Just bought a 87-89 SSP CHP 160MPH cluster

Jaym14

Jan 26, 2009
Long Island, N.Y.
Like the title says I just purchased a 87-89 SSP CHP 160MPH instrument cluster to replace my existing cluster (a 90-93 cluster) which does not work properly. I got a good deal on the cluster and its been tested and is in good working order. Plus, I figured its a good investment since I could always sell it do to its increasing rarity. I'm guessing the previous owner of my car put in a 90-93 cluster because he was tired of the old 85 mph speedo. Anyway, I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to clean up/ refurbish the cluster before I install it? I've never really messed with these before. I just know that the cluster that is currently in my car is not correct. Any tips appreciated.

Here's a pic of the cluster...
ssp-spedo.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

remove the torx bolts and the lens and faceplates come off. then you can clean them. I use a damp cotton rag. paper towel will leave fibers all over the place.

Interesting how it has the police speedo, but also has the warning light gauge pod that only came on the GT models.

So either the speedo was added to a GT cluster, or someone added the GT warning light pod to the police cluster.

They are just those standard popcorn bulbs. That's what I like about the older cars. I have some lights that went out in my truck's HVAC and the Radio... $5 a bulb and they soldered in. Then if you disconnect anything and then turn the key on the BCM goes nuts.