Teach Me Supercharger Basics

Bare with me gentlemen (and ladies), I know my way around engines fairly well but have no knowledge whatsoever of the supercharged world.

Recently got approved (by the wife) for a couple BIG purchases, now Im checking out Vortech V3 self lubricated systems on latemodel. Got a few questions.

I see it comes with an Fuel management Unit and lines, but Im not familiar with what it is. I currently have a 255 fuel pump and 24 lb injectors. Would this work with the 8-10 psi system or do I need bigger injectors? I understand I may not get full tuning ability etc, but if I stuck with 24lbers for a while, could it tear something up?

Between the 8-10 system and the 5-7 system there is a $1,000 dollar difference. If I bought the 5-7, could I not later buy a smaller pulley to get 8-10 or is there more differences than just the pulley?

I have an E-303 cam. Dont beat me up, I know its old technology, but its what I have. Would it be worth it to install with E303, or would you definitely change the cam before the charger. I have 1.7 rockers on Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads.

Could I hook this right up to my Cobra intake or do I need a new intake?

If I hook all this up in my garage (of course with some help from here) would I immediately need a tune or could I wait a month or two until funds build back up. How much is a streetable tune?

I understand that maybe my intake, cam, injectors etc, may not be premium choice for performance, but I want to see what I can work with without damaging until its time for a new engine. Thanks for reading my book.

• Sponsors (?)

you need bigger injectors (running lean on fuel is never a good thing with any application)
yes you can put a smaller pulley on for more boost
if you don't want to replace the E cam, then run it..it will work
again, there are intakes that might make more power, but the cobra is fine for now.
It would be in your best interest to get the car tuned following the s/c install asap. Since you spent the $$ on the V3, get it tuned professionally (300-$500) so it's safe to run hard, and you"ll maximize performance potential.
Also, I would start off with the 8lb pulley

Turbo would be cool. I just worry because I seem to notice around that turbo's are a little more temperamental. Seems like superchargers are a little better for an "induction beginner" like myself. Also seems like superchargers are a little better for reliability as well. By all means, correct me if I am wrong, I am just quoting what "they" say. We all know "they" is usually wrong.

I plan on starting with the 8lb. At this point I don't want anymore than that, and more than likely won't in the future since I don't frequent any tracks other than a deserted backroad thrashing every once in a while. Don't need it to race anyone, just want a little more umph. Want to be able to hold a little respect around the modern muscle cars of today that are making gobs of power from the factory.

My true plan is to have a reliable and comfortable street cruiser at about 375-400hp. Id like to change the cam, but money is running out quick as I am getting the T56 magnum kit in two weeks, and then looking at the charger. My car has a lot of cam hop, which is driving me nuts here lately. I feel like with my current setup I could make around the power I want. Propabley gonna save a little more funds and do an intake and cam swap at once down the road. I think my heads, while maybe not optimal?, are good heads and dont think they will hold me back from my goals, so I dont have any plans for changing them.

Would love to build a new engine setup just for boost, but this engine only only has 40,000 original on it, I think its gonna be around a while.

Current Setup: In a 92 notch
Edelbrock Performer Heads
1.7 ratio rockers
Cobra Intake
E-Cam
24 lb inj
255 fuel pump
Long Tube Headers, Flow 40's, H-Pipe
Crane Cams Hi-6 ignition
Fender Well air intake
75mm throttle and MAF
T-5 for a little bit longer
Alum Radiator

Sub Frame Connectors
Hotchkis control arms
H&R springs/tokico shocks/Struts (about a week old....sweeeeet)
Max Mot Adjustable cast/camber plates (again....sweeeet)
Strut Tower Brace
Mickey Thompson Street Radials

THANKS GUYS!!!

Fox tail ive been around the game for a while. for a cruiser or weekend toy nothing is going to be easier and give you more pleasure than a nice blower (be it in the bed room or garage). The V3 would be my go to blower I would ge the bigger one you will want to run about 8lbs. You dont mention what year your car is weather its stick or auto. I would go with 42LBS injecotors and matching meeter

Im assuming its pre 93 thats why i know you will want 8LBS . Get the car tuned a chip burned as well by a professional . the dont touch anything and enjoy.

Fox tail ive been around the game for a while. for a cruiser or weekend toy nothing is going to be easier and give you more pleasure than a nice blower (be it in the bed room or garage). The V3 would be my go to blower I would ge the bigger one you will want to run about 8lbs. You dont mention what year your car is weather its stick or auto. I would go with 42LBS injecotors and matching meeter

Im assuming its pre 93 thats why i know you will want 8LBS . Get the car tuned a chip burned as well by a professional . the dont touch anything and enjoy.
He hit the nail on the head.
The cam will work and so will the Cobra intake, there is no reason why you can't make 375rwhp with the mods and the blower at 8psi.

42# Injectors are a must with a matching meeter.

S&B its a 92 with a T-5, by the time I get the charger I should have the t56 mag though.

Thanks for all you replies, good to hear. I was expecting to get bashed and hear that I needed to change everything. Changing meter, injectors, and tune isn't bad at all.

Now I am going to be itching to do this. I am really excited over this tranny swap coming up, now I got something else that I am impatient about. I feel like a 10 yr old on Christmas Eve.

its a good feeling, i love when i have something nice in the mail for a project.
+1 on the blower, turbos are sick but the t56 would hold it back and you would just want a auto to keep boost up

SC

I've got the Paxton 1220, basically the same unit as the V3 and a set-up very similar to yours. Here's my experience. I'm using the FMU instead of bigger injectors and like it just fine. If you go that route, get a wideband AFR gauge and the FMU disc kit so you and tune the FMU to deliver the correct AFR. I don't argue that the bigger injectors and a dyno tune is the best way to go for max hp, but the FMU is working good for me. I'm running a 2.95 pulley and not seeing any belt slip. Boost is 8psi @ 5500rpm, you'll probably see less than the advertised boost also because of your better breathing engine. Remember it's the extra air that counts, not the boost #.
Get the SC! You can install it yourself and you will not be sorry!

Yeah, I definitely don't plan on doing over 140mph. Just want to be able to get the rpms down on the highway, and my biggest reason is just because its different. I know it's an expensive different, and it has been done several times (enough they make a kit) so maybe not that different, but I think it will be cool. I definitely don't want an auto. I know they are faster, but its just a little more fun to me with a manual.

V3 all the way. my brothers 93 has a stock bottom end t/w heads, e cam, 42lb injectors, c4 trans, 3.73 and 275/50/15 radials and went 10.90 stock pulleys, full interior, ac/ ps and 2 12" subs in the trunk! He ran nmra true street last year and his 3rd pass after the cruise was still 11.10 @ 129