removing tranny tailshaft????

fearless302

Aug 25, 2003
texas
i was in the process of removing the tail shaft to replace the drive gear to match the speedo gear so that my speedometer would be a little more accurate...anyways, removed everything i needed to, but when i was trying to slide the tailshaft off, the part that slides back and forth when shifting was still connected and wouldn't release the tail shaft,,,,

how would i get it to come off?????

• Sponsors (?)

You have to remove the shifter block before the housing will come off. There is a roll pin that holds the shifter block to the shift linkage -- punch that out (straight down, don't lose it), and then work the shifter block off. You'll have to pull it backwards while moving the housing backwards, in order to get it all the way off. Underneath/inside the shifter block is a spring & ball, do not lose them, you'll need to reinstall them when you put the shifter block back.

Dave

yeah, what he said--lol when you reinstall the extension housing, make sure you don't break the tab on the reverse synchro thingy, it sits on top of the counter shaft, they are like 20$ , expensive little piece. if you have anymore problems let someone know, i believe that it is a 3/16 punch you need as well

jason