Engine Need help with slowww start

Hi everyone ! I got a running 86 5.0 from an old firefighter friend, buuut it takes about a minute of pumping the gas+turning the key to get it to actually start (it’s been sitting for a little bit). What general things should I be looking at/replacing to get it to start with no problem?

• Sponsors (?)

Check fuel pump pressure.
Pumping the gas peddle does nothing on efi cars. You could try holding the go peddle down just a little but really need to check fuel pressure,
Do you hear the pump prime when you turn the key on?
Any history on it? Modifications?
I would advise checking all the vacuum lines, pulling the upper intake makes this a little easier, there is a couple hidden under there. And they are 30+ years old now and speed density efi is really touchy about vacuum leaks.

Check fuel pump pressure.
Pumping the gas peddle does nothing on efi cars. You could try holding the go peddle down just a little but really need to check fuel pressure,
Do you hear the pump prime when you turn the key on?
Any history on it? Modifications?
I would advise checking all the vacuum lines, pulling the upper intake makes this a little easier, there is a couple hidden under there. And they are 30+ years old now and speed density efi is really touchy about vacuum leaks.
As far as history goes, car is bone stock and was driven by an old guy its whole life. No modifications to speak of. Car has a brand new fuel tank and fuel pump that for sure does prime when I turn the key. That was the first thing I replaced on it.

Ok, we need more info. Get it started and put a vacuum gauge on it. Also, you can rent a compression tester from Autozone; check each cylinder and post all of this data. I have an 87 Speed Density 5.0 and vacuum leaks caused hard/no starting unit I got them fixed. And, as others have said, there are mucho vacuum lines on this car. A smoke generator is a great way to find them; you could also just replace all off them. There is lots of info out there on replacing them. Let us know what you discover.

How long a little bit? What does the fuel look and smell like?

It may be time to pump all that fuel out of the tank and start new. A bottle of Seafoam probably wouldn't hurt either.

Pull the spark plugs and post images. Tell us what they smell like too.
I put a new fuel pump and new gas tank in it pretty much immediately, so it should be good there. I’ll still check pressure though. Hadn’t heard of Seagram before, so I’ll get some of that.

I put a new fuel pump and new gas tank in it pretty much immediately, so it should be good there. I’ll still check pressure though. Hadn’t heard of Seagram before, so I’ll get some of that.
Tune-up in a bottle, good stuff for humans
Tune-up in a can, for an ill running car, most times it does little 'cept for a little fuel line/injector cleaning, very little. Never heard it hurting anything just don't confuse the two. :jester:

If you mix up those two, the Seagrams in the tank is less harmful then the seafoam in your belly.
I personally only put the Seagrams in my belly, although I have got gasoline in there when siphoning as a teen.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Gas pedal does do something. If oyu depress it to the floor, it puts the ECU in "flood clear" mode to help an overly rich car start.

Given that, first thing i would do is pull the EEC codes, as 1986 cars don't have a check engine light.

Anytime there aere issues with speed density, first steps should be pull codes AND perform vacuum leak testing.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Gas pedal does do something. If oyu depress it to the floor, it puts the ECU in "flood clear" mode to help an overly rich car start.

Given that, first thing i would do is pull the EEC codes, as 1986 cars don't have a check engine light.

Anytime there aere issues with speed density, first steps should be pull codes AND perform vacuum leak testing.
I agree, I was referring to 'pumping the gas peddle', which does nothing but open and close the throttle body blade.