Last item to choose; Cam

68converted

Nov 19, 2003
Colorado
I just got unlucky with another xtreme energy 270 cam purchase. First guy flaked out and the second cam was trashed by FedEx. Great guy, (thanks Brad) refunded me. I figure fate is trying to tell me something.

Anyway, here is what I have: AFR 165's 60cc, 1.6 rockers, RPM2 (the new one) intake, 70mm TB, 73mm MAF, 24# injectors, stock block and crank, AOD with shift kit, and 3.55 posi gears. (note the heads don't like lift greater than .550)

I do a good amount of cruzin, highway, stop to stop (sometimes much faster than the other guy/girl...), no track or real 1/4 mile runs. Not a daily driver, more for fun, and a few road trips.

What cam should I get? Or should I just keep trying to get the 270?

• Sponsors (?)

Since your combo is severely mismatched, i'd go custom. That rpm 2 intake is too much for a stock aod 302 and those tiny 355's. Is the combo definate or are you still deciding?

Mike

Grn92LX said:
Since your combo is severely mismatched, i'd go custom. That rpm 2 intake is too much for a stock aod 302 and those tiny 355's. Is the combo definate or are you still deciding?

Mike

I am not sure why you would say that the combo is severely mismatched. The intake only flows 10% better than the RPM 5.0, optimal. I am not trying to race the car. If anything is mismatched it is the heads to the induction as a whole. My buddy has the same setup in his 93 cobra using an xtreme energy284. He has torque'y low end, fair low to mid and strong mid to high end.

He has 3.7? gears. I don't like how loppy his idle is and it is way to much torque for my tastes. I do a good amount of highway driving in the summer, so my "tiny" 3.55 gears work great. I do appologize, I did forget to mention that I have 2500 torque converter. This combo is in a 68 convertable. Anyone else? Thanks

68 vert... Cool?? the best way is custom for 320.00 !! or call the cam grinders and ask them?? Or get the smaller FMS or TFS cams, install then in at 104-106 ICL and rock!! the stall you have is good and will love the centerline. the cam "performance sound " is good and noticable, the 68 rag top will be really a good looking and sounding car!! You will have the low end you want EVEN with the big heads and intake, and the 3.55s will pull strong! High lift and low duration is a good thing for your needs, you need more Velocity than CFM to help you go like you want!! Have fun.... too bad its a NEWER Mustang... LOL

Just me.......................................

Thumper

stangin it said:
Its not how much more the RPM 2 flows its WHERE it makes power.....

Exactly, it makes its power in rpm's that a aod/355 geared stang is never gonna see. Unless you have a manual VB??

I didnt mean the combo was a mismatch, I meant the gears/trans is a mismatch to the engine combo..

68converted said:
and it is way to much torque for my tastes..

:lol: Is there such a thing :lol: :rlaugh:

I would vote for a call to Ed also, tell him you're plans and goals and he will hook you up. My 302 made great power, ran smooth, idled at 700rpms nicely, and not too mention averaged anywhere from 17-25mpg :nice:

Thanks Thumper and everyone, sometimes it is hard to hear the good words in the "advice", pride and all. I ended up with the 270 cam. Unfortunately I have to have an AOD as my wonderful wife likes to drive it too. Otherwise a T-5 would have been put in!!!! I think after our road trips this summer I will take everyone's advice and put a Street/strip kit in the aod, and 3.75 gears out back. I am installing a B&M shifter to firm things up on hard takeoffs. An aluminum driveshaft is going to be fitted when I drop it all in.

Hey Thumper, if you have anyone that needs some tight E7's for your port jobs. I have a set that I will let go dirt cheap. I tried $100 but that was :bang:

I will send the pics as soon as I get the motor together. Again thanks. :hail2: