Thinking of buying a new welder?

Hey guys, after I finished the passenger side floorpan replacement on my '66, I've decided I want to upgrade from the old 115V MIG welder I've been using (its very slow, so you have to be very slow with it lol) I'm ready to buy a 220V MIG that i've been checking out but my only issue is that the only 220 outlet i have in my house is for the dryer, so I'd need about 100' of extension cord to be comfortable, and thats not a problem. The problem is the price of the extension cord that will be able to handle that much continuous power...it looks like it'll be $100 or more, and with the price of the welder, that'll just break my bank a little too much. So heres the question, do i get a new, nicer MIG that I can plug into my common 110V outlets or do I pony up the extra cash for the 220? By no means am I a welding expert, its been a learn as I go type of deal, so dont hold back if you have advice for me, you're not going to make me feel stupid haha. Any advice you've got would be great. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I have a Hobart 180 amp 220V welder that is great. I would get a 220V welder if you have the budget; they are more flexible and will give you more choices. I was fortunate that my breaker panel was in the garage so running an outlet was very easy and I have a 35ft extension cord so I can move anywhere in the garage I need. The good thing about a 220V welder they are less affected by the longer extension cords than are the 110V versions.