My Route 66 Road Trip

Sparty92

Jul 30, 2007
Detroit Burbs
So I guess this might be interesting for some of you guys to read, so I thought I'd post it.

I've always wanted to see Route 66...since I was in high school, anyway. That was a long time ago. I got my 2007 Mustang GT and thought, "Gee, wouldn't it be a great story...'Man turns 40 and drives his Mustang cross-country on Route 66'..." Well, in 2008, I was planning to go on that trip for summer 2009. Until I was laid off in December, 2008.

Fast forward to 2012. I now have a 2011 Mustang GT...and I decided to take the trip with my best friend from kindergarten. Who can't drive a stick. I gave him a crash course in driving a stick...and we left a week later. (For the record, I let him drive maybe 6 hours of the entire trip.)

We took the trip July, 2012, starting in Detroit, and took "Old Route 66" as much as possible. We picked up 66 in Chicago and drove it all the way to Santa Monica Pier, the "end of the road." Total trip was 3 weeks, 7,031 miles...with a few detours.

I blogged about the entire trip every day, and took a few thousand photographs (not all are posted). You can read/see all about it here:

http://www.thombriggs.com/2012/07/the-road-trip-route-66/

Any feedback is welcomed and appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

I took a similar trip this fall with my best friend from college. I'm 62 and have always wanted to make a road trip to the Grand Canyon from here in PA. We left in a 2012 GMC Savana and hit a lot of spots on old 66 on the way. What a great trip. There's not much of old Route 66 left. Better see it while you can.
Take It Easy.jpg