suspension

syanyde

Jan 3, 2006
Portland, Maine
looking to get some new suspension components.. firstly i want to lower the car probably about 2" all around, but want to rake it just slightly.. can any one suggest a brand/kit to go for? also looking for a new stiffer front and rear sway bar; can any one suggest a brand on that as well? thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Just get a 1 5/16" front from a 5.0 and the rear I would say a 1" Cobra from Steeda, thats what I have on my 92 made a nice improvement. You might want to think about a strut tower brace too.

Are these mods going to be for looks or handling? Certainly, lowering the car 2" will hurt handling, and may even require CC plates to get the alignment in spec. I think the eibachs are the only springs made for the 2.3, but they give about a 2" drop. It won't be racked though.

syanyde said:
by the way, im not looking for just lowering springs, i want to do it right and get everything im gonna need

Ahh, one of the FEW.

Several years ago, I did a lot of reading on how to make a mustang handle. I highly recommend "Mustang Performance Handbook 2" by William Mathis. It got hacked to hell by the publishing company, but still has tons of great info.

It seems about a 3/4" drop is ideal. With that, Mathis recommends offset rack bushing. Ideally, you would also need to adjustable sway bar endlinks to set it up right. There is also a way to gain 1" of suspension travel back after lowering it. There are several caster-camber plate manufactures which allow for an additional inch of suspension compression, such as MM or the Pro3i pieces.

I don't get the deal with offset rack bushings...some companies say to use them, others say don't use them...doesn't make any sense.

BTW for "budget" swaybars, go with the 5.0 front bar as was stated, and find a 7/8" rear bar from a '99-04 GT. The Cobra rear bars are NOT cheap.