Hey whats up! More 2.3 power needed

• Sponsors (?)

Fixed my clutch issue... it wasent a clutch issue. I blew up my cat, probly dented it a lil too hard, now the filter insides bouncing around like a coke can, i still have a nock in my transmission, and i found out the hissing noise, theres a leak in my egr pipe at the exhaust manifold. So, in a couple days i should have it fixed or removed and "solutioned"

I'd contact Chip and do what he says.....
chip.gif

Reactions: 1 user
just go to hardware store n by a plug in the plumbing section for the manifold as for where the egr bolts on there a blockoff plates readily available I did both of these mod's...I'd use the E6 xhaust manifold instead of CHEAP headers they crack...being a daily driver I'd build it up pretty much a stock engine n trans from a 87-8 T-COUPE VAM BROWNIES 2nd ACT circuit to the intake SVO intercoooler of your choice with a RANGER roller n 3" pass side xhaust...I run the XR4Ti cooling circuit n :poo:canned the 227 degree switch "ground" for a 195 on 185 off switch n a 180 thermostat "NO CRACKN HEADS". This thing is plenty fast for me

Video <-- Well, heres a video of my diagnosis, thankfully my dad's a plumber so I'll just steal some of his fittings.

For the turbo motor that's going to thrown into this car I have a ranger X cam and upgraded T3 turbo and hardened exhaust seats in the head. I have a big vam and an la3 ECU. I wanted to do an intercooler in front of my air conditioning condenser and I've been debating on reusing the brownie injectors that came with the motor... they have 300,000 miles on them as do the Pistons and rods , they were the only things I reused in the short block besides the crank which I had polished. apart from that I was going to reuse the intake manifold and get a gnari exhaust manifold since it matches up to the T3 turbo. And my E6 is cracked and is meant for an ihi Turbo . As for cooling I just cracked the radiator in my na 2.3 so I'm going to get a new one, so far I haven't had any recommendations, I was going to just get a stock replacement for my na 2.3 space and for added insurance I was going to run a cooler thermostat like 185 or 190, I think I have 195 in there right now.

Also, with 300k on your injectors, they need to be rebuilt. Easily done. Get a rebuild kit off Ebay.........

Clean and flow them thoroughly. I followed this video and it works!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUUgR94drxg

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
Also, with 300k on your injectors, they need to be rebuilt. Easily done. Get a rebuild kit off Ebay.........

Clean and flow them thoroughly. I followed this video and it works!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUUgR94drxg

will do! especially since i got the brown ones.

what do you guys think about porting my turbo head? a couple of old timers at Sonoma Raceway are egging me on to port and polish my head and swirl my valves since I don't have it attached to the head yet (haven't checked my ring gap, and no time due to school), I'm interested and am willing to gasket match my head and also increase any performance I can, do you guys think it worth doing? I want to make sure I do everything that's worth doing to this motor so I don't have to do any major upgrades in the future, just now as I'm building it.

what do you guys think about porting my turbo head? a couple of old timers at Sonoma Raceway are egging me on to port and polish my head and swirl my valves since I don't have it attached to the head yet (haven't checked my ring gap, and no time due to school), I'm interested and am willing to gasket match my head and also increase any performance I can, do you guys think it worth doing? I want to make sure I do everything that's worth doing to this motor so I don't have to do any major upgrades in the future, just now as I'm building it.
I THINK a port match is worth it....but as I've said b4 contact CHIP BIG R or SHAWN at STINGER on this, they can inform you as to best bang for buck build ups...

Last edited:
What he said ^^^!
Port match is a good thing with these motors. You can also polish the combustion chambers with a sanding roll. Stay away from opening up the chambers though. The water jackets are right behind there. Ask me how I know! Found an old pic of the tools I used to port match my head.

Porting tools.jpg

Makita electric die grinder, HF variable speed reducer (to control speed on die grinder), 6" carbide bits off Ebay, sanding rolls/arbor and toolmakers ink.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks guys! The machine shop that iv been taking my head too dosent do porting or polishing, and im not confident enough to try it on my own considering if i mess up, it will be hard finding another un cracked head so, ill just skip it for now, on the otherhand... my intake manifold i will try to port or atleast gasket match, i believe its smaller than the head and that i can replace or upgrade for sorta cheap later. Also, im putting the long block together hopefully for good, next is all the top end stuff, manifolds, injectors, turbo, and wiring! Im planning to re use my stock fuel rail, what do you guys think? Is it worth getting somthing else? Or should i run stock

Your stock fuel rail is fine, just clean it up well. Your fuel pressure regulator is another story....especially with 300,000 miles on it! It's good insurance to replace it now while the fuel rail is off the car. Kirban adjustables are the goto regulator for 2.3T's.

Your stock fuel rail is fine, just clean it up well. Your fuel pressure regulator is another story....especially with 300,000 miles on it! It's good insurance to replace it now while the fuel rail is off the car. Kirban adjustables are the goto regulator for 2.3T's.

Sweet! Ill nab one of those!

also, it might be coming from left field, but what would I need to do to make my car run off E-85? and would it be worth it? I'm cheap, and I love buying my 87 octane gas, because its only $5.35 here 91 is about $6.00 flat, and I'm being told I should run 91.... however, E-85 is still in the $3.00-$4.00 range and there's a station right by my house what do you guys think should i stop complaining and just eat it? or should i compromise and buy that 89 stuff, or is E85 a good option?

1697491540001.png

No, it's not worth it going to E85.
E-85 is still in the $3.00-$4.00 range
I takes roughly 1/3 more E85 to do the same work as gas. So this becomes $3.99-$5.32 to go approximately the same distance. New parts (tank, injectors, pump), and a way to tune it all.

If you have 89 around you, that's all you really need unless you're running boost (I don't recall if this was a turbo car). It was designed for 87 but that's pushing it IMO.

The one on the back of the rail, next to the nipple, is the fuel dampner. Leave that alone. The one on the front of the rail, with the 3 bolt base and a hose coming out of the top, is your fuel pressure regulator.
As far as E85, I don't know enough about it. Others, I'm sure are more qualified to answer. I only run Supreme in the roadster but then I only have an 11 gallon gas tank. Remember, even with twice the HP as your NA 2.3, you'll still get around 30 mpg. The best of both worlds!

I type slow......Noobz beat me to it! Listen to him....he knows his stuff.