Paint and Body The Monster Gets A New Hood, And You Get To Help Choose....

Which version of scoop should the monster wear?

• Total voters

CarMichael Angelo

my rearend will smell so minty fresh,
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
Ok,..lets consider this democratically.
Pretend: That I'm not gonna F this up, and there are no considerations that weigh one way or the other with regard to time or effort. The main reason for your response is purely to be based on what you think will look best gracing the Monster's face.

So then, Your choices are between three different scoop options: Two of which are already built.

Option A.: 67 style

image_zpsssb0er0s.jpe

The theme here harkens back to the 67 Cyclone hood

mdmp_0907_01_z+67_mercury_comet_cyclone_gt+front_view.jpg

I can leave the scoops sitting on top of the hood, or I can make the hood recess at the mouth like the factory did. This is what I did on the first version.
*The difference between the two hoods here is that the 67 hood is one big assed flat span of sheet metal, and the Monsters hood has a crown, and body lines that compete/conflict with those long pieces of rectangular steel. When looking at the car from the front, the scoops "lean" as a result of the crown.

The amount of work required to fully integrate these scoops since they're actually built, we'll say is a 7 out of 10.
The scoop would be tacked onto the hood at 2" intervals, and then integrated into the hood so as to blend into the hood w/ no visable parting line. To avoid any sheetmetal underneath not getting painted because of that, I'll add a block underneath the scoop to "close in" the scoop, effectively sealing the underside.

B: 65 Cyclone style:

mufp_0702_01z%2b1965_mercury_comet_cyclone%2bpassengers_side_view.jpg

-2f-2fwww-chooseyouritem-com-2fclassics-2fphotos-2f93000-2f93449-1965-mercury-cyclone-jpg.559301.jpg

Nothing built so far to accommodate this style but in reality, its pair of rectangular boxes welded on front of the hood. The real hard part is it actually doesn't stop there. When you look at this hood, the top part of those scoops extend back about 2' and stand off of the rest of the sheet metal about 1/2" This would require a really long 12" wide piece of non-stressed sheet metal be folded at 90 degrees, and welded into the hood structure.
Just like the first example, I'd probably just tack it, then add filler to the seam, and integrate the thing into the sheet metal as a whole.

What happens when I weld on the hood boys and girls?

I give this version a 10 out of 10 because it has to be completely scratch built, and because there is so much trailing sheet metal behind the opening.

Then we have option C:
2016 MikeClone
E08EC1FA-1E49-4058-9C4E-E351373ABBA9_zpsm6alahdo.jpg

I could probably cut the two scoops off the old version completely intact, and integrate them into the new hood w/ ............little difficulty?:shrug:. Maybe the easiest of the conversions,.....I'm thinking 5-10?

I've obviously been looking at these scoops for a really long time now. I can't say that they are right w/ regard to the style of the car,..but considering the rest of it, what is?

So there you have it. There's even a poll for you to choose both the Scoop style, and the whether or not the G vents remain.

Do your civic duty,.....Vote!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Geez,...I actually like the 65 style scoops. When I started this whole thing, "way back when" that was my intent. :thinking:(Now that I think of it, I don't know why I didn't)

Anyway, according to my poll results, It appears that I'm cutting off the G nostrils, and attempting to reintegrate them into Monster hood v.3.

As for the G vents,.......... If everything I do to that hood was as easy as accommodating those, that hood woulda been done a bagillion years ago. Again, the grille covers are already made, all I do is cut a hole, and coverplate the side that water would pour down on the hotside of the turbo underneath, and the G vent is done.

I'll save that for after the Nostril-N-Dectomy.

As for now, I guess I'm driving 6 hours...........:nonono:

Reactions: 3 users
Geez,...I actually like the 65 style scoops. When I started this whole thing, "way back when" that was my intent. :thinking:(Now that I think of it, I don't know why I didn't)

Anyway, according to my poll results, It appears that I'm cutting off the G nostrils, and attempting to reintegrate them into Monster hood v.3.

As for the G vents,.......... If everything I do to that hood was as easy as accommodating those, that hood woulda been done a bagillion years ago. Again, the grille covers are already made, all I do is cut a hole, and coverplate the side that water would pour down on the hotside of the turbo underneath, and the G vent is done.

I'll save that for after the Nostril-N-Dectomy.

As for now, I guess I'm driving 6 hours...........:nonono:

You spent WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much time getting folks on board with the whole Gila Monster thing, to have it just abandoned now.

The poll was a sucker bet.

Reactions: 1 user
You spent WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much time getting folks on board with the whole Gila Monster thing, to have it just abandoned now.

The poll was a sucker bet.
Cmon!! What ever are you talking about?
There is no intent to string anything along here...

I have the opportunity to start with a clean slate. ( at least with the hood). I wanted a general consensus take on the scoops. 84ttop has not chimed in, he doesn't like the nostrils, and wanted to see the old version scoops I made instead.
Based on that, I wanted to see how many thought the same way before I go about the process of transferring the current versions over.
In the end, The monster is as the Monster does regardless of what scoop I use.

You are such a butthead.

Cmon!! What ever are you talking about?
There is no intent to string anything along here...

I have the opportunity to start with a clean slate. ( at least with the hood). I wanted a general consensus take on the scoops. 84ttop has not chimed in, he doesn't like the nostrils, and wanted to see the old version scoops I made instead.
Based on that, I wanted to see how many thought the same way before I go about the process of transferring the current versions over.
In the end, The monster is as the Monster does regardless of what scoop I use.

You are such a butthead.

I like the Gila vents. I didn't vote for them because it sounded like more difficulty thrown into an already stressful job. For the record, I like all of the scoops pictured, again, voting for the 2016 in favor of simplicity. When you have time to go all out that's great, but there's something to be said for the k.i.s.s. theory. Hang in there Mike. The car would be great with a slick stock hood.

All that being said, if you just need to cut holes for the vents, put in vents!

Ok,...Nothing accomplished today with the exception of this grab.
20160626_181839_zpsqn5u07bf.jpg

It's ugly for sure, but that center rib is unscathed. There is a small dent in the skin on the passenger side, but nothing a light coat of filler wont fix. The bottom of the thing is similar to what you'd expect to find after the Deep water Horizon blew up and and vented a bazillion barrels of crude oil into the gulf coast. Whatever engine was in this car slung oil all over the bottom side of the thing.

Thinkin' it might be too bizarre to create a G monster hood emblem, and replace the existing "F" that currently adorns the hood.

:thinking::thinking::thinking:...........

Yeah,...I do believe that I'll have to plug that hole too.

I like the G vents, and as mentioned above, don't think that they are too time consuming to add back. The G Nostrils,......that's a different story... They're going back,...I just hope I can make it happen w/ minimal collateral damage.

Reactions: 6 users
So I didnt realize you made a new thread before contributing to the official thread, but like I said there, transfer the 2016 hood and keep the G vents! Good looking, and functional design.

Edit: Then again, that Mustang pic I posted sure resembles the '67 design you posted. Still though, I would go with which ever is going to be easier.

Ok,...Nothing accomplished today with the exception of this grab.
20160626_181839_zpsqn5u07bf.jpg

It's ugly for sure, but that center rib is unscathed. There is a small dent in the skin on the passenger side, but nothing a light coat of filler wont fix. The bottom of the thing is similar to what you'd expect to find after the Deep water Horizon blew up and and vented a bazillion barrels of crude oil into the gulf coast. Whatever engine was in this car slung oil all over the bottom side of the thing.

Thinkin' it might be too bizarre to create a G monster hood emblem, and replace the existing "F" that currently adorns the hood.

:thinking::thinking::thinking:...........

Yeah,...I do believe that I'll have to plug that hole too.

I like the G vents, and as mentioned above, don't think that they are too time consuming to add back. The G Nostrils,......that's a different story... They're going back,...I just hope I can make it happen w/ minimal collateral damage.

If you decide later on that you want a hood emblem-here's two suggestions for your consideration:)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

lol