Progress Thread Tannerc91gt’s Build(s) Thread

• Sponsors (?)

Get me a tune and datalog file of the car running.

Big thing is why is the laptop disconnecting.... I have a few methods to try and connect to remedy this.

Few basic questions for my inquisitive mind.
- true iac or a warmup valve
- have you tried unplugging the iac to see what happens.
- verified that the TB is not stuck open some.
I can give you the tune, can't get a log for the above reasons, though I haven't gotten the datalog to work for :poo: anyways.

Nothing happens with the IAC unplugged. I've gone while the car is running and physically shut the TB by hand. It idles down to probably 1500 all the way against the throttle stop.

Car idled at 900 when the coil packs were all screwed up lol.

It'll try to get that stuff together. Hoping the laptop disconnecting is voltage drop from a battery that has been in a cold garage all winter

Ok. The datalogging with this software is ****ing amazing. It is by far the best I have used (though my experience with other loggers is somewhat limited).

Once the car is running with the laptop connected, on the tool bar header click on communications then settings. Hit "test port" then "detect" once it has found the ECU hit "accept"

Then start a datalog.

I use megalog viewer to review logs. I will have to give you a class on how to make the most of it. I really like the scatter plots, the tighter the plot line the closer the tune is. With one graph view you can see how good a tune is.

I can give you the tune, can't get a log for the above reasons, though I haven't gotten the datalog to work for **** anyways.

Nothing happens with the IAC unplugged. I've gone while the car is running and physically shut the TB by hand. It idles down to probably 1500 all the way against the throttle stop.

Car idled at 900 when the coil packs were all screwed up lol.

It'll try to get that stuff together. Hoping the laptop disconnecting is voltage drop from a battery that has been in a cold garage all winter
If nothing happens with the iac unplugged then it's not the idle settings.
With what you have described I think it either has to be a mechanical failure (cracked intake) or you have too much timing in the engine at idle. Timing REALLY affects idle speed.

Try running a wire from the battery straight to the MS. I had a problem with my MSPNP2 disconnecting and found a loose connection in the power feed to my ECU. Steve was a huge help....my car wouldn't start at all. Now it runs and idles.

This system is one of the best but it doesn't calculate itself for you. There is a learning curve for sure. This set up works great once the basic settings are correct. Theres a lot of toying with required fuel and WUE. My car is almost there.

don't let frustration get the best of you....I guarantee its something simple and MS doesn't have anything to do with your problem.

If nothing happens with the iac unplugged then it's not the idle settings.
With what you have described I think it either has to be a mechanical failure (cracked intake) or you have too much timing in the engine at idle. Timing REALLY affects idle speed.
I removed the intake and checked it. No cracks. Really snugged it up upon reinstall as well. I had hoped that was it as I would have used the excuse to upgrade.

Nothing changed with th IAC unplugged though dropping the warmup duty from 90 down into the 50s seemed to lower it. I could have just been hearing what I wanted to though. I kept screwing with IAC settings and looking through Ms forum posts but wouldn't start at all towards the end. Think the battery ate it.
I've got it on a trickle charge, will try it again in the next couple days.

I'll post the timing table and msq here shortly.
It's literally just the tune they emailed me with the injector size and cubic inch changed. Tried to eliminate as many variables as possible. They sent me a stock 4.8 tune and an "ls1 big cam" tune.

Try running a wire from the battery straight to the MS. I had a problem with my MSPNP2 disconnecting and found a loose connection in the power feed to my ECU. Steve was a huge help....my car wouldn't start at all. Now it runs and idles.

This system is one of the best but it doesn't calculate itself for you. There is a learning curve for sure. This set up works great once the basic settings are correct. Theres a lot of toying with required fuel and WUE. My car is almost there.

don't let frustration get the best of you....I guarantee its something simple and MS doesn't have anything to do with your problem.
The MS is connected directly to both posts on the battery.
Spending 2 weeks screwing with a car that won't run is definitely frustrating but I'll figure it out eventually.

I feel with a known base tune, my problem must be mechanical though I can find no open ports or broken pieces that would allow additional air into the system.

I removed the intake and checked it. No cracks. Really snugged it up upon reinstall as well. I had hoped that was it as I would have used the excuse to upgrade.

Nothing changed with th IAC unplugged though dropping the warmup duty from 90 down into the 50s seemed to lower it. I could have just been hearing what I wanted to though. I kept screwing with IAC settings and looking through Ms forum posts but wouldn't start at all towards the end. Think the battery ate it.
I've got it on a trickle charge, will try it again in the next couple days.

I'll post the timing table and msq here shortly.
It's literally just the tune they emailed me with the injector size and cubic inch changed. Tried to eliminate as many variables as possible. They sent me a stock 4.8 tune and an "ls1 big cam" tune.
I just downloaded the ms3x firmware so I can get myself accustomed to it before we have a "meeting"....
This system has everything, I am very jealous..... I mean they even included a setting for anti-lag... blended tables and full independent cylinder trim... not just fuel but timing, ego control... I can see how this firmware can be daunting to the uninitiated.

When you are ready to play with the car again text me I believe I gave you my number.

sounds like your issue may be in the required fuel settings for starters. All of our cars are different. My required fuel by calculation should be 10.3....but at 10.3 my car was pig rich. I'm just learning this stuff myself so I'll be of no huge help here. The car I'm building is a turbo 331 with 42lb injectors.... Steve ( a91what ) went through my settings via wifi and got my car to run considerably better. He's also worked his magic on the Gila Monster. As he goes through it you can watch everything he does to your tune. Keep a note pad handy...

Fyi...I did shoot the tune he made for me to DIYautotune...it was reviewed and found to be really good.

EDIT ; seems like we've all been typing at the same time. car is bad @$% - I know you'll figure it out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I just downloaded the ms3x firmware so I can get myself accustomed to it before we have a "meeting"....
This system has everything, I am very jealous..... I mean they even included a setting for anti-lag... blended tables and full independent cylinder trim... not just fuel but timing, ego control... I can see how this firmware can be daunting to the uninitiated.

When you are ready to play with the car again text me I believe I gave you my number.
I'm not off til next weekend. I'll shoot you a text.

fueltable.png

Fuel table

timingtable.png

Timing table. This is actually tamer than my previous, still pretty boring

afrtable.png

untouched AFR table. I never see anything besides 7:1 on the TS gauge and 22:1 on the LC-2 gauge anyways, though its never run long enough to be useful. its always calibrated successfully and is connected per instructions.

fuelgeneral.png

using stock LS6 injectors.

iac.png

IAC settings

Attachments

• L33currenttune.msq
    263.1 KB · Views: 136
Reactions: 1 user
Try this tune out. All I did was tweak some of the tables and settings for you. they have implemented a new idle fuel strategy, I will need a datalog and AFR reading from the car before I can adjust the fuel tables.

Attachments

• Tanner Tune.msq
    263.1 KB · Views: 132
Try this tune out. All I did was tweak some of the tables and settings for you. they have implemented a new idle fuel strategy, I will need a datalog and AFR reading from the car before I can adjust the fuel tables.
You put much faith in wideband readings at idle? Always seemed inaccurate to me

Forgot to add I really appreciate you looking at it, can't wait to give it a shot

You put much faith in wideband readings at idle? Always seemed inaccurate to me

Forgot to add I really appreciate you looking at it, can't wait to give it a shot
I give wideband readings at idle little-to-no value usually there about two points off on the lean side. I adjust fuel at idle until the car feels good and starts making more vacuum. However being that I'm hundreds of miles away on the other end of an electronic device. it's the only viable information that I can use. I need the AFR readings for quite a few things the datalog will show me vacuum and whether or not the idle is oscillating

When will we see passes in this thing?

Joe
The day hell freezes over and it actually moves under power.

but really, I'm hoping to be driving it in march
I thgouht you said the car hasn't seen the light of day? Then, how did a bird crap on your mirror then....:poo:?

There's a bird in my shop. I've never seen it and it never :poo:s anywhere except on my car