gt40 quick opinion question for all

1990Coupe

Founding Member
Mar 11, 2002
Toms River NJ
I have a set of gt40 heads I just picked up along with cobra 1.7 roller rockers. I've read to upgrade the valve springs when running aftermarket cams, but my plan is to run a stock cam. This is a street car, and with the stock cam i probably won't be up over 5500 RPM. Should i really go ahead and drop the 150 beans on some Trick Flow springs?

Want to hear your opinions :)

• Sponsors (?)

If you wanna risk it sure dont bother dropping money on new springs.Or you could just take them to a machine shop and im sure they would tell you the cheapest but good springs to get for those heads.And why not get springs anyways just cuz your never going to over rev it dosent mean it wont happen by accident.

stock springs wear down over time too, I would just drop the 150.00 and get the TFS upgrade springs. cheap insurance that you wont have to pull a head and replace valve(s)

Sounds good.. I'm hoping its not going to cost alot to have the springs installed. I don't have tools to install em.

Autozone should rent the springs compressor to install them your self.Its very easy and the tfs kit is ment for iron ford heads.So its a straight job no measuring or having to do homewrok on it.

The trickflow springs are very easy to install. Taking them off was a little difficult the first time I did it. I used different compressors for each valve. For the one with the 2 piece retainer that holds the keeper, I used the big clamp looking one that has the pointer pushing the valve. I used that one to bring down the big retainer, and I used a 15mm socket and a hammer to drop the smaller retainer. And for the one with the single retainer holding the kepper, I used the over head twist type compressor, and once you have the spring compressed as much as you can, you hold the bottom of the valve with your hand and hit the top of the compressor with a hammer and itll break it loose. You will probably need a magnet for this one. If using new spring kit you probably wont need any of this but i still labled all valve, springs, and retainers, to keep them together.

Installing them is even easier, the tfs kit comes with everything you need to install the new springs, even has a spring height tool. I assembled a complete head in like 15 minutes.

The trickflow springs are very easy to install. Taking them off was a little difficult the first time I did it. I used different compressors for each valve. For the one with the 2 piece retainer that holds the keeper, I used the big clamp looking one that has the pointer pushing the valve. I used that one to bring down the big retainer, and I used a 15mm socket and a hammer to drop the smaller retainer. And for the one with the single retainer holding the kepper, I used the over head twist type compressor, and once you have the spring compressed as much as you can, you hold the bottom of the valve with your hand and hit the top of the compressor with a hammer and itll break it loose. You will probably need a magnet for this one. If using new spring kit you probably wont need any of this but i still labled all valve, springs, and retainers, to keep them together.

Installing them is even easier, the tfs kit comes with everything you need to install the new springs, even has a spring height tool. I assembled a complete head in like 15 minutes.

To help free up the keepers from the retainer's i use a socket thats big enough to only touch the retainer and not the keepers.Hold it on the retainer and hit it with a hammer once or twice.