leaking oil cooler need help

1997mustanggt

Jun 20, 2010
I have a 97 mustang gt with a 4.6L. Was changing the oil and when i took the oil filter off antifreeze started to leak from where the oil filter was mounted. Found out that where the oil filter is mounted is the stock oil cooler. Well i called around and the cheapest i could find brand new is 309.00 dollars at late model mustang. I really don't want to spend that much on it. Has anybody modified or maybe upgraded this part. If anybody has any ideas please pass them on thanks

• Sponsors (?)

If the oil cooler is leaking from the gaskets, it can be fixed with new gaskets. Drain the oil and anti-freeze and oil. Remove the filter. There is a large Allen bolt through the center. Remove it. This will get access to the oil adapter to block bolts. Remove them.

Get a new block to oil adapter gasket and oil cooler O-ring. DO NOT reuse the oil O-ring. They are naturally prone to leaking and it is just plan silly to not fix it for the long haul while everything is apart.

The other option is to remove it completely and replace with a standard version. In practice Ford found the cooler unnecessary and problematic. Which is why it was dropped anyway on later model Mustangs.

Remove the oil cooler as above. Replace the block to oil adapter gasket. Install the standard oil filter adapter. Refill fluiids. Have yourself a beer.

PM sent on one source for a used standard oil filter adapter.