Ran a 94 Rx-7 last night

Metal351

Feb 27, 2003
Highland, CA
I havent been on here in a while, but im back hehe.

Last night i ran a 94 rx-7, and just incase you didnt know, theyre stock twin turbo hehe, quick sons of bitches. The dude i ran had some boltons, like intake, downpipe, exhaust, and a couple others.

Well we were running from about 30 to 60 the whole time, we ran numerous times. And im suprised of how quick my mustang really is!!! we are dead even all the way up to about 105, where the old mustang just doesnt wanna go any faster, too heavy, outa cam and outa gears! lol.

It all depended on who got the jump tho, if i got a better take off than him id stay ahead the whole time, or if my carb hesitated and he got a better launch, id be trailing with him the whole way. it was fun as hell. we only ran from a dead stop once, but it wasnt much. i bogged pretty bad, and he had no traction then missed 2nd. lol.

next summer i wanna take it to the track, then i plan to swap in a c6 with 2400 stall and shiftkit, and some 3.35 gears and limited slip unit. that oughta help me out ALOT!

im running a STOCK FMX with the origional stall convertor, and stock 2:75 gears with no limited slip.... big difference lol.

Ya it was really fun last night, thats the only time ive ever street raced the mustang, dont plan on making a habbit out of it.

So whats up guys? anything new here on the forums that i missed?

Cya

• Sponsors (?)

none67 said:
hey man, i don't know you but its nice to hear from ya.

But i don't see why your mustang can't go over 105.

i can go over 105 , i can hit 120 easily, im just saying, it doesnt accelerate as quickly above 100 as it does from say, 60 to 80. if that makes sense.....

launching at 60mph, i can take the rx-7.. launching at 100 (which for me isnt even launching cause its already revving in 3rd gear, i just floor it) ill be killed by him . he can run his car up to 140 easily, my mustang i dont even wanna try to take to 110, too scary in an old car lol.

With the new gears if i get them, im gunna max out at like 110 mph lol. but the launch off the line is much better.

Do you know how many pounds of boosts he was running from the turbos? My friend had one of those that he just sold in the last several months. He had an single turbo on it with some significant boost. It didn't look like much but when he got on it man did that thing fly. I remember that engine set to run really rich as he was worried that he was going to blow the apex seals. When he was pushing that car I remember being behind him and watching his exhaust pop small flames occaisonally as he shifted.

monk302 said:
Do you know how many pounds of boosts he was running from the turbos? My friend had one of those that he just sold in the last several months. He had an single turbo on it with some significant boost. It didn't look like much but when he got on it man did that thing fly. I remember that engine set to run really rich as he was worried that he was going to blow the apex seals. When he was pushing that car I remember being behind him and watching his exhaust pop small flames occaisonally as he shifted.

Those small flames or black smoke are pretty common on modded Turbo cars. Its because they put on Aftermarket Blow Off Valves, and when they shift, theyre releasing measured air that the MAF sensor has already taken into account out into the atmosphere, so unless they have it recirculated
(which most dont, becuase the whole point of them buying a BOV is for the sound), then the cars going torun rich inbetween shifts for a split second. If your friend would of bought a AFC he can fix some of those problems

BOV are also alot cheaper than bypass vavles(which recirculate the air), and yes the sound is pretty cool. Not all car's do that, some of the newer ones may but older speed density (pre-mass air) dont have that trouble. That little problem could be easily solved with a dyno tune or a tweecer, running it rich is a cheap bandaid.

When I saw his car do this we were going to get some food, when I was talking to him I asked him about it. Along with mentioning that he had the car running rich he also mentioned that his boost controller was not working properly and that he needed to get it fixed. As a result I remember he would religiously watch his boost gauge to make sure that it didn't go over a certain pressure. Would that have something to do with it?

Metal351 said:
Well we were running from about 30 to 60 the whole time, we ran numerous times. And im suprised of how quick my mustang really is!!! we are dead even all the way up to about 105, where the old mustang just doesnt wanna go any faster, too heavy, outa cam and outa gears! lol.

Any classic Stang is also gonna be hurt bad by their huge drag coefficient, particularly when pitted against a small import.

Metal351 said:
next summer i wanna take it to the track, then i plan to swap in a c6 with 2400 stall and shiftkit, and some 3.35 gears and limited slip unit. that oughta help me out ALOT!
If you are going to swap out the tranny (recommended for the FMX) I'd suggest NOT using a C6. The best two choices for a SBF (even a stout one) are the C4 or AOD. The C6 does not offer enough strength over the other two to compensate for its weight and power loss. I have seen 1,000HP put through a C4 before. The AOD gives the obvious benefit of a 4th gear that allows you to run steeper gears at the diff without losing top end or cruise. It weighs considerably more than the C4 but is about even with a C6. They got a bad rep for years behind stock 5.0s at the dragstrips but they can be built up to handle high power mills too.

Just wanted to make sure you consider all the options before shelling out your hard earned $$$.

There, now there's tech so the thread can stay here.

im running a STOCK FMX with the origional stall convertor, and stock 2:75 gears with no limited slip.... big difference lol.

Cya[/QUOTE]

Justa a thought, but if you are going to do a swap, have you thought of going to a 4 spd auto.... if youre putting in gears anyhow, the OD can make it really nice on the highway for cruising. (they also soak up less power than a c6)
And if youre combo isn't set on kill, the added strength of the c6 isn't really needed. (lotts of stangs in the 10s / 11s on 4 spd autos with little more than a shift kit, and a converter)

Just an idea.... :shrug:
Dave-

ddonaca351 said:

Cya

Justa a thought, but if you are going to do a swap, have you thought of going to a 4 spd auto.... if youre putting in gears anyhow, the OD can make it really nice on the highway for cruising. (they also soak up less power than a c6)
And if youre combo isn't set on kill, the added strength of the c6 isn't really needed. (lotts of stangs in the 10s / 11s on 4 spd autos with little more than a shift kit, and a converter)

Just an idea.... :shrug:
Dave-[/QUOTE]

ya now that you guys mention it, AOD does sound like a good choice :-D. ill deffinately look into that. The OD gear would Deffinately help out on the freeway. Ill look into the parts needed for the setup wtih the AOD now.

oh and as for the $10 to get me to the track, thanks for the offer but it wouldnt do any good, because they woulndt let me race anyways, because im 17 still. have to be 18 to race at a track. So untill next summer , no track time for me.

Hehe i better be workin my ass off this year (new years resolution ;-) ), cause i not only wanna build up the stang more, i wanna buy a daily driver too :p. gunna be long nights delivering pizzas in my bro's civic :-D. Ill probably end up gettin a 91 to 93 nissan 240sx, because the KA24DE is pretty stout, and the aftermarket support for their suspentions are INSANE, my freinds handles like a dream hehe. Thats the best choice for me so far, although my dream project (after the mustang) is a 1st generation rx7 with a 13B turbo :-D. ya im into all cars, imports and domestics alike :-D more fun that way knowing everything.

so ya, i cant believe i didnt even think of the AOD this whole time.... Thye bolt right in with the Cleveland? or any extra/new parts involved in the swap out from the FMX. what Rear end gears u guys suggest to go along wiht that? i was thinkin 3.35 but not higher, with a 3spd auto C6.... i could probably go with like 3.50's huh? what ya think? thanks guys.

As long as you aren't too worried about gas and noise from loud mufflers cruising at a slightly higher rpm (i'm not worried with either), a 3 speed auto or any non-overdrive car is fine with 3.50/3.55s. Honestly there would be little noticeable difference in either mileage or acceleration as opposed to a 3.3x gearing, 3.55 is used more though so I would probably go there. If its race-only 3.73s or even 4.11s might be perfect for you combo, depending on how high you rev and what races you participate in most.

As far as AOD bolting straight into a cleveland... i'm not sure, but i remember someone saying its not quite that easy. If no one else answers try a few searches, I know its been discussed before. Now that I think about it though, the AOD is based on the FMX (i think..), so theres a chance it might bolt straight up... I'm going to stop guessing now though. GL