Shifters!

85MustGT

Founding Member
Nov 8, 2001
Occupied San Diego
Now that I got the 4.10 gears and speedo working I need a shifter. People are real happy with the Steeda, Pro 5.0 shifters. What about the B&m and MAC shifters. Someone told me the MAC shifter is the same as the PRO 5.0 just made by another company, is that true?
The MAC shifter is the least expensive, does anyone have experience with this shifter?

:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I will have to agree that any aftermarket shifter will be better then stock :shrug:

I have a Tri-Ax also and love it !

I saw some shifters at a good price with free shipping here , I never bought from them but came across their web site a while back and stored it in my favoris.. :)

My only experience with B&M was a Ripper I installed back in '96 on a formula fireturd with a t-56 6 speed. It was a very well-built shifter. Installed easily, and withstood many a high-speed neanderthal shift w/o complications. Transmitted a very faint gear noise, bearly audible. It shortened shifts by approx 30-40%. I could flick thru gears by only using my wrist, w/o moving any other joints.
Shifting effort was a little harder, and it felt a little "notchy-er" through the gates. Both was probably due to the lost leverage of a shorter shifter. If you "choke up on the bat" of the factory shifter a few inches, you will find that the factory shifter will feel notchy, and require more effort.

It was well worth my time, money, and effort.

I would only go the steeda tri-ax I know two people that have messed up their trannies witht he Pro 5.0. I am not sure about the ripper or the UPR. I have the tri-ax and I really like the shifts. They are shorter but not too short to where the gears are right next to each other.

madmatt said:
Sorry to hijack but, does anyone have experience with both the Pro 5.0 and the Tri-ax. Any input welcomed. Maybe this will help with the original poster as well. Thanks
Matt
Good poimt I forgot to make. As I said above both of thoes guys switched to the tri-ax. One was a 98 CObra and the other was a 02 GT. I personally have never owned the 5.0 but I have driven a few stangs with it. It shifts are closer than steeda's as well

claytucc3 said:
I would only go the steeda tri-ax I know two people that have messed up their trannies witht he Pro 5.0. I am not sure about the ripper or the UPR. I have the tri-ax and I really like the shifts. They are shorter but not too short to where the gears are right next to each other.

how exactly did the pro 5.0 mess up a tranny?

claytucc3 said:
Both were the shift forks. I am not to knowledgeable on trannies I am just going by what the tranny shops said. THe cars also went to two different tranny shops and both of them said the same thing. Something about the geometry of the shifter.

Ive driven mustangs with everything in them , Hurst is my personal favorite , so ill list my other favorites in order below
B&M
PRO 50
UPR
TRIAX

claytucc3 said:
Good poimt I forgot to make. As I said above both of thoes guys switched to the tri-ax. One was a 98 CObra and the other was a 02 GT. I personally have never owned the 5.0 but I have driven a few stangs with it. It shifts are closer than steeda's as well

this is true, the pro-50 puts the gears very close together, and you have to be very aware of where the gears are if you dont want to do a 5th to 2nd shift instead of to 4th

I've got the Pro 5.0 and it's smooth as butter since it's broke in. It's a little notchy but I like it, and I like the clicky noise when it hits the stops. It's great for bangin gears which is often. The short handle is great since I've got long arms. There is slight gear noise with an aluminum shifter ball but it's none existent with the stock leather ball. That's my 2 cents, but anything is better then the shop class made stock shifter.