anyone know how to fix tvs?

Stang|ess

seeking cyber partner(s)
Oct 18, 2003
Hawaii
I bought a Sony KV32FS12 from my friend last night, and moved it into my room. When I turned it on, I noticed that the picture is slightly curved. I found out how to enter the service menu, but have no idea wtf I'm doing in there. Can I even fix the problem at all? Anyone have any input?

Sorry for the bad picture, I took it with my phone.

View attachment 461198

View attachment 461200

Thanks for any help!

• Sponsors (?)

Could the tv be near a strong magnetic field? The strength of a magnetic field decreases very rapidly with distance so it would have to be very close.

Common sources of spurious magnetic fields that could cause this include speakers and fans.

The adjusters for this are typically not available to consumers anymore on newer tvs. They are typically inside the case.

DO NOT REMOVE THE CASE FROM THE TELEVISION, there are VERY STRONG electrical charges in there even when the tv is unplugged from the wall. You COULD EASILY DIE...

holy crap, you sure know how to scare a fella.

some people said speakers, but I don't have any speakers in my room. I do have a fan, but that's about 5 feet away, and another tv that's unplugged right next to it.

I doubt that's what's affecting it, but ill see when I get home.

yall pwn!

agreed... TV repair is NO JOKE. I can't remember the name of the part but I was looking up how to change the coolant in the guns in my sony big screen and theres this one part that retains power no matter how long it's been unpluged.. So All I did was clean the mirror and gun surface inside and that was it. I am all set on dying, I will just buy a new big screen soon.

GT12207 said:
I don't know what brand TV you have there, but with all my TV's and monitors, I could adjust the "tilt", "pincushion", "width", "height", etc of the screen. Just browse around under the SETUP menu.

TV's are a lot like monitors these days. I would "drill down" into EVERY menu option to look for the above mentioned settings.

Then (if you still can't fix it) search for someone somewhere else (besides a car board) to answer your question. TV repair is not cheap if you hire someone.

:SNSign:

Are you using a cable box and, if you are, have you checked the curve with a game system or DVD player to see if it's still there? Some cable boxes I deal with cause a curve like that because of the way their software is programmed. If it's still there with another source, than it's likely in the set itself and can't be adjusted by the user. It'll have to be looked at by a technician.

I don't think it's anything serious, though. I wouldn't worry about it unless it really bothers you or gets worse. I've seen brand new Sony Vega's with the exact same problem.

It's not a big deal really, but it's quite noticable when there are scrolling texts on the screen.

There's nothing plugged in the tv, no dvd player, cable box, gaming console, anything. It's just plugged into the power outlet, then a cable line into the TV.