Just can't Let go. "The Fox"

Kabuki_notch

Founding Member
Nov 19, 2001
Rochester, NY
So, I have a dilemma, I have owned 6 foxes over the last 10 years and I will sell one get a new one or sell one and say "Oh I'm going to try something different" but I always come back to a fox. Lately I have been on a real kick to sell my car and pickup a New Edge Saleen. Ever since I laid eyes on one I knew I had to have one someday and financially for me the timing is right.

This morning I started up the Fox and drove it to work, and as I am driving it I'm thinking to myself I cant sell this Car I love it, then All these plans are running through my head "Oh I should change this or upgrade that, maybe change the wheels finally start my T5 conversion....rear disc... The point is, these car's are hard not to like and being someone who has owned as many as I have it's hard to let go. So I think it's safe to say, whether I pick up a Saleen down the road, there will always be a place in my garage for a Fox. Sorry I had to rant :D

How about you guys/gals? have you ever tried to peel yourself away from these cars but find yourself coming back?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm in the same dilemma I want a new edge cobra probably a 99-01. The problem is that I've owned 3 foxes and if I look at foxes for sale I second guess myself. I drove a 99 the other day and I loved it but, I still want a fox as well. It sucks I have all these files saved of mods I want to do to a fox.

I got rid of my Fox 10 years ago and have been wanting another one ever since. If only I'd known how cheaply I could've fixed the issues it had through companies like 5.0 Resto, I bet I'd still have it and never would've gotten my 95.

I am in fox withdrawl.....I been looking for another one with no luck....they are all junk....and the good ones are getting harder and harder to find.....I should have never sold mine.....I actually been thinking about selling my 04 cobra and trying to pick up a couple nice fox's

you try to sell a nice fox and everyone calls offers you 2k, then no one ever shows up so you waste all your weekends, for what 3-5k? a nice mustang you get about a month or two worth of expenses.

In 20 years when most of us are 50-60 , there will be a run on nice foxes everyone trying to remember there HS years, a nice well kept one will go for 10-20k all day long

(thats at least what i tell the old lady)

I am in fox withdrawl.....I been looking for another one with no luck....they are all junk....and the good ones are getting harder and harder to find.....I should have never sold mine.....I actually been thinking about selling my 04 cobra and trying to pick up a couple nice fox's

Ill trade you my black notch w/ 7oo hp ?

ive got the best of both worlds... just picked up a stage 2 roush.

BoatandCars017.jpg

you try to sell a nice fox and everyone calls offers you 2k, then no one ever shows up so you waste all your weekends, for what 3-5k? a nice mustang you get about a month or two worth of expenses.

In 20 years when most of us are 50-60 , there will be a run on nice foxes everyone trying to remember there HS years, a nice well kept one will go for 10-20k all day long

(thats at least what i tell the old lady)

couldnt tell you when I was selling my other GT how many people called and offered to trade 4-wheelers for my car.

ive got the best of both worlds... just picked up a stage 2 roush.

that's what im talking about.

I am trying to find something decent for about 8k........so far nothing has come from it.....I went and looked at a 91 red notch yesterday guy was asking 8500...car was beat up bad....worth about 3k......guess I just got to keep looking....and hope something comes along.....

I am trying to find something decent for about 8k........so far nothing has come from it.....I went and looked at a 91 red notch yesterday guy was asking 8500...car was beat up bad....worth about 3k......guess I just got to keep looking....and hope something comes along.....

and if that wasent bad enough....the plastic junk intake on my grand marquis cracked....I had antifreeze going everywhere.......not a cheap fix at all.......

I missed my last Fox until I drove my first new edge...then I was sold. If I had any doubt in my mind after that, it quickly went away the moment I drove my first S197.

My Fox and the fond memories I had with it will always have a special place in my heart, but not in my garage.

I get behind the wheel of one now and although the strait line acceleration and exhaust note is there (assuming its not stock) everything else about the car reminds me why I sold it in the first place. :shrug:

I have toyed with the same idea for the past 7-8 years. Me and my 86 have been together since the early 90's when i was in HS. The guy i bought it from i still talk to and every time he tries to buy it back. I have considered it a couple of times, but 20 years from now i don't want to be him wishing i still had it. Even though it just sets in my shop now and i don't drive it any more. It doesn't cost me any thing for it to sit there so it will just keep sitting there.

The way I see it, newer Mustangs are at the "top", or at least, close to it. You know how the old saying goes, there is nowhere left to go when you're at the top but down. Old Foxes are already at the bottom, so any improvements or changes you make to it only makes it better. Those new, fancy, shiny cars are appealing and all, but in 10-15 years, they'll be just as old and tired and "yesterday's news" as our Foxes are now. But by then, the Fox will be a true classic, and I'll be ahead in the game by holding on to mine for all these years. :D

That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to have one of the 2010s in my garage parked NEXT to the '86. But I would never trade my Fox for a newer car. :nice:

I hear ya man! Twice now I've sold a 5.0 and bought something else for a daily driver. 2 years ago I bought my 88 GT and I'm keepin' it. I also have my 85 5.0 LX Notch that I've owned now for about 11 years. I just can't get away from them. I'll always want one. Yeah they handle like crap, can make a couple littl ecreaks over the years and they are pretty much low-tech but that's what i like about them. They make think back to simpler times...especially the carbureted 85 notch. They make horsepower by turning just a couple wrenches, they're easy to work on, and heck these were the cars I lusted after in high school but never had the money to get when i was 18. I'm actually looking at getting a third one! I have an incurable disease... Fox-Bodyosis...maybe it's more of a dimentia??? LOL!

Same boat..

I've had like 6 fox's... The last one i sold was my 1990 torch red coupe. I told myself that was it, no more fox's, my next one would be an sn95, new edge, or s197..

Check the progress thread :rlaugh:

I'll always love fox's.. But no BS, i bought another fox and built it because thats what i could afford.. I wanted another mustang, and couldn't afford a newer one, so I built my fox. Its a clean, 1992 hatch, stock for the most part but i love it.. Some day i'll be able to afford the s197 i really want, but until that day i'll hang onto the fox and mod it tastefully and have some fun along the way :)