Help Me Fix My Steep Driveway/curb So I Can Get An S550

You raise some valid points. But the reality is different depending on where you live. I drive a UPS truck for a living, so I think it's safe to say I see A LOT of driveways. And here, there are so many people who do this that nobody cares. I saw many really old ones just today that are solid and stable. I have a background in construction and while I have not laid very much concrete, I could make it look reasonably smooth with a trowel. Now I would not do this in a new neighborhood, that's different. It would look terrible next to all the new materials. But this is an almost 20 year old neighborhood and my curb is already chewed up from 2 repavings. Bridjit will cost $500. I think that's excessive. I'd be happy to pay $300 for it if it spanned my entire driveway, but it won't. With an extra section, and shipping. It's $500. And someone could steal it.

• Sponsors (?)

OK, no Mustang stuff here today but we pimped my wife's ride, a '15 Honda CR-V LX that came with steel wheels. These look much nicer. This is the "practical" car in my garage that makes owning a Mustang even a slight possibility.

Attachments

• crv with new wheels.jpg
    crv with new wheels.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 281
Naw... The reality is pretty much the same no matter where you pour concrete.

I give it less than a week before the first crack. Not even 6 months before it's crumbling apart and broken pieces start moving around to form small communities. The portion that you're driving over will need to be one, solid, poured piece if it's expected to last.

If you live somewhere where water freezes outdoors well.....

Reactions: 1 user
I have a background in construction, so I know you're right, but I can take photos of TONS of old installations just like this that are rock solid. Some chipping and cracking is to be expected, all concrete will crack.

I went and drove one for the first time today. Damn... I was impressed. Very refined. This is not the same Mustang I drove years ago, not even close. Very comfortable. Very smooth. No vibration at idle like the 4cyl cars I have been testing. The V6 made enough power, it's faster than the RL for sure. It almost felt underpowered, but then I looked at the speedo and how it was climbing. You just don't notice it. It's that smooth and refined. If it was more dramatic, then the 435 hp in the GT would be dangerous. And it was almost if not as quiet as my RL inside. I'm sure my RL is quieter, but not by much. I accelerated hard a couple times, plenty of power and controllable, and I drove it smooth and gentle like I do my RL most of the time, and it had a similar ride quality. Firm, but comfortable. This was the V6, mind you. I can get the same relaxing feel after a hard day at work in this car, and the motor and tranny is smooth and quiet. Ford really did a good job engineering this car for guys like me, who want the best compromise possible. It felt like an expensive car whereas the other sedans with 4 cyl just did not. I used to have a sports car, and would like one again, but don't want to give up comfort, and I don't have to with this. The car makes me feel like this new Mazda commercial, which I love. Watch it, it's one of those commercials you watch and really enjoy. Very well done.

View: https://youtu.be/t5UjmHOl4pU

Did half the driveway today. If the city makes me remove it I will make them remove and report every single of the thousands of modded curbs like this throughout the city. I just don't think it will happen. Looks OK, will look better when it's dry, I went to Lowe's this morning and was lucky that they had quickcrete with poly fibers in it to help it hold together.

Attachments

• 20150920_122715.jpg
    20150920_122715.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 268
  • 20150920_122723.jpg
    20150920_122723.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 287
Did half the driveway today. If the city makes me remove it I will make them remove and report every single of the thousands of modded curbs like this throughout the city. I just don't think it will happen. Looks OK, will look better when it's dry, I went to Lowe's this morning and was lucky that they had quickcrete with poly fibers in it to help it hold together.
Did you drive it up your driveway to see if it cleared?

No, I didn't see the point. I was going to do this anyway. I watched my wife back the Acura down the other day and it came within about a half inch of hitting as the tire drops into the curb. That's too close. I was going to do this anyway. My next door neighbor thinks it great, might do it herself. Things are different around here. It's an old neighborhood. If it were a new neighborhood with $250K houses, brijjit would be the only solution. Getting a Mustang is going to be a process. Looking to get it later this year when some type of additional incentive comes back. And I want a 2016. I don't want it being a year old 2 months after I buy it. Unless they are going to give me at least $4000 off it.

I finally got one! And the flexible rubber skirt rubs a bit even with the driveway mod but the hard plastic splitter clears just fine.

Attachments

• mustang in driveway day1.jpg
    mustang in driveway day1.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 731
It snows very occaisionally but snow plows only clear main roads and NEVER come into neighborhoods. We have very little snow equipment here. They only salt the interstates if it snows and that's rare. It's really not a snow area. When we get snow the city shuts down and we stay home.