Help please

rebelz1

Feb 9, 2010
alamogordo, nm
Hello I need some help please in a bad way my 98 3.8L has ignition problems and I don't have the money that the dealer wants to fix them however I do have parts and stuff that I can use. My problem is the ignition switch and tumbler is almost out eveytime I take out my key the radio come on and wont stop until I put the key in the unlock postion which in turn takes about 10 minutes of messing with it. Plus to start the car it takes almost half a turn more to start it. I can't lock my car for fear of dead battery and if I leave the key in someone might steal it.

What I need to know is there any way to bypass to the PATS system to put in a push button start or something like a push button. I have a push button in my old 89 f150 that I installed that I could use.

Any help is welcome! Please Pm me or something.

Thanks Shane

• Sponsors (?)

PATS can be disabled with a tuner. But of course that is not cheap if you do not own the tuner.

Why not have the switch fixed? It is almost stupid easy to remove if the key works. Even if you install a "push to start" ignition, the problem with the key still exists and should be repaired (by you own words, it sometimes runs the battery down).

Drive the car to a locksmith. Take the tumbler out in the parking lot and carry it in for service.

Ignition Lock Cylinder —Functional
Removal and Installation

Disconnect the battery ground cable. For additional information, refer to Section 414-01 .

Remove the ignition switch lock cylinder (11582).

Insert the ignition key and turn to the RUN position.

Using a 1/8-inch drift, press the ignition switch lock cylinder release pin through the access hole while pulling out the ignition switch lock cylinder.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.
Verify ignition switch lock cylinder operation.