is it a GT?

67428CJ

Feb 28, 2006
hi guys,
just sold my 71 mach 1 to rebuild the 67 fastback i bought over the summer. here's my question on it. it's a S code originally with a 390. the guy never said anything about it being a GT but when i ran a decoder on the VIN number it said S code GT. how could i tell if it is a real GT or if the decoder just assumes all S codes were GT's... or were all S codes GT's??? thanks for the help fellas.
also heres another quick question. it has all shelby equipment on it now. hood, trunk, upper and lower side louvres. When i redo this if it is a gt should i just put GT badges on it and say it's a GT with shelby equipment or put GT 500 on it and roll with the Shelby "CLONE" title on it. it does have the 428 CJ. not sure on what to do. thanks guys

• Sponsors (?)

It might be referring to the fact it was a 390 GT engine. I remember the 390 GT engine being an option which was independent of the GT badging on the car. It was a special high performance version of the 390 that was quite similar to the following year's 428 cobra jet engine. My uncle had the 390 GT engine in a new Cougar.

I'd say it's a total loss, tell me where it is and I'll drag it off so you won't have the misery of having to look at it.

Seriously, get a Marti Report from Kevin Marti. It's about $40 I think, tells you all about your car.

As far as the Shelby stuff goes, if the fit and finish is nice, a Shelby clone is probably going to be worth more than the restored S-code. I think if the pieces are original or nice, I'd tend to keep them unless you don't like the Shelby look.

I personally would like to own a '67 Shelby (350 or 500) that has the same birthday I do, but I've found out none were built on that day.

I went back and reread your post, it looks like you want to keep the Shelby stuff, I wouldn't put GT badges on it with the Shelby stuff, I'd either go back to GT or go with the Shelby stuff. I think mixing the stuff wouldn't look as good, but that's my opinion. Also, not all Shelbys had the skunk stripes, so don't feel obligated to put those on, and you could also go with the King Cobra stripe look (skinny, fat, skinny stripes).

I think you ought to take into consideration the original color of your car and the options it came with originally as well as any rarities the Marti Report points out, you could have something rare. Although it's not a 68 1/2 R-code car, I think an R-code would be worth more original than it would be as a Shelby clone, for example.

Personally I wouldn't care what it was, I would just build it the way I wanted it to look. It's already been modified so do whatever you like the looks of. It doesn't have to make anyone happy but you.

thanks for the help... i will probalby leave off all shelby and GT markers and only put cobra emblems on it. since it does have the 428 Cobra Jet. and will probably end up putting the kind cobra stripes you are talking about. was just gonna do the two stripes but i kinda like the cobra stripes.

67428CJ said:
hi guys,
just sold my 71 mach 1 to rebuild the 67 fastback i bought over the summer. here's my question on it. it's a S code originally with a 390. the guy never said anything about it being a GT but when i ran a decoder on the VIN number it said S code GT. how could i tell if it is a real GT or if the decoder just assumes all S codes were GT's... or were all S codes GT's??? thanks for the help fellas.
also heres another quick question. it has all shelby equipment on it now. hood, trunk, upper and lower side louvres. When i redo this if it is a gt should i just put GT badges on it and say it's a GT with shelby equipment or put GT 500 on it and roll with the Shelby "CLONE" title on it. it does have the 428 CJ. not sure on what to do. thanks guys

I have a 67 "S" code FB and it's not "GT."

Do you have any pics of your 428 under the hood? i plan on getting a 428 built for my Fastback. I am going to put a Mustang II IFS in the front to get rid of the towers and i am going to redo the entire engine compartment to make it look cleaner.