Changing Things Up This Season...1st Track Outing!

• Sponsors (?)

Nitrous will need you to look down into the plug, at the base of the porcelain. The plug looks ok overall, I can't tell the anelment line on the ground strap. But you want that blue line on the knee

I can't really tell much by looking down in the plug, but I think that has a lot to do with the fact that these plugs have been ran. The real tale will come Friday night, pending rain. Thanks to all who looked.

Joe

@a91what

I know I am living in the Dark Ages, but I do not have a wideband or a tuning device. However, I do have an old SVO extender which allows me to bypass the rev limiter and adjust the air fuel ratio at wide open throttle. That being said, it is currently set at 13 to 1, should I leave it where it be, or should I richen it up?

Joe

@a91what

I know I am living in the Dark Ages, but I do not have a wideband or a tuning device. However, I do have an old SVO extender which allows me to bypass the rev limiter and adjust the air fuel ratio at wide open throttle. That being said, it is currently set at 13 to 1, should I leave it where it be, or should I richen it up?

Joe
That depends if the car is running well with that afr no reason to change it. To verify I would need a plug from an N/A wot pull to check from. I have seen as lean as 13.5 na wot. Big thing is to give the engine what it wants, let the plugs tell you what's right.

That depends if the car is running well with that afr no reason to change it. To verify I would need a plug from an N/A wot pull to check from. I have seen as lean as 13.5 na wot. Big thing is to give the engine what it wants, let the plugs tell you what's right.

It has been run at 13:1 setting since installed on the car. I have read, keyword read, that nitrous cars don't need to run richer like a forced induction car due to the cooling effects of the nitrous, claiming that the richer tunes for FI cars uses the extra fuel to cool the charge, and that a n/a AFR should be a happy nitrous AFR too.

Are you suggesting richer based on the plug, or just as rule of thumb? That looks nice, but not in the budget right now.

Joe

needs more timing in it for sure... but take a 5/8" hole saw and run it along the back side of the nut and pull the plug apart. you'll be able to get us a better picture of the fuel ring.

just remember you will not hurt a motor going lean on nitrous... you'll burn it up when you have too much timing.
SO lets get the fuel taken care of first then bring the timing back.

Reactions: 2 users
needs more timing in it for sure... but take a 5/8" hole saw and run it along the back side of the nut and pull the plug apart. you'll be able to get us a better picture of the fuel ring.

just remember you will not hurt a motor going lean on nitrous... you'll burn it up when you have too much timing.
SO lets get the fuel taken care of first then bring the timing back.

That is that kind of advice I need

Joe

haha im sure some ones going to not believe me about the going lean but its what ever they dont have to believe me...

just keep them from looking like this and you'll be good!

Attachments

• nippedplug.jpg
    nippedplug.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 106
Reactions: 1 user
haha im sure some ones going to not believe me about the going lean but its what ever they dont have to believe me...

I have read several posts by Monty on YB where he claims the same. Timing and too rich kills pistons.

Joe

7 pistons this year in o'Neil's car. 1800+ PPh in that single plate is not a happy camper .

@RangerJoe for what it's worth I am still learning every time we go to the track . Derrick is far more versed in nitrous tune ups. But please feel free to keep tagging me as I like to see the plugs to compare and contrast from what I have seen .

I have read several posts by Monty on YB where he claims the same. Timing and too rich kills pistons.

Joe
correct... too rich and it will lift a ring land

7 pistons this year in o'Neil's car. 1800+ PPh in that single plate is not a happy camper .

@RangerJoe for what it's worth I am still learning every time we go to the track . Derrick is far more versed in nitrous tune ups. But please feel free to keep tagging me as I like to see the plugs to compare and contrast from what I have seen .
even as long as ive been doing this im still learning every time out.

Reactions: 1 user
my air fuels on a nitrous car been 11.5 to 11.7 for years now..not a foxbody a newer FI car.. my timing is backed out....good thing with newer cars i can watch Short term and long term knock...that helps alot...never heard going lean wont hurt the motor...can you please explain?

11.5-11.7 is too rich for anything even large quantities of boost.

12-12.5 is the magic number in boost

I have never had a wideband on a nitrous car, always read the plugs.

Disclaimer on AFR every engine wants something a little different. Give it what it wants.

11.5-11.7 is too rich for anything even large quantities of boost.

12-12.5 is the magic number in boost

I have never had a wideband on a nitrous car, always read the plugs.

Disclaimer on AFR every engine wants something a little different. Give it what it wants.

A NA motor runs at 12.5 wide open.. no?...so in boost or on spray i was told 11.5 hmmmm so i should lean my car out then?