Build Thread The Hoopty Chronicles - New House, New garage, New Car?

• Sponsors (?)

image.jpeg

Here we be. I am waiting on a credit for the lifters from rock auto so I can order the right ones. Verified push rod length at 7.65 and have a buddy with a new set he is gonna sell me. After that, I'll slap the intake on and slide this pig into the cradle.

Almost to the point that I can feel myself turn the key and taste the failure :D

Reactions: 4 users
That's a hell of an exhaust leak you have there. I think it's time to forget about a turbo system as you don't have the basics down. Between the open primary tubes and the dismantled turbo you'll never achieve boost.

Reactions: 1 user
I started the passenger header fab last night and got 2 primaries tacked together and then the blade on my band saw gave up. I tried using a cutoff wheel but it just doesn't do as clean of a job and makes welding a complete PITA. So I gave up; will grab another blade today.

I'm not gonna post any pics of it until it's done because the metal is super nasty looking and the whole deal is uglier than home made soap. Gonna need some time with a flap wheel sanding disc to clean it all up and look presentable - - - only to wrap it later on, haha.

Also, I just tacked it all together. It would be my luck I drop the motor in the car and header wont fit, right?

I started the passenger header fab last night and got 2 primaries tacked together and then the blade on my band saw gave up. I tried using a cutoff wheel but it just doesn't do as clean of a job and makes welding a complete PITA. So I gave up; will grab another blade today.

I'm not gonna post any pics of it until it's done because the metal is super nasty looking and the whole deal is uglier than home made soap. Gonna need some time with a flap wheel sanding disc to clean it all up and look presentable - - - only to wrap it later on, haha.

Also, I just tacked it all together. It would be my luck I drop the motor in the car and header wont fit, right?

Count on that......The header only needs to be off an 1/16" and things don't fit anymore.

No way would i consider building a turbo system hot side with the engine out of the car.

But you go Collin,............It'll give me talking points later.:banana:

PS.....I'm gonna consider the you are attempting to TIG those tubes back together after they're tacked, and that may be the cause of your "home made soap" reference.

It's what's inside those tubes that's fouling your weld. Rust, carbon, and dirt.....

Tig no likie.

Nope nope nope. Wire wheel on a drill that will fit inside the tubes. Harbor freight has them, clean the weld section inside and out first. If there is a gap to fill try laying down a stringer on one pipe first then blend the two together with the second pass. There is a way to horseshoe a gap with the tig but it's ugly.

Jesus, Mike.

Between you and the other old fogie at my office, you'd think I'd need velcro shoes and a helmet just to get through the day successfully.

This dude was lecturing me on how to use a stapler the other day and about got b*tch slapped.

Reactions: 2 users