New Car Few Questions

tjmaxx

Jun 21, 2004
I have a few questions for you guys and girls. I just bought my 96GT. It has a few boltons but nothing to crazy. I was wondering what grade gas you guys run and what I should run? I filled my first tank with mid grade which is like 89? Is this ok? or should I do 93? Also what kind of oil and filter do you guys run? I am going to do an oil change on it with mobil 1 synthetic because that is suppose to be good at finding leaks in engine's. So if I have a leak I should be able to find it. I also want to know what filter to buy? I was told to buy Fram?

• Sponsors (?)

I used to run 93 but prices are so stupid that I've been running 89. As for the filter, use a Motorcraft one (as previously mentioned) ... trust us on this one! Wix are excellent too.

FWIW, I use Motorcraft Synthetic 10w-30 but most people here use 5w-30.

is 10w-30 0kay? How many of you think Royal Purple oil is the way to go? I can probably get it a little cheaper than most people, maybe $1 cheaper so like $6 a quart. Does anyone know where to buy Royal Purple in bulk? Also My car has 116k on it, if that changes anything.

Don't waste money on RP. I mean, it's probably good stuff but IMO it is a lot of hype.

Now, if regular oil has been used for the 100k + miles then switching to synthetic may cause some issues regarding leaks. Synthetic oil has additives that clean and if you have any pre-existing potential leak areas, synthetic will let you know it!!! Just something to think about ... Someone with more brain cells than me will chime in with specifics .. :)

Your engine probably is a little too old to go synthetic at this point. I wouldn't do it. Just swap out your oil as you should but put in a good 10w30 and you will be fine. I run a K&N filter (HP2010) but it's expensive. The best thing I like about it is it has a "install/uninstall" nut on it making it easy to replace. Throw a K&N air filter in it and remove the Air Silencer. You'll be happy.

Maybe do a tranny fluid swap too.

No Fram.

Don't waste your money on a higher grade gas unless you have some mods.

Enjoy the ride!

First thing you should do is read your owner's manual.

Next lurk on the board for a couple months.

After that you should have attained the rank of Mustang Apprentice Level III.

Welcome to the board, let's see some pictures of the car and the engine :nice:

Royal Purple is made about 30 miles from me.(Porter,Tx) To buy in bulk you have to be a supplier, The co. I work for is a supplier.
Its good oil, just to over priced. I use it in my diff. but thats it.

I get good deals on parts also, Motorcraft synthetic blend my cost 2.02 Qt, motorcraft or wix filter 2.79.
Ive been a partsman for 17 years, 14 years in the town I live in. I get free labor also from a handfull of shops that I deal with.
The ultamate job for a gearhead. And I know every hodrodder in the area.