professional detailing, worth it IMO

pesj

Apr 7, 2010
So I bought my 08 about a week ago? Anyways the PO didn't take real good care of the paint, looks like he went through the cheap gas station car washes. Lots of swirls (it's a black car so you know...), some scratches etc. I washed her up nice, even did a hand wax with meguiars and spray waxed a few times after. She looked good, but in the sunlight you could still see the haze and the scratches.

The guy who did my tint also does auto detail, today he stripped it down and applied layers of polish/wax and also removed that stripe (california special) that went down the side. I went to pick it up, and WOW. I'm talking about glowing. Not a scratch or haze to be seen, at any angle. The car almost looks wet, it's ridiculous.

Glad I had it done, makes a big difference. Thought I'd share. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

It does make a difference. I had the same issues on the '07 I had briefly. I spend $100 and got the professional detail. Big difference. Unfortunately, it is gone now. My black 2010 will only be hand washed. No brushes on it!

thats cool. ill keep that in mind. my buddy has been a detailer for years and takes pictures of his work.. he takes a lot of pride in it and he will do a job for me real cheap. Ill probly take him up on it. Pics????

here is a pic of the hood I just snapped...keep in mind I drove around about 50 miles this morning already and the pollen here is ridiculous too...so probably not as shiny as it could be. But you can definitely tell it looks nice :D

View attachment 222766

I'll continue with the hand washing and spray wax treatment, but I'm glad I had him do the buffing and polishing, and whatever products it was that he used.

Looks sharp pesj! Your buddy did an amazing job! :nice:

thanks guys :nice:

not exactly my "buddy" though...cause a buddy wouldn't have charged me what he did to get it done. :lol:

He's cool though, I took it back there today because in the sunlight there were a couple small spots where some glue reside remained after the GT/CS sticker was removed. Nothing crazy, but I could still see it. He's gonna fix that, hand wash and re-wax for me on Friday. Good lookin out.

A few years ago, I took my '03 GT into a detailer to have some surface scratches wet-sanded out. They were only in the clearcoat but they were significant enough that they could be seen...and it drove me nuts. Since it was also the middle of winter when I took it in, I had them do a wash/polish job on it while it was there.

When I picked it up later that afternoon, it looked amazing. Even better than I could do with my usual Zaino treatment...and I think I do a darn good job with that. I was very pleased.

The only negative to it was the price tag. Mighty expensive for a polishing...not necessarily something I'd do on a regular basis but wouldn't mind if I could afford to and wasn't able to do it myself.

you get what you pay for when it comes to detailing

we have "detailers" at my work. and they make the cars look pretty good for when they go out, but see the same car in a few weeks time, the scratches and swirls are back.

they are using products like glazes to fill the scratches, not actually get rid of them.

certain waxes will have a small filling ability, but not to the point where they can make a swirled car look brand new again. to properly fix them. need to be polished out. possibly even hit with compound.

with detailing you wanna start with the least aggressive method first.

I may be biased, being a driveway detailer myself, but detailing is more then just a $100+ car wash. It strips all the old "stuff" on your paint and exposes the bare paint. This makes the polishing, sealing etc etc that much more effective. And even once it gets dirty, it wasnt a waste of 100+. Those fresh layers of protectants are doing just that against the sun rain etc

Take the time to learn how to detail and take care of it and it's pretty rewarding. Think about how good you felt getting your car back looking like that. Think about how it'd feel knowing you did it. I've been an avid detailer for a while and it's a lot of work but it feels good knowing that my car looks better than most. Just remember proper washing technique is critical in keeping the paint looking good so do some research otherwise it's just pissing money down the drain IMO. I wrote a write up on another forum about detailing that's pretty in depth if you want to take a look.

pesj,

Where do you live? I drove my new black 2010 GT to work last Friday and it was yellow/green after one day! Damn pollen! It is out of control here in Texas. I had it washed again yesterday and it is alreadty yellow/green again.

Awesome, will review. Also, what grill is that you have there? I would like a simple black billet grill which does the upper and lower portion, but also replaces the entire lower portion... The ones I have seen still leave those stock side honeycomb pieces which would clash with the new grill.

It's the Roush grille, it's stupid expensive but I got a good deal on it.