Do they sell short antennas for our cars?

Aliate X

May 9, 2005
Rockland NY
I hate my long ass antenna, it looks so stupid, makes the car look like an R/C car, what do you guys do about this? Do they sell short rubber ones? My friend has one on his 04 mach1, it looks like sex.

• Sponsors (?)

yes at most every autoparts store...heres mine...

711-06.jpg

100_0020.jpg

Attachments

• 711-06.jpg
    711-06.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 100_0020.jpg
    100_0020.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 92
It's easy to do yourself. Take the antenna off the car and place it in a vice with the ball end sticking out but fairly close to the vice. Loosely place a pair of pliers under the bottom of the ball and strike the pliers with a hammer so that the pliers hit the ball to lift off the antenna. When you do it hard enough the ball will come off, just be careful not to let the ball fly too far.

Cut the antenna to the desired length, and carefully smooth/round the edge of the antenna that you are going to use. Put the antenna back into the vice, place the ball back onto the the antenna. Holding the antenna ball with pliers, firmly strike ball with hammer until it seats back onto antenna.

Return antenna to car, hope you didn't cut so short that reception sucks.

Good luck

a friend of mine has a antenna for his TV that goes on the inside of the car. I was wondering if there is a kit like this available for our cars, or a generic one, so that we could shave the antenna completely.

The only thing i don't like about the exterior of my car is the antenna. Like said above..it makes it look like an RC car

Blakthorn said:
this is the type I have - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1979...ewItemQQcategoryZ33639QQitemZ8072691768QQrdZ1

personally I like this one because it looks like stock just a lot shorter, i have no problems with radio reception, and also after a while those rubber ones bend, this one stays put
You could have saved $20 and just shortened the stock antenna, because that's all they did.

88Stang331 said:
a friend of mine has a antenna for his TV that goes on the inside of the car. I was wondering if there is a kit like this available for our cars, or a generic one, so that we could shave the antenna completely.

The only thing i don't like about the exterior of my car is the antenna. Like said above..it makes it look like an RC car
I wonder if you can buy some kind of antenna that sticks to the windshield. Much like newer cars that have no antenna, they have little antenna wires built into the windshield sometimes. I wonder if they could make a thin strip that could stick somewhere in the corner of the windshield or something so that it can't really be seen. :shrug:
I plan on eventually shaving my antenna completely whenever I repaint the car. I don't ever really listen to radio, but if I ever wanted to, having a small discrete antenna stuck to the windshield would be cool.

I will actually be "hiding" my antenna. Already welded and smoothed the hole for it, now just have to make the new bracket, and mount it. If it works Ill be sure to let everyone know where I put it, if not... Ill be buying one for the windshield.

88Stang331 said:

They make generic hidden antennas, but they aren't cheap. Some of the ones I've seen are around $40. A Google search will bring up quite a few hits.

95 Laser GT Ver said:
It's easy to do yourself. Take the antenna off the car and place it in a vice with the ball end sticking out but fairly close to the vice. Loosely place a pair of pliers under the bottom of the ball and strike the pliers with a hammer so that the pliers hit the ball to lift off the antenna. When you do it hard enough the ball will come off, just be careful not to let the ball fly too far.

Cut the antenna to the desired length, and carefully smooth/round the edge of the antenna that you are going to use. Put the antenna back into the vice, place the ball back onto the the antenna. Holding the antenna ball with pliers, firmly strike ball with hammer until it seats back onto antenna.

Return antenna to car, hope you didn't cut so short that reception sucks.

Good luck
Nice. Just shortened one of my antennas (half-length). The reduction in drag should net at least 3mph on the big end. :hail2: