street 331 questions

Bigstang1

Founding Member
Aug 28, 2002
Massachusettes
How many miles can one get out of a street driven 331? It will be one with a cast crank, forged rods and hyper pistons. Is this atiquate for a na setup? Also when a 331 does "wear out" what is it that need to be done to make it new again. Is it just the rings and bearings that go or is there a major part that goes? The reason i ask is i wouldnt mind a rebuild every 50k or so but i dont wanna buy a new rotation assembly every 50k. Anything else on the subject of street driven 331's would be kool too. thanks

• Sponsors (?)

331's usually last longer than a 347 counter part, unless u go with a brand that makes a shorter piston so the connecting rods doesn't intersect with the oil ring. CHP makes this type of 347 so there 331 and 347 will last the same milage. Your 331 should last well over 100k with no rebuild if its take care of properly, changing the oil and filter every 3k miles and taking care of the engine. taking care of your car goes a long way.

It will probly be my daily driver to school and work (all of which arent very far) but only in the summer. I got a caddi for the white months. I will def take it to the track a few times a summer and the weekends will be its time to shine. I dont mind dealing with a lumpy cam etc on the street...i am basically concerned with longevity and if it does wear out....what would need to be replaced most commonly thanks

Well, even it its 50k miles for a rebuild, most people will only put 6-7k on per year. that would be every 7-8 years. but like it was said before, i would expect nothing less than 70+ on your motor.
also, get forged pistons while your at it.

i got a quick question that should help the original poster also.....

You say (and ive heard) about the shorter piston for extrended life. I know CHP does it, but they use CHP brand stuff. Suppose u wanted to change to a more name brand like probe and scat rods or something. Can that still be done?

I talked with Dave at www.dndmotorsports.com and he says their 331 and 347 should both last well above 100K. He sounds like he really knows his stuff. Also, for military or ex-military they give a good discount. I've also heard good reviews of them from other people. I got a lot of stuff from them last year, and next year I plan to get the 347 short block.

the dss 347 will burn oil, the wrist pin intersects the oil ring, although the say they have revised oil rings to control the oiling problem , it still will burn oil, unless you go with a dss 331 (shorter rod wrist pin doesn't intersect oil ring) you can't get away with the burning oil issue.