Kids imitating Pinks at local dragstrip tonight

bonestock87

Founding Member
Dec 19, 2001
Cape Coral, FL
Well I really hate that I missed it, but a co-worker of mine was telling me that there were supposed to be a couple of ricers racing for pinks at Knoxville Dragway tonight at "Import Night". It was to be a "built" '86 RX7 turbo II vs. a superchared Hyundai Tiburon, don't know the year. This dude at work that's into imports urged me to come watch. I can't imagine they actually went through with it. The RX7 is supposed to have around 250 rwhp and weigh 1600 lbs. If they did go through with it, I'd say the RX7 guy now owns a Tiburon. Actually, if I had to bet, I'd say the Tiburon driver, if he lost, will have to explain to Mom why she has to ride the bus to work in the morning.:rlaugh:

What's worse, it was going to be a 1 race deal. No "best of" stuff for these heroes. Morons.:notnice:

• Sponsors (?)

BurningRubber said:
First off, I wouldnt race for "pinks". Second, if I was going to do that, I sure as hell would want more than one race.

My point exactly. It's nerve wrecking enough to pull up to the line with casual onlookers wondering what your car will do. But to do it in front of a bunch of people just begging for you to f it up..........No room for error!:nono:

hotmustang331 said:
Pink racing is one of the most redarded things you could do with your car IMO.

That crap just bothers the heck out of me.

Honestly, it kind of drives home my point about the general attitude in the import scene. No respect or appreciation for hard work. How much do you appreciate your car if you're willing to risk it on a single meaningless race? By no means am I old, an early gen x-er, but the kids I deal with where I work amaze me with their laziness and lack of common sense. Not all mind you, but a majority for sure.

p.s. I'm watching with interest your TT project, may the good Lord above bless your efforts in doing what you enjoy!

bonestock87 said:
Honestly, it kind of drives home my point about the general attitude in the import scene. No respect or appreciation for hard work. How much do you appreciate your car if you're willing to risk it on a single meaningless race? By no means am I old, an early gen x-er, but the kids I deal with where I work amaze me with their laziness and lack of common sense. Not all mind you, but a majority for sure.

I think that sums it up perfectly, especially the line in bold.

bonestock87 said:

I really don't like the attitude of a lot of the import crowd, nor do I like the general direction that the youth of america are taking. Laziness is becoming a plague, and so many of them have no respect for others, always w/ the intent of screwing over someone. Of course, this doesn't apply to everyone, but I do see it a lot, so it makes me very happy that I didn't turn out that way.

Leave it in bible class, boys

Oops. Did I offend someone by mentioning God. Your opinion means so much to me, thanks for taking the time to share. :notnice:

Well, it didn't go down. They all went to the track and the track owner called off the night's events due to the "threat of rain". We never got a drop. Oh well, I'd say no one was more please with that than the Hyundai owner.:rlaugh:

Im 20 and kids a year or two younger than me are just screw ups. I can't even begin to describe how useless they are. You tend to find this out when your a manager and have to try and get them to work. Lazy pieces of ****, now im angry and need to go drink some beers.

The attitude of the import crowd is terrible. They dont respect other cars. If i see a fast civic (IF being the very key word in this sentence) ill give it its props. They hate the Mustang for absolutely no reason (the only reason i could ever get was "mustang owners think their cars are so fast"... yea well i dont line up beside Z06's just like you shouldn't line up beside me civic driving dumbass). I dont get it, i posted in a local forum (90% ricers) asking why and no one could give me an answer other than "ford sucks" and "mustangs are ghey"

Oh well, I'd say no one was more please with that than the Hyundai owner
Ionno about that... We've got some light mods on my wife's Tiburon and it keeps up with the GT pretty damn well. At Little River drag strip her Tibby pulled ~14.6 93 deg F/88% humidity sea level and it's not blown, and with only light mods like a chip and intake.

Don't underestimate that car for sure. I suppose if it was a 4-cylinder it could be a little underpowered but the torque on the V6 "SE" model plus the 6-speed add up to a really nice 1/4 mile runner especially topped with boost and other mods.

her shifter sucks, though. :shrug: Feels like it's sitting in a jar of mollasses and is attached with rubber bands. But hey.

but back on SUBJECT. Let's not forget where racing for "pink slips" started - The muscle car era I so dearly love.

stangGT97 said:
yeah, I mean I'm only 21 but I can see a huge difference between how I was back when I was 17-18 and how kids of that age are now.

Im 18, paid every penny on my Mustang including insurance, pay for all my mods, do them myself... Definatly have respect for my own and others vehicles.

Definatly a fine line between the kids my age. Some fallow eachother like little lemmings, and others actually have a clue... those are usually the ones that work for their own stuff and have respect for their own and other peoples posessions.

BurningRubber said:
Im 18, paid every penny on my Mustang including insurance, pay for all my mods, do them myself... Definatly have respect for my own and others vehicles.

well good, I'm glad you aren't in with the "waste" crowd... like I said, not everyone is disrespectful/lazy etc, but there are an awful lot