You are going to love it
That said
Change the oil every 1.5k
Get to know Ford Tech Makuloco on YouTube
I drove a 2021 Exploder ST turbo the other day
Loved it
I know they are disposable around 90k
I might get one for my better half
I'll have to check him out. The Focus has almost 33,000 miles on it now. I have changed the oil every 3000 miles. That 5W-50 is the price of Channel #5. I think the diff service is at 40k.

Kurt

Turbo vehicles are fun to drive to me and I've definitely had my fair share already. Only turbo vehicle I own right now is my 6.7 Super duty, but I ordered one of those new Ford Maverick's last week with the 2.0 EB and am curious to see how that thing performs. Last 2.0T engine I messed with was my Audi A3, which was a fun little car. Simple turbo upgrade and basic mods put out over 350whp through the front tires. It was the definition of torque steer.
Unfortunately my Super Duty....................................has a gas engine. But it works for me. I had a turbo Toyota MR2 in the long long ago. It would be nothing by today's standards, but I really enjoyed turning up the wick on that thing and seeing what it would do.

Kurt

Unfortunately my Super Duty....................................has a gas engine. But it works for me. I had a turbo Toyota MR2 in the long long ago. It would be nothing by today's standards, but I really enjoyed turning up the wick on that thing and seeing what it would do.

Kurt
Nothing wrong with a gas Super Duty, I wasn't going to buy another diesel back when I bought this truck, but it came up for a good price and I couldn't resist. My next one will probably be a 7.3 gas to get away from all the diesel emissions/cost/ect.

My buddy had one of the turbo MR2's, they were fun car to mess around with and handled pretty well too. I've always had the most fun with my small turbo cars, even if they weren't really that fast. I have some weird obsession with older turbo volvos. Either turbo redblocks or early turbo 5cyl whiteblocks are just fun to mod imo.

If Mercedes goes all electric by 2030 like they say
Watch for a 4 motor Ford truck
You have all heard of the new Tesla S Plaid right?
Fastest production car ever (so far)
Thing about electric is The epa can kiss my A
That is what the manufacturers are thinking
And if the nuts keep charge or all that politics stuff
There will be subsidies forever we all get to pay for

Nothing wrong with a gas Super Duty, I wasn't going to buy another diesel back when I bought this truck, but it came up for a good price and I couldn't resist. My next one will probably be a 7.3 gas to get away from all the diesel emissions/cost/ect.
I bought a 6.2L gas super duty on purpose. I drive the truck less than 1000 miles a year, and I'm not pulling 15k with it. There was no reason to buy a diesel. I needed to have as little money in it as possible. I have a few friends with the 7.3L, and they are all going back to the 6.2L or upgrading to a diesel next chance they get. They all say the power difference between the two gas engines is almost not noticeable, but the 7.3L is horrendous on fuel consumption.

Kurt

If Mercedes goes all electric by 2030 like they say
Watch for a 4 motor Ford truck
You have all heard of the new Tesla S Plaid right?
Fastest production car ever (so far)
Thing about electric is The epa can kiss my A
That is what the manufacturers are thinking
And if the nuts keep charge or all that politics stuff
There will be subsidies forever we all get to pay for

I don't ever see myself buying an electric car, and you are right, the idea that the manufacturers are all going to electric cars is a cruel hoax. I'll tell you exactly what's going on. This is corporatist society we have built. Whenever there is a problem, it's the individual's responsibility to fix it. There is rampant disease, YOU need to go get a shot to fix it, but we aren't going to figure out to get more doctors, or healthcare for everyone, or stop doing business with Communist Countries that spread disease to save money. There is a carbon crisis, YOU need to go buy an electric car, we will continue to shut down nuclear reactors, not upgrade the electrical grid, continue to maximize shipping on filthy container ships to maximize profits, etc. You will never see a corporation make a real sacrifice. They control the message, and the politicians. In 20 years, everyone will still be making gasoline cars, and they will blame it on YOU, because YOU wouldn't do your part and buy an electric car.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user
Down here in Florida the diesel does not gel, it gets a black fungus growing in it, maybe it gels up north? I don't know, probably, I'm older and while fun to drive, I have no desire for a small displacement turbo car,
Now when talking trucks, I love my old 7.3 turbo SD, it may only get 12-13 mpg, fairly slow, but even after 20 years will still pull a house down the road, fully furnished with mom,dad, three kids and a dog.
and still get 12-13 mpg.
Don't get me wrong, I'm impressed by small displacement turbo cars

IMHO the 7.3 DIT is the best ever made
And they honk on when flogged
That said the trouble they had was depressing at times
They have their moments to put it lightly
The 6.0's that followed them was the biggest bought back truck in the history of the lemon law
Now that you have to pull the cab off to fix the new ones I am not real interested
They have some of the bugs worked out of the very new ones but I am still not having it
My rich friend has 5 ford trucks and I get to hear it about the troubles

Down here in Florida the diesel does not gel, it gets a black fungus growing in it, maybe it gels up north? I don't know, probably, I'm older and while fun to drive, I have no desire for a small displacement turbo car,
Now when talking trucks, I love my old 7.3 turbo SD, it may only get 12-13 mpg, fairly slow, but even after 20 years will still pull a house down the road, fully furnished with mom,dad, three kids and a dog.
and still get 12-13 mpg.
I have read about there being a fungus that now grows on ethanol gas mixes. Just in case, I put my stang in it’s stall with E-0. The other car I did not drive this summer is going to have to get out on the next dry days. The fuel in it’s tank has been going bad, even with Stabil!

I have read about there being a fungus that now grows on ethanol gas mixes. Just in case, I put my stang in it’s stall with E-0. The other car I did not drive this summer is going to have to get out on the next dry days. The fuel in it’s tank has been going bad, even with Stabil!
Stabil turns to gel too. It's not good stuff. Switch up to Star-Tron. A little dab will do you. It looks expensive, but with the mixing ratios, it's actually cheaper than Stabil. My small engine repair man introduced me to this stuff years ago, and it's a world of difference. I'd do a nitrous pass with a year old tank of gas treated with this stuff. I've completely stopped rebuilding carbs on my small engines for a decade now because of this stuff combined with ethanol free gas.

Amazon product ASIN B00D3IEIH2View: https://www.amazon.com/Star-Tron-Enzyme-Fuel-Treatment/dp/B00D3IEIH2/ref=asc_df_B00D3IEIH2/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241895017383&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2068297198421114593&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010816&hvtargid=pla-571869757878&th=1

Kurt

• Useful
I’ve never really had an issue with bad gas.

The gas in my mustang is 2 year old E-10. I’ve been siphoning it off slowly to use in my lawn equipment and it comes out clean and burns quite well. Never treated it at all.

I always hear about how the ethanol fuel turns to junk after 6 months but I was using my lawnmower with 2-year old ethanol fuel up until last month. Pretty sure my weed-whacker is running off 4-year old mixed gas. Always started first pull and ran perfectly.

I’m not saying it will never be a problem for anyone ever, but it seems like it just hasn’t been an issue for me. :shrug:

and still get 12-13 mpg.
I love my old 7.3L friends. You know that the last F350 7.3L dually produced pulls substantially less than an F150 does today. Not knocking the 7.3L, it was a great engine, but the 6.7L is amazing. The biggest improvement is the 6R140, and the 10R140 transmissions that come on the newer trucks. I'd rather have the 6 speed you could get on the 7.3L though.

Kurt

I’ve never really had an issue with bad gas.

The gas in my mustang is 2 year old E-10. I’ve been siphoning it off slowly to use in my lawn equipment and it comes out clean and burns quite well. Never treated it at all.

I always hear about how the ethanol fuel turns to junk after 6 months but I was using my lawnmower with 2-year old ethanol fuel up until last month. Pretty sure my weed-whacker is running off 4-year old mixed gas. Always started first pull and ran perfectly.

I’m not saying it will never be a problem for anyone ever, but it seems like it just hasn’t been an issue for me. :shrug:
Two year old gas is pushing it. I'd pull that gas tank and dump it before you have to have the tank boiled. The ethanol distorts the rubber parts in the carbs of small engines. It'll catch up to you.

Kurt

I love my old 7.3L friends. You know that the last F350 7.3L dually produced pulls substantially less than an F150 does today. Not knocking the 7.3L, it was a great engine, but the 6.7L is amazing. The biggest improvement is the 6R140, and the 10R140 transmissions that come on the newer trucks. I'd rather have the 6 speed you could get on the 7.3L though.

Kurt
the problem with the trans in the 7.3 in the era my truck was built, the 4ODLE or something like that was you can't lug it, it would be in overdrive by 37 mph if just slep'n down the road, at that point your still in the torque range with a heavy truck so the trans get beaten to death by the low rpm torque so I manipulate the overdrive by the button and keep it out of OD until past 45 mph unloaded and hold it out till over 55mph unless at max gvw then I don't let the OD engage, my trans will/has lasted 200k+ miles.

the problem with the trans in the 7.3 in the era my truck was built, the 4ODLE or something like that was you can't lug it, it would be in overdrive by 37 mph if just slep'n down the road, at that point your still in the torque range with a heavy truck so the trans get beaten to death by the low rpm torque so I manipulate the overdrive by the button and keep it out of OD until past 45 mph unloaded and hold it out till over 55mph unless at max gvw then I don't let the OD engage, my trans will/has lasted 200k+ miles.
That's a very specific solution to a very specific problem. I was more referring to the load capacity than a known problem. The transmission they put on that 7.3L is a limiting factor which keeps the tow capacity to around 10k lbs, which is less than an F150 today. Obviously coupled with other things, like the 7.3L is an extremely reliable and durable engine, but really didn't have much power or torque. The 6R140 kind of speaks for itself in capacity. The damn thing is 5 feet long and weighs 350lbs. I think the transmission did more for the Super Duty than the engine.

Kurt

I agree with you, my gvw is 15k lbs and the 7.3 has 225 hp with like 425 lb ft of torque just off idle. And that is a 1997 Ambulance spec chassis.
Back to turbo econoboxes, I was shamed by one of those wrx grandma cars when they first came out, glad nobody was around to see it.

That’s kinda why I’ve been siphoning it down to the bottom and tossing it in the lawn equipment. Don’t want to push my luck.
Using ethanol fuel in lawn equipment and generators is something the makers say is a bad idea. They are too cheap to use Viton parts. It’s cheaper to print a warning. I have used E-10 for decades in vehicles without any issues, until I forgot Stabil one fall in one vehicle. Then it smokes and runs on fewer than 8 cylinders until new gas is in the tank.