Any advice for a new buyer?

Bounty

Jun 14, 2009
Eglin AFB
Well I'm new here but I've loved Mustangs my entire life. I'm shipping out to basic training in January and was planning on getting a Mustang when I got back but I have some questions. We all pretty much know the 5.0 will be back in the 2011's but would it be worth it to get the new engine or the 2010 where at least I have the comfort of knowing all the 4.6's kinks have been worked out? I'm not sure how I'd feel driving a GT that makes the same power as the 2011 V6's.

I also talked to a dealer and he was telling me how they were told directly by Ford that the 2011's will have a N/A V6 as well as Ecoboost offering. I have a tough time believing anything someone at a dealership has to say, especially since I, at just 19, seem to know more about their vehicles but this guy was a serious Mustang fan, currently owning 4. I just thought I'd share that, not that it really means anything.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm old enough to be your grandpa, & one thing I've learned in a lifetime of fast cars & that is there's always going to be someone faster. I bought the new V8 GT 'vert & it is a sophisticated machine---My 1995 5 liter 'vert was faster, but that was because I made it so.

Just because the new V6 has 300+ hp, does not mean that it has as much power as the outgoing 4.6L. That horsepower number only represents a peak, if you study the dyno charts and the torque curve, you will see that the V8 is a much more powerful engine across the rpm range. That being said, I'd wait for the 5.0, you won't regret it and your resale value will be higher. I'm a military contractor myself and I don't get to drive my car that often due to travel. You'll enjoy driving whatever it is you buy whenever you get the chance to drive it. Have fun.