launch & shift points at the track?

Slapyo

Admin Dude
Feb 8, 2003
Anaheim, CA
going to the street legals tonight and had a couple questions. what RPM should i launch at, and what RPM should i shift at. my car doesn't really have much done to it, so it's basically a stock gt. just tryin to get a few ideas here to help me out at the track. it will be my first time taking the gt to the track. i will post my times tonight, and will try to scan my timesheet tomorrow if i get a chance. thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

well it can vary quite a bit depending on track conditions & what kind of tires you have. but i usually leave at 1800-2000 & slip the clutch just a little, usually nets me a 2.0x 60 ft time. i know i can do better, but i don't beat on my car really hard at the track, i would hate for something to break & be stuck, cause the track is not exactly close for me. good luck with it though, you'll have a blast

btw-don't pay any attention to the reaction times your first time out (they have no bearing on your time), just concentrate on getting a good launch :nice:

On stock tires I would launch about 22-2300 RPMS and slip the hell out of the clutch and would get 2.0s. If you want the best time possible drive the car like your trying to break something. Ive tried alot of different shift points and I get the best shifting right before redline. Just have to see what works for you.

What does everyone mean when they say slip the clutch when launching. Can someone explain a little more in detail? Do you have the clutch let out to the point that if you barely let it out more it will move the car? Or do you have it all the way in until you go?

Wikkdgt said:
What does everyone mean when they say slip the clutch when launching. Can someone explain a little more in detail? Do you have the clutch let out to the point that if you barely let it out more it will move the car? Or do you have it all the way in until you go?

You want to let the clutch out to where it's not ALL the way out, but you're taking off fast... You will keep your RPM's up that way and still get power to the rear wheels. Don't forget you only want to let it slip for awhile, kinda like one _slow_ continuous motion, don't try and ride the whole gear with the clutch half-way engaged =) Sliding it isn't exactly good for your clutch, but definitely good for your quarter mile times =)

I learned to drive a stick on my '03 GT and have found that I have to, somewhat, let the clutch slide just a tiny bit every time I shift just to maintain smooth driving. It's just habit anymore... I can drive *anyone*'s stick shift now, with no problem. However, those people try to drive my car and make the car surge every time =) :D

...darkwing!

You guys use the clutch???? I thought that was just for looks!
So far my best times have came from launching the car at 2100-2300tops, slipping the clutch for mabye 1 second,just to get the r's up a bit.. with the stock size tire on there i've managed a few sub 2sec 60 ft times, best being 1.83 ..
I dont know about everyone else but I know I am losing ALOT of time when shifting into 2nd and 3rd gears (BAD tire spin).... anyway to keep traction with street tires? let us Know! I know drag radials..... other than that for now?