Straightened out my intake tubing

• Sponsors (?)

it is not completely finished yet ... i still need to paint the PVC, smooth out the opening i cut in the fenderwell, line the opening with hose, and turn things around so it looks cleaner, but here is where it is right now. btw, this took about 1/2 hour.

i need to get a black connector, the blue sticks out too much. should i paint black or silver?
new-1.jpg

fwiw, a 3" PVC with a joint fits the 90MM LMAF perfectly
new-2.jpg

in the fenderwell, 4" K&N, about 5 3/4" long
new-3.jpg

here is what was in there before. the filter fit great, but it made for some hard tuning because the air flow through the bends really affected the MAF readings
old-bends.jpg

I like... Much better than all the bends. That was one of the reasons I did mine in the same fashion. Keep us posted on the tuning part of this mod as I would be interested in seeing what happens.

took it apart again at lunch time ...

the K&N ... it has a stupid bolt and a hole in the cover
KN-bolt.jpg

without the bolt ... i found a plug for the hole
KN-no-bolt.jpg

the hole
the-hole.jpg

with liner ... a fuel line i slit lengthwise
with-liner.jpg

it's a tight fit
tight-fit.jpg

back together
back-together.jpg

so far, so good ... now i need to paint the PVC and get a black connector so i can get rid of the stupid looking blue one.

I did the fox conversion and tried to do the pvc deal, but i couldnt get couplers and pipe to work with the 90mm TB.

I bought a chrome pipe and couplers from autozone (spectre, special order) and made it work. If the 90* elbow was more like 120* or so, not as much of a bend it would fit a little better.

I will snap a pic tomorrow.

dang, i can't believe it's been 3 years.

the reason i like pvc is that it does not transfer heat nearly as much as metal, so it keeps the air cooler.
We are always telling people to use the search and not many do so. This guy is good.
or, it may be someone following the link i posted to this thread on that other thread about the guy doing his 351 and i mentioned that his intake tubing had alot of bends

yeah but how long is the air inside that tube really exposed to the heat and is that enough to heat up the air

Those are my thoughts as well.

Had a home made "**** pipe" induction on my last fox as well. My friends never stopped busting my balls over it. :(

That's my home made strut tower brace too BTW. Used actual steel with that one though. :D

View attachment 185318

Well getting the Mass Air Meter out of the engine bay does help with air temp. Having a aluminum MAF and Steel piping going to the throttle body will be hotter than a plastic meter and plastic pipe. By how much? Not sure on a temp. number. Idle air will be hotter than WOT air. By how much? Again, not sure but since there are unknown test out there floating then just use the cooler stuff to be safe.

We discussed this back in the day several times. Good stuff.

yeah but how long is the air inside that tube really exposed to the heat and is that enough to heat up the air
please believe me when i say i am not trying to be a jerk, but it seems obvious to me that the air will definately be hotter after going through a hot metal pipe than it would be going through a PVC pipe that does not get as hot.

can we agree about that?

to determine the difference, one would have to move the IAT sensor as close as possible to the throttle body on both the metal and PVC pipes and run some datalogs. i don't know if anyone has done that, but i'd be interested to see the results.

please believe me when i say i am not trying to be a jerk, but it seems obvious to me that the air will definately be hotter after going through a hot metal pipe than it would be going through a PVC pipe that does not get as hot.

can we agree about that?

to determine the difference, one would have to move the IAT sensor as close as possible to the throttle body on both the metal and PVC pipes and run some datalogs. i don't know if anyone has done that, but i'd be interested to see the results.

I'm betting any factory IAT sensor isn't going to be anywhere sensitive, or accurate enough to pick up any temperature variances what so ever.

In theory it sounds good. PVC doesn't absorb as much heat as say aluminum, or steel, but....

It still does absorb a fair amount of heat, which does get transferred to the inside of the pipe and into the incoming air charge. Even if there's a 30-degree or so difference between the outside surface temperatures of the pipes, that doesn't mean it's going to translate into any measurable difference to the air temperature inside.

These were also the findings my dyno tuner had over years and years of back to back tuning on various combinations. I had the same concern when I built the intake pipe out of 3" and 4" mild steel exhaust tubing on my Cougar.

He told me strait out....."The time the air spends, inside that 14-inches or so of intake pipe is a fraction of a second at best. That's not enough saturation time to se any measurable change in air temperatures. You'll see better gains drawing the air from inside the fender and straitening the shot into the MAF meter (reducing the turbulance of the incoming air stream) than you would changing the intake pipe material."

Dont even worry about this if you have EGR...

Im running the fox style cooled EGR spacer...:D

If you block your EGR from the bottom of the upper intake it should drop temps down to the intake a fair amount. There is no need for the heat to go through the port and heat up the EGR valve any longer. Just an FYI. I just learned that myself.

can we agree about that?

I understand what your saying, the intake system on my 02 is all plastic (kenne bell big tube :D). I do agree that a metal tube will hold more heat, but like stated i don't think the air is inside the tube long enough to cause a significant change in temp. Ive also heard that when heated up the PVC will release some nasty gases :shrug:

And, IMO a nice polished alum tube would look better than some pvc pipe

understood about how the amount of time in the tube probably doesn't make a very noticeable difference

i do have to say though, that i think it is kind of funny how there is so much more discussion about it now than there was 3 years ago when i did it. i painted the tube silver, and it has held up pretty well over the years.

and it really helped with the tuning

engine-01.jpg