satin black finish with no wording on them), slotted rotors and Hawk HP+ plus in the front and ceramic rears with MM stainless lines. My car surprised the hell out of a guy with Cobra brakes in his fox. He is running ceramic pads and stock lines.

I'd suggest the 13 inch Cobra/Mach/bullitt kit and upgrade to some decent pads and stainless lines. The HP+ pads are great in my car. They have saved my ass from people cutting me off a few times since I put them in. Make sure to get SS lines too. MM has good quality lines with both banjo bolts included in their kits. I went with BrakeMotive on eBay's rotors. I had to call them to get the just slotted rotors and have them piece Mach front rotors and GT rears for my car. They sell Powerstop products, same as Summit's stuff (I think). Their rotors are zinc coated and I've had mine a little over a year and the coating is finally starting to wear off about 25k miles later. I'll definitely be going with them as soon as I need another set of rotors here. Make sure you flush the old fluid and grease your slide pins in the rear if your doing rear brakes too!

So question fellas.. Is 275 to my door too much for Cobra calipers? That is from a semi-local forum but I can't pick them up and they will need to be shipped. MPS has their caliper/rotor and lines for 250+30 to ship them.. Is that about the best deal I can get while trusting that the parts are actually good and which deal would you go with? I still could use some money at AM for the new brake lines and some rotors as well.

Also, will these clear 17x8 rims up front or will they need to be 17x9?

275 seems a little high, but I know they went up in price. WHen I bought mine they were $300 for both calipers AND the Cobra Brembo rotors.

As far as fitment, they'll fit just fine with a 17x8 wheel. I upgraded my brakes to the red Mach 1 calipers/brembo rotors before I purchased my FR500's and they fit perfectly with my stock 17x8 wheels.

I got mine from here (new calipers w/ brake pads loaded for both sides):
Buy Ford Racing Parts - Special Edition Bullitt Mustang Front Calipers

They are currently going for $250.... similar to what I paid.

The wheel width won't matter, the more important dimension is the diameter, 17" is the minimum for clearance (17's are just fine, no need to up it to 18's). I had cobra rotors on the stockers for a couple months until I got the 17x9's.

Besides that you probably just need any DOT 3 brake fluid from your local auto parts store and you could probably borrow a device to bleed the brakes at autozone and you are good to go. Several good posts above, I'll give a +1 to to the cobra brake upgrade. I have the fronts and it made a huge difference- now I have a solid pedal feel with no noticeable fade. The limiting factor at this point is the tires, not the brakes. :)

I got mine from here (new calipers w/ brake pads loaded for both sides):
Buy Ford Racing Parts - Special Edition Bullitt Mustang Front Calipers

They are currently going for $250.... similar to what I paid.

The wheel width won't matter, the more important dimension is the diameter, 17" is the minimum for clearance (17's are just fine, no need to up it to 18's). I had cobra rotors on the stockers for a couple months until I got the 17x9's.

Besides that you probably just need any DOT 3 brake fluid from your local auto parts store and you could probably borrow a device to bleed the brakes at autozone and you are good to go. Several good posts above, I'll give a +1 to to the cobra brake upgrade. I have the fronts and it made a huge difference- now I have a solid pedal feel with no noticeable fade. The limiting factor at this point is the tires, not the brakes. :)

Is buyfordracing 1 of the companies people have had problems with on here from? But 250 NEW beat the hell out of 275 USED. I can get those and then get the pads, rotors and lines from AM then.

Is buyfordracing 1 of the companies people have had problems with on here from? But 250 NEW beat the hell out of 275 USED. I can get those and then get the pads, rotors and lines from AM then.

Multiple horror stories about BFR. I bought my Mach 1 brake kit from them a couple years ago and didn't have a problem though.

I have had no problems with my brakes either. Also that $250 includes the ford racing PBR pads. :nice:

When I bought mine they were $299 and included the red calipers w/ the running pony, brake pads, and brembo rotors. I then ordered MM braided SS brake lines and I'm incredibly happy with the results :nice:

I didn't hear the BFR horror stories before I bought them, but the price was so good I probably would have rolled the dice and ordered from them anyways :shrug:

Something else to consider, should you ever come across the situation...

I put the larger 13" rotors on the front of my GT back in 2007. Everything works great...no complaints.

But...last year, I got a flat tire up front. Pulled over to the side of the road and changed it out (mind you, it's also about 1:00 in the morning at this point)...but my stock spare didn't clear the new rotor/caliper combo!

So either upsize the spare tire for those "just in case" moments or have a can of that fix-a-flat on hand. ;)

I put the larger 13" rotors on the front of my GT back in 2007. Everything works great...no complaints.

But...last year, I got a flat tire up front. Pulled over to the side of the road and changed it out (mind you, it's also about 1:00 in the morning at this point)...but my stock spare didn't clear the new rotor/caliper combo!

So either upsize the spare tire for those "just in case" moments or have a can of that fix-a-flat on hand. ;)

Even though all my wheels/tires are the same size so I can rotate them with no problem....I have one of these in my glovebox:
12 Volt Compact Tire Top Off Inflator - Repairing a flat tire? Slime Tire & Tube Sealant :)

Yea I thought about possibly getting a larger spare at a later date or just remember that if I ever get a flat with the front tires just to use the wheenie spare in the back and get to a place to fix the flat asap.

Thanks guys for the input on here. I think the best bet might be to cross my fingers and hope BFR can at least be decent to get me my calipers. Thiers will come with the correct banjo bolts correct? I will only need rotors and brakelines it sounds like. Would it be good to upgrade now to either slotted and vented, slotted only, or just plain calipers?

I bought slotted. I don't like the look of drilled ones and am afraid that whatever I buy, from Brembo made to Chinese made will crack. Like I said above, I got mine from BrakeMotive on eBay and love the quality of their rotors. Been about 20k on all rotors and Hawk HP+ pads in the front and their ceramics in the back. And they are cheaper than many other places.

Get whatever you like better....on the street it won't make a difference.

If you were going to race and be abusive on your brakes, the plain solid rotors are better suited.

Hmm I wouldn't say I abuse them.. Sounds like maybe just some slotted rotors will do the trick but I think the deal AM has for the regular brembo rotors and brake lines will be the best bet for me now. Thanks fellas hopefully I will order these pieces tmw and I'll cross my fingers buyfordracing has a decent staff to get my stuff to me. Thanks for the help as always.