Can I build a NEW 66 Mustang coupe?

mustangprodude

Jun 7, 2004
I made the last payment on my '00 GT a couple of months ago. I've taken good care of it and it still looks like new so I really have no need to go in debt over a new Mustang, even though they are cool. But I thought instead of going in debt on a new 06 Stang and watch it deppreciate like crazy. Why not spend my old monthly payment on building a NEW old Mustang. One that is almost certain to gain value instead of losing. So, I just bought a 66 Mustang coupe complete body this week from Ebay. It's all there (body wise) and has had the pans replaced. I have tons of parts I've gathered over the years, including engines and trannies. I even have a very rusted 64.5 D-code sitting out in my field. So my goal is too build a very simple yet nice new old Mustang that drives like the new ones. Browsing through all the parts catalogs tells me that all you need is a basic chassis, money and time. Us Mustangers are certainly lucky in that respect.

I'd like to hear eveyones thoughts on this. Especially people who have done it. How much of a challenge am I facing? I'm not looking to restore it to concours specs, just a cool driver.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm pretty sure I know what I want. See the attached pic. I have a 351W and T5 sitting around that I'd like use in it. I'd like to run it at the dragstrip or road course on weekends. I guess I need to make a list of exactly how I want it. It'll take me a few years to complete for sure. I have other Stangs to drive so I can focus on doing this right.

Attachments

• 66coupe.jpg
    66coupe.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 166
Is the after picture a Dallas Mustang's reproduction of the Teralingua (sp?) ?
Very nice direction to go in my opinion.
I think I saw on their site that they are selling their versions of this car for $78,000 !
I would assume that Dallas Mustang has most of the parts available to build the car you desire.
Scott

i would start be having the shell bead blasted, or better yet acid dipped and then E-coated, but the E-coating is big $$$.

next i would do an and all metal work that needs to be done, including any custom stuff you plan on doing, like mini-tubs, fender flares, etc.

do all the fab work at this time as well, any mounts, crossmembers, sub frame connectors, etc.

test fit all engine, trans, rear end, suspension and chassis parts and whatever else that you need to. mock the entire car up (minus interior)

once everything fits and you have made sure you won't have any problems with re-assembly do the final bodywork and paint at this time.

then reassemble everyting in categories and assembly/sub-assembly, for instance do the entire rear-end, rear suspension, brakes, shocks springs, etc.
then do the fuel system from the rear working forward, next would be front suspension, brakes and steering. you get the picture.

of course there will be obstacles and some things might change before final assembly but make a plan and stick to it as best as possible and you will have a totally awesome car built exactly to your specs

steemin - Yep, that pic is of the Dallas Mustang DM-450. Retailing for $78k... yikes! I won't be able to build one of that level. I like the nice simple look along with the power and handling.

krash - Hey what's up man! Yeah i still have the 65 fastback. I'm getting ready to pull the motor to fix some leaks and get rid of the power steering mess. The stock power sterring was NOT made for hi-po action.

bnickel - Thanks for the good advice! Just what I need. The acid dip makes me a little nervous. I'm afraid the car would fall apart when it came out of the dip. Is there a website that demos that process?? Would like to learn more. I was going to buy a media blaster and strip it that way. After reading your advice it occured to me that I really need to sit down and write out my goals for this car. Make a plan and stick too it.

I picked up the car this past Saturday. Yesterday I cleaned it up real good and took a good look at exactly what I have to work with. It's a local car that looks to not have been abused. It was originally a 6 cyl/ 3 speed, so it wasn't run to death. Somebody has already stripped it down good and replaced some floor pan metal. All in all it seems to obe a good car to work with. Plus I won't feel bad modifying an original 6 cyl car.

mustangprodude said:
steemin - Yep, that pic is of the Dallas Mustang DM-450. Retailing for $78k... yikes! I won't be able to build one of that level. I like the nice simple look along with the power and handling.

krash - Hey what's up man! Yeah i still have the 65 fastback. I'm getting ready to pull the motor to fix some leaks and get rid of the power steering mess. The stock power sterring was NOT made for hi-po action.

bnickel - Thanks for the good advice! Just what I need. The acid dip makes me a little nervous. I'm afraid the car would fall apart when it came out of the dip. Is there a website that demos that process?? Would like to learn more. I was going to buy a media blaster and strip it that way. After reading your advice it occured to me that I really need to sit down and write out my goals for this car. Make a plan and stick too it.

I picked up the car this past Saturday. Yesterday I cleaned it up real good and took a good look at exactly what I have to work with. It's a local car that looks to not have been abused. It was originally a 6 cyl/ 3 speed, so it wasn't run to death. Somebody has already stripped it down good and replaced some floor pan metal. All in all it seems to obe a good car to work with. Plus I won't feel bad modifying an original 6 cyl car.
If you read this months Hot Rod a company called Dynacon is reproducing entire 69 Camaro convertibles with coupes to follow. They are talking currently with Ford about 67, 68 fastbacks. If all goes well no more high priced fastbacks. You'll be able to start with a rustfree car from scratch.

Yeah I read about that. Did you see the price???? It was like right at $11k! Just for the firewall to the trunklid. At first I thought that would be cool. But then I got to thinking about the price and that it's made in China, and that you can't put a Camaro emblem on it. Personally I just feel better about spending that kinda dough on something that is real. That's come from the Ford factory, that's seen all sorts of history over the years. Yes some pieces that I may patch into my car are fabbed in China. But I still feel good about the real deal. And one more thing.... you can't call the repo Camaro a Camaro. GM would NOT let the name go on a car if it's not the real deal. I'm sure the Mustang will be the same way. Maybe you could call it a T-5 though.

Well the good news would be that if they did start making the 67/68 fastback shells, then Unique performance would have something to buy and leave the originals alone. Good news for those of use who have been looking at getting one.

65-66 Coupes are good drivers. Parts are available for almost everything you could want, they are easy to work on because they don't have a computer keeping it from performing, and they don't have so much emission crap on the engine that you have to pull parts for 2 hours before you get to the engine. I plan on driving mine (in nice weather of course) when it is done, I hate trailer queens.