Fox Horsepower

May not be an 86 engine, I looked in the spark plug holes when I bought it and it has the eyebrows on the piston tops, I learned to look for those before, I was told that they thought it was an 86 motor but it sat under the bench wraped up for years so memory may be fuzzy. I'm putting it on a lift soon to do some maintenance and insection so I will look for a date code then. I need to pull the intake and the timing cover to fix leaks, thats why I asked about the cam, just one more step to change it although I'm pretty satisfied with the stocker, what about 1.7's on a stock cam? I like sneeky hp, hard to hide a blower.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

May not be an 86 engine, I looked in the spark plug holes when I bought it and it has the eyebrows on the piston tops, I learned to look for those before, I was told that they thought it was an 86 motor but it sat under the bench wraped up for years so memory may be fuzzy. I'm putting it on a lift soon to do some maintenance and insection so I will look for a date code then. I need to pull the intake and the timing cover to fix leaks, thats why I asked about the cam, just one more step to change it although I'm pretty satisfied with the stocker, what about 1.7's on a stock cam? I like sneeky hp, hard to hide a blower.

If it has the 4 eye brows on the top of the pistons, then you should have no problems. If you are running a stock ford head, I'd recommend running dual ratio rockers. 1.6's or 1.65 (scorpion brand) on the intake valves and 1.7's or 1.72's (scorpion brand) on the exhaust. These ford small engines respond more to this combo than to 1.7's across the board. This is because the exhaust ports flow a lot less than the intake ports, so it creates more of a balance between the two. For the next combustion cycle, you will have more fresh air/fuel mixture, and less residual burned mixture (exhaust) hanging around.

I like the stock cam in my 92. Threw some 1.7 full roller rockers on for some more lift and top it off with 10psi boost.

Dont need a radical attitude to :poo: and git..... Life is good!

Reactions: 1 users
There was a write up in one of the magazines about making power with a ford 5.0. They actually made more power with stock can and 1.7 rockers on exhaust and 1.6 on intake. For some reason 1.7 hurt a couple horsepower when on intake and exhaust.

Ford always restricted exhaust flow. You'd be surprised what a little more lift and some porting will do on the exhaust side of a 302.