Changing Things Up This Season...1st Track Outing!

• Sponsors (?)

I've never heard of hard tire racing till I read through this thread. So cool. Has a real street race feel to it and I like that. Not a bunch of trailer queens doing no prep racing. Man I wish there was a track close to me.

Reactions: 1 user
hooks good, but, I cannot believe how they stay planted on a pretty aggressive 1-2 shift.
oh, congrats!

This car is strange. If I burn them intentionally from first gear, it will smoke them all the way through second. If I can get them to plant in first, they will stay.

I think my next move it to start trying tire preps. I need to cut a low 1.8x 60ft.

Joe

Reactions: 3 users
LOL! low 1.8 on "regular" street tires... you are a better man than me... you'll probably get there which is the even crazier part.
No way I would have the patience for that. I give you a tonne of credit. It's not like you have never run a real tire and carried a tire to a 1.5 60', and yet here you are challenging the crap out of your skill set. I tried drag radials (a sticky delight compared to what you are doing), and after 6 passes gave up and went back to DOT's. LOL!
FYI, I don't totally suck at this, and my best on a BFG Comp T/A (remember those?) was a 1.89... but was usually 2.0x getting a lucky 1.9x here and there. My best on a DR was a 1.78... and you are shooting for that ball park with PepBoys specials.
Again, hat is tip'd sir.
Love that you are sharing this with us.
I'm hooked on following your progress.

One more thing... if you were running an auto, or a McLeod adjustable ($$$) or the like, this would be interesting...
But you are running... what? A pretty aggressive clutch if I recall... so this isn't an adjust this and dial that exercise, this is a left foot right foot coordinated dance... this becomes beyond interesting for me.
This is all about the driver.

For anyone that has never been to a track, they are prep'd to work well with hot/soft racing rubber... you can hook better on the street with a street tire than you can at the track with a street tire. (ever wonder why magazines test cars on unprepped asphalt and get numbers... but then you see those cars at the track and they run near what the magazines say... there is a reason for that).

RJ,
How many in this series are running a standard trans and doing well?

One more thing... if you were running an auto, or a McLeod adjustable ($$$) or the like, this would be interesting...
But you are running... what? A pretty aggressive clutch if I recall... so this isn't an adjust this and dial that exercise, this is a left foot right foot coordinated dance... this becomes beyond interesting for me.
This is all about the driver.

For anyone that has never been to a track, they are prep'd to work well with hot/soft racing rubber... you can hook better on the street with a street tire than you can at the track with a street tire. (ever wonder why magazines test cars on unprepped asphalt and get numbers... but then you see those cars at the track and they run near what the magazines say... there is a reason for that).

RJ,
How many in this series are running a standard trans and doing well?

I run a Ram, I think it is a powergrip HD? 550 HP rated. I don't get to go very often, so it's hard to keep up with everyone, but I can only recall one other stick guy I have seen running. In all seriousness, I got lucky. None of the fast guys showed up. A lot of them tire prep and there is no size limit. They soften tires, spray them with trackbite and run ballast in the rear. I set a 1.8x as a goal just because I think it will get me close, but I bet some of them are faster than that. I have seen internet claims of guys running deep into the 10's on the same tires I have now.

Joe

I was able to get a 7.2 at 96mph in the 1/8th with a terrible 2.2 ft.....

I can't launch for chit on street tires your numbers are incredible on a tire like that. Takes a lot of clutch control to achieve a number like that.

I was able to get a 7.2 at 96mph in the 1/8th with a terrible 2.2 ft.....

I can't launch for chit on street tires your numbers are incredible on a tire like that. Takes a lot of clutch control to achieve a number like that.

The best run I made that night, not on video, involved a lot of slipping of the clutch. It actually burned it and it smelled the rest of the night, but I could tell that it dug out pretty good. The clutch would not last long if I launched it like that every time though.

Joe

I just can't believe that you are doing it with a stick too. I can't hook for :poo: on the street no matter how hard I try to slip the clutch and pedal dance. Keep up the good work Joe.