O/D swap shifter

• Sponsors (?)

I don't know much about that one, but I wouldn't use it in my car. I thought you could use the stock shifter and just adapt it, not so? I swear I have seen cars like that.

I haven't looked at that shifter but it does not have a gear indicator so you won't know at a glance what gear you are in if it makes a difference to you. It sure comes with a lot of universal brackets but looks like it would fit the stock hole.

Yes you can use the stock shifter, it takes a little adjustment and you need an adjustable rod to connect but is the cheapest route to shifter hook up.

I plan to get my car running with the stock shifter and change out to a B&M quicksilver later when I make a console as I want to flush mount the shifter and remove all of the 'B&M' markings as I can so it doesn't look so aftermarket obvious.
Here's the console version:
Console Quicksilver

Floor mount version:
Quicksilver

They're ~$200 but appear to be much easier to hook up and adjust.
Jon

This is for my 71 FB, and I don't want to spend anymore than necessary on it. I bought it with no engine/trans, and plan on selling it as soon as it is a running car. My buddy has a three speed that should fit as original, but if he can't get his out in time, I'll run the OD in the mustang. There are only 4 gears to worry about anyway, and you should be able to feel what gear you go into. The new owner can cough up for the LOKAR products:)

With this stuff, you can use the stock shifter:

View attachment 189229

TRA-650-643.jpg

Where do you get that adjustable rod? And what is that other thingy? The car has the original shifter in it, but no shift rod. I'm open to what ever will get the car on the road the fastest, and flipped. Thanks for the heads up!

Where do you get that adjustable rod? And what is that other thingy? The car has the original shifter in it, but no shift rod. I'm open to what ever will get the car on the road the fastest, and flipped. Thanks for the heads up!

The rod is made for the AOD/Mustang conversion. The thingy is the shift lever on the trans. The cable is the sensor cable for the trans/carb. All of thse are out there, I know Glazier/Nolan Mustang Barn sells them.

The rod is made for the AOD/Mustang conversion. The thingy is the shift lever on the trans. The cable is the sensor cable for the trans/carb. All of thse are out there, I know Glazier/Nolan Mustang Barn sells them.

lokar also does, thats what the one pictured looks like (or at least what mine is)

I all i had to do is add a second plate onto the shift "handle" persay on the AOD itself and re-bend the stock rod and I had it working. but that was mostly becuase im dirt poor lol

I think 1/4" steel rod is plenty, no need for 1/2" thick steel rod, it only moves the shift lever back/forth which I can do by hand. I think the stock C4 kickdown lever may have been 1/2" but hollow.

You can go a little thicker if you like but the thicker you go the larger rod end you'll need and the harder it will be to bend to shape if you need to. I used alum. 1/4" rod for my carb linkage with no issues and plan to do the same for the trans kickdown. Pretty sure that is the size of the premade rod that 2+2GT pictured above.
Jon

Well, lucky for me, I have secured a C4, and now shifter linkage, kickdown linkage, and neutral safety switch. And so now, I all I need are a drive shaft, radiator, and transmission cross member. Anyone here have one that fits a 71?