Build Thread The Hoopty Chronicles - New House, New garage, New Car?

I ordered a pushrod length checker and some head gaskets. Compression looks to be right at 8.5:1 I am hoping that I can get away without having to notch the pistons.

70cc chambers
.047 compressed head gasket
-13.2 CC dish
usually .013 in the hole.

Would be cool to not to have to mess with it.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

No doubt!! I would have thought compression with those heads would be closer to 9.5-10:1
Wont matter now. I am selling my 76 to a buddy and buying a 78mm On3 unit. The turbine housing is 10mm larger and is supposed to help with backpressure issues the 76 causes. This car is going to be terrifying with a sticky tire.

Reactions: 4 users
I had to catch up for a few pages but I think I'm up to speed now.

It was a couple pages back and I hope I'm not too late but you're doing it wrong. It's all wrong and hopefully you can fix it quick:

This is what happens when you're trying to do something that requires a fair amount of concentration, but your wife come into the garage to nag about something...

Unless she's naked, has beer in one hand, food in the other, and a half-nekid girl-friend with her, there's no reason at all to even turn your head. Use the force man.

Spread the word. It may help others. :nice:

Reactions: 5 users
I had to catch up for a few pages but I think I'm up to speed now.

It was a couple pages back and I hope I'm not too late but you're doing it wrong. It's all wrong and hopefully you can fix it quick:

Unless she's naked, has beer in one hand, food in the other, and a half-nekid girl-friend with her, there's no reason at all to even turn your head. Use the force man.

Spread the word. It may help others. :nice:

You had me at half nekkid friend

Any reason you don't want to up the compression? The days of needing 8:1 are long gone. Car would make more power across the board with a good bump in compression and drive better out of boost. All stuff you know I'm sure

Any reason you don't want to up the compression? The days of needing 8:1 are long gone. Car would make more power across the board with a good bump in compression and drive better out of boost. All stuff you know I'm sure
Same reason I haven't done anything else, hahaha. Costs man. I'm sure if I zero decked it and used a thinner gasket I could get it up a little more but for the time being this will do. It certainly doesn't help the pistons look like bowls either

Same reason I haven't done anything else, hahaha. Costs man. I'm sure if I zero decked it and used a thinner gasket I could get it up a little more but for the time being this will do. It certainly doesn't help the pistons look like bowls either

I know where you can get a great deal on some gt40 p heads. Higher compression!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey hoopty..... I rebuilt the ve tables for your 351..... I'll post em when your ready.
Thanks Steve. Gonna be a little while, haha. My weekends seem to be booked solid for the rest of eternity. I had time to stick the cam in and install the timing set last night. At this rate, I'll finish... never.

I did change the oil in the coyote last night and pulled the tune and CAI out so I can get it inspected. I learned 2 things:

1) There are roadkill bits somewhere under the car and I can't find them, but I can certainly smell them.

2) After pulling the tune, my avg mpg went from 16.7 to 20+. Anyone want a CAI for a coyote? It's not worth the fuel economy for the 10 hp it might give me.

Finally, at the back of the 351 block where the hole for the cam is, that's just a standard freeze plug-type-thing, right? There is nothing there now.

Thanks Steve. Gonna be a little while, haha. My weekends seem to be booked solid for the rest of eternity. I had time to stick the cam in and install the timing set last night. At this rate, I'll finish... never.

I did change the oil in the coyote last night and pulled the tune and CAI out so I can get it inspected. I learned 2 things:

1) There are roadkill bits somewhere under the car and I can't find them, but I can certainly smell them.

2) After pulling the tune, my avg mpg went from 16.7 to 20+. Anyone want a CAI for a coyote? It's not worth the fuel economy for the 10 hp it might give me.

Finally, at the back of the 351 block where the hole for the cam is, that's just a standard freeze plug-type-thing, right? There is nothing there now.
Yes.

I don't know why you're even worried about a stupid little 2" freeze plug anyway. I'd just leave it in the rebuild kit.

Are head gaskets necessary too then? Id like to up the compression a little ;)
What do you think I'm gonna say here?.............

JB weld. Why risk head gasket failure at all? Just glue the heads on. The actual "compressed" film thickness of JB weld a gasket is .0008.

Imagine the CR bump you'll get from that.