Back From Shop: mrvax's Mustang gets Whacked!

mrvax

Stay thirsty my friends
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
SN Moderator: Orlando, Fl.
I hit a driver late yesterday afternoon. My duaghter suffered some pretty good necj injuries from the seatbelt. She's home from the hospital & resting now.

I've been driving legalily since 1976. Had 2 accidents before yesterday. I was rear-ended at a red light once and rear-ended in a California highway traffic jam.

No matter how safe you drive, if someone is determined to drive like a fool, then you may have an accident anyway.

I was heading south on a 4 lane road in the left lane at traffic speed. Moderate traffic at the time. Went under a highway overpass and knew there was a ramp on my right that permited a highway exit to the road I was on.

Some guy (probably on a cell phone) in a nice BMW 740 came through that off ramp very fast, entered the road I was on w/o looking, moved from the right lane to the left lane just in front of me.

While he was entering the road I was on I hit my brakes and horn but the bastid kept right on comming right into my lane and there was no way I could avoid him.

My right front fender wailed his left rear quarter and bumper.

After 2 hours, the Florida Highway Police came by. The driver attempted to say that I rear-ended him and he was already in my lane!

I showed the cop the skid marks and where the accident occured and he knew in a second the guy was at fault. The cop phoned my witness and them wrote up the papers. He cited the guy for a failure to yeild, improper lane change, etc.

I'm trying to go through his insurance, Geico and hope to get a resolution soon.

Both air bags deployed, right front fender mashed, rt front headlight, bumper & foglight are history.

:(

Yes, I'm glad we are OK. It could have been worse.

• Sponsors (?)

sorry to hear about your daughter's injuries. cars can be replaced. its amazing though how people always want to lie, saying it was your fault. ive lost all hope/trust in society as a whole.

I cant stand stupid drivers. I live in a place where during the summer the population roughly doubles to almost triples and its all out of towners who drive with no sense at all.

damn man im glad you and your daughter are alright. that really sucks.

I hate when someone screws up and they immidately try and point the finger at you and attempt to make it look like its your fault and not theirs.

Hope all is well today and you get back on track.
I see you are in ORL. I wondered if you were on I4 in that fog/smoke mess yesterday that involved 70 cars, 4 deaths and 38 injuries. I guess you probably would have mentioned that...Thankfully you weren't caught up in that. This is probably why it took the FHP 2 hours to get to you.
Hang in there buddy!

I wasn't in the Orlando morning I4 pile up. My daughter was working in the hospital at the time and told me about it.

This guy was an out-of-towner. Rome, Georgia to be specific. I'm reasonably sure he was chatting away on his cell. He is 2 years younger than me, 45.

Thankfully Geico called back and told me they will cover all. They just towed the car away and I'm being picked up by Enterprize now. They said no to a Corvette rental. :(

I'll post up some pics for you sadistic bastids later if you want.
It doesn't look so bad but I know an airbag is $1000 a piece!

OK. Here's a pic of Melissa, since you don't know her, believe me her neck is swollen:
215740.jpg

And now the car:
215741.jpg

215742.jpg

215743.jpg

I hope it's not totaled. I just sunk 3k into it. See my 100,000 mile thread.

Here's one from the scene of the crime.
If you look under the firetruck you can see my skidmarks. If you look to the upper left, you can see the exit ramp the assclown came off of and he went directly into the left (fast/passing) lane.

215750.jpg

I am so sorry to hear that and am very thankful you two are ok, I hope her scars heal up well. I know its a small concern, but Geico is always fast and fair in my experience with them. They will take care of you :)