GT500 value

351CJ said:
Rick I agree with your analysis, except that any savy investor who can afford to ride out the stock market or real estate market over the long haul will be able to make at least 5% over inflation and as much as 8% over inflation.
That means you are making the car investment look far better than it really is. I toally agree, investing in a new car at the peak of the buying frenzy for investment purposes is just plain foolish.

You're right, I was playing it safe and conservative, knowing that even then, it wouldn't paint a pretty picture.

I collect cars... But I never approached it from an investment standpoint, just like most art collectors could give a damn what the future may bring for a painting they love. But when I hear of people collecting cars purely on financial speculation, I can't help myself from injecting a dose of reality.

Fact is, I suspect that ALOT of these Shelbys are going to be "stashed". As-such, 20 years from now, the market will be flush with low-mile examples, which will drive costs DOWN, as there's a limited market for vehicles that are so low-mile, you can't feel real good about driving them or enjoying them. That leaves you stuck selling to serious collectors, who are (by and large) a fairly shrewd and savvy lot. Case-in-point, 1978 Corvette Pace Cars. Chevy made a bunch (relatively speaking), and a bunch of them (also relative) got stashed away still in-the-plastic by speculators and collectors. In today's dollars, just adjusted for inflation and nothing else, those cars are worth less now then they were new.

People who don't know their history are doomed to repeat it.

BTW, I never said that gas prices exclusively killed the first muscle car era. I just said it was a contributing factor, among safety, insurance issues, smog issues, etc... Even still, Pontiac still managed to slip out the SD455 up 'til 1974. And the gas crisis also played an instrumental role in muscle cars being dirt-cheap as used cars in the mid-70's, subsequently causing their high rate of attrition as folks used 'em like toilet paper, and then flushed 'em once they were used-up.

Good thread....

• Sponsors (?)

Agreed, nice thread.

I wish the practical thinking displayed here would seep into the brains of the guys willing to throw money at these cars for crazy over MSRP prices.
I expect a RAPID burst in the present bubble as some have said, but I don't see an overall decrease in horsepower anytime soon. I think the big three will adopt enough hybrids and smart smaller cars to make up for a few halo gas guzzlers....

Now if I could just decide which specialty vehicle off this platform I want!?!

Chuck

I turned down a new 2003 Mach 1 in early 2003 at $3,000 over sticker. Six months later the same car, unsold, was available for sticker, about $29,000. I bought it a year after first looking at it for about $24,000, taxes included.
I wish I still had it.
A good 2003 Mach 1 can be had for about $19,000 or so. I think you can predict something similar happening to the GT500.
I also think the Shelby GT will be worth more in the long run and I am afraid it will be out of reach of most people by the time dealer markups are added. The Hertz version will definitely be untouchable by all but the very rich.
I have Shelby's autograph on a couple of photos, one I obtained in person. I might take a new Shelby GT for it, but not much less.

stanmckinney said:
I turned down a new 2003 Mach 1 in early 2003 at $3,000 over sticker. Six months later the same car, unsold, was available for sticker, about $29,000. I bought it a year after first looking at it for about $24,000, taxes included.
I wish I still had it.
A good 2003 Mach 1 can be had for about $19,000 or so. I think you can predict something similar happening to the GT500.
I also think the Shelby GT will be worth more in the long run and I am afraid it will be out of reach of most people by the time dealer markups are added. The Hertz version will definitely be untouchable by all but the very rich.
I have Shelby's autograph on a couple of photos, one I obtained in person. I might take a new Shelby GT for it, but not much less.

IMHO the jury is still out on even the Shelby GT and Hertz edition. We don't know how the market will respond to all these Shelby vehicles everywhere. We also don't know what Shelby has up his sleeve for other specialty Mustangs, nor do we know what those build numbers will be if and when they are produced. A lot of unkown variables to judge a future collector's value on. We DO know that the Hertz edition cars are limited numbers, unlike the 7000+ per year of the GT500s. This should equate to holding value in the short run, but if there are further Shelby vehicles produced in the near term as Ford tries to strike some more while the iron's hot, it will have a dilution effect on all of these specialty vehicles.

We won't be seeing true Barret Jackson auction prices for 25-30 years, and who knows what will happen between now and then.

I'd rather drive it now, and enjoy the rarity of it while I drive it. Sure, take good care of it. It should retain some value. But never consider these things a guaranteed retirement. You may be Enron'd in that deal.

Chuck