Time for a new clutch

That's exactly why i ditched the Flows for the Borla Pro XS. It did quiet the car down a tad, but it's still loud.

I probably would have tried those if they were a direct fit. I'm really on the fence about the effort in general, the money won't be so bad since superturbos are relatively cheap, but right now i have zero knocks or clearance issues, i keep messing with stuff at some point i have to say it is what it is and don't screw with things that are fine. I honestly can't remember my suspension ever making as little noise as it does now. I credit much of that to the now non-existant upper control arms. Tons of exhaust clearance and the rear isn't fighting itself when it moves, just goes where it need freely.

85gt, the roller guides are in my wish list (which i use to order parts), though i think from watching the lmr video on the install i'd say the bushings are my issue, in theory it would make sense the middle bushing being shot and the guide rattling around in it. Which is part of the reason i'm buying the kit with the plates, if it's been this way for years i wonder if the rod banged up the plate.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

85gt, the roller guides are in my wish list (which i use to order parts), though i think from watching the lmr video on the install i'd say the bushings are my issue, in theory it would make sense the middle bushing being shot and the guide rattling around in it. Which is part of the reason i'm buying the kit with the plates, if it's been this way for years i wonder if the rod banged up the plate.
Gotcha. Yea, if the guide rod bushings are gone, then you're right, that plate may be wallowed out. You still may want to have the roller guides handy, just in case you find they're worn/sloppy after you're in there. The whole "do it all in one sitting" thing. Don't know if you have Prime or use Amazon, but you could buy them there, have them on hand and then return them if if don't use 'em.

Amazon product ASIN B077G9LCHS
View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077G9LCHS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A31Z8XH9YKDVCF&psc=1
I'd ignore some of their bulleted information, which is of a window crank arm.... the Ford part number matches up to the roller guide.

Thanks, I actually have a whole list of parts coming from LMR.
Typically when i see something i need to fix i add a part to my wishlist (which BTW is good for gifts, i give family the list and they can pick from it).

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly i got that lift years ago when craigslist was the thing (i was looking for a low profile race jack). Somebody north jersey had it for $2500. I offered $1600, he offered $2200, i offered $1600. He offered $2000, i offered $1600. Went on for 2 months. Finally 2 weeks before that christmas he sent me an email saying if i still had that $1600 christmas was coming early to me. It was one of those cases where you have to means to disassemble, transport, reassemble. Which was a serious under taking. The ramp with the hydraulics is like 500lbs by itself.
It's a Bendpak HD7P, i think bendpak used to sell it for $3800 delivered and setup at the time. I did fail to calculate that my garage door would hit the lift when it went up. So then i had to do a high lift conversion, which was another project in itself.
The real beauty in this lift is that with an 11'2 garage ceiling, i can put it all the way up with my car on it and walk under it at 6'1 without ducking. So all winter i can use the garage as if it's not even in there.
A few years later i got tired of jacking up the car on the lift to take the wheels up and bought a hydraulic slide jack that goes between the rails.

Most people think the lift is ridiculous, but when i had my saleen explorer the converter locked up, trans place wanted to either replace or rebuild it at $2500, i took the pan off and a spring broke above the valve body (i had put a shift kit in it), a piece of that spring jammed a valve, i bought a new $8 valve, $100 in fluid and drove it the rest of the time i owned it, trouble free. From that time on i have declared the lift paid for itself.

I'm by no means wealthy but i can fix almost anything and know how to buy things from people in person with cash (A skill that is lost on the youth of today). .
I also have issues with "escalation" in every hobby. So it's no surprise i needed a jack and bought a lift. There's the time i needed a shovel and bought a trencher. I had a $20 rc heliopter, then i needed a collective pitch stunt copter. It goes on and on with every hobby. Another time decided i wanted an arcade game i played at the boardwalk, i couldn't find it, so i bought a different one, then another and another until i had 30 arcade and pinball machines. Again, i'm not wealthy but i love good broken stuff at dirt cheap prices. I'm kinda over that hobby, i've had about 60 games in the past 10 years which include every game i've ever played in the arcade (that i can get into my basement). I kept the 10 the kids and I loved most and sold the rest. I'm already past break even and i still have 20k in games in my basement. Any time I can buy something, mess with it for years then sell it for more than i'm into it, i'll do it, my wife knows i'm frugal and that this car is the only place i lose money and not that much because the MM suspension was a collective of gifts from the past decade.
I wish i could do it with foxes but i can't quite figure out the market.
Hobbies are just another description for addictions……. Once you get going, you just can’t stop! That’s why this site even exists!

I made some speedline center caps out of raised emblems and properly fitting center caps. I think i'll run the wheels this way instead of the saleen caps or the ford caps.

Door parts should be here tomorrow. Do i just kilmat the entire door? The dynamat kit looks to do a few spots on the door skin and nearly the entire inner door. Do I just forgo the moisture barrier or does it go over the kimat?

On another note, i also am going to fix the AC (looks like this year is going to be seriously hot, for NJ at least).
Years ago, i came home and it let all the freon out in one long burst, i did NOT see where it came from. My guess is that the pressure was too high and went out the relief valve. Going to replace valve cores, get an O ring kit and buy a kit like this on amazon.
My AC is entirely 03 cobra (which i think is 134a) except the evaporator.
Amazon product ASIN B07LBLDZ89
View: https://www.amazon.com/VIVOHOME-Manifold-Conditioning-Refrigeration-Recharging/dp/B07LBLDZ89/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1KQG6RERW71UA&keywords=vacuum+pump+ac+kit&qid=1688675419&sprefix=vacuum+pump+ac+ki%2Caps%2C112&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1
Last time the AC was done, we did it at my buddy's shop with actual ac equipment, that isn't an option any more.

Attachments

• PXL_20230706_145035760.jpg
    PXL_20230706_145035760.jpg
    659.9 KB · Views: 51
  • PXL_20230706_145009314.jpg
    PXL_20230706_145009314.jpg
    564.2 KB · Views: 45
4cfm should be enough. If the system vented and was opened somewhat? Make sure you pull for a while. Set it up in the AM and just let it pull all day long.

30 min is standard for shops who want to get a car in and out, but since you have the luxury of time nothing wrong with going longer and more preferred.

I bought a refrigerant detector on eBay and that thing has been awesome. Already used it 3-4 times this summer to help find leaks on friends/family cars. Really works well finding non-condenser leaks.

I guess you can say it was at least briefly open, but honestly i'm ashamed to say that it happened and i just ignored it afterwards. Which is not something i tend to do with anything. So i don't even have a clue where it leaked from, but it seemed more like a blowout than a leak.
What i will most likely do is run it for 30 min. Let it sit and see if it starts to lose vacuum. If it doesn't i'll run it for the rest of the day, if it does at least i didn't waste an entire day watching the pump for no reason.
That's a leak detector in that kit correct? similar to what you purchased?
I really don't want an ac repair setup, so if i'm going to do it and have to store it i might as well be able to fix other cars (i'm sure this will come back to bit me).

BTW, dumped the explorer limited I spoke about, company that bought it didn't seem to care about anything, it was just going to auction $7100. Even though it only had 110k on it, it drove like it had 250k on it. So adding 3 to 4 grand for the other tie rod, control arm and water pump just didn't make sense and there was a still a hub bearing that was surely going to beat me up.

Leak detector, pump and oil and manifold set plus fittings is what's int he kit. Not the same detector I have. I bought a used one that was a decade or so old so it was prob a more expensive then.

Going this weekend to check out a few cars to offload my Taurus. Decided to trade it in and buy the wife a new vehicle. Probably going to look at a Rav4, or a Highlander or something reliable yet boring. I will inherit her car for now. Only 90K on that. Buys me some time to see how the 2024 Explorer ST looks.

Leak detector, pump and oil and manifold set plus fittings is what's int he kit. Not the same detector I have. I bought a used one that was a decade or so old so it was prob a more expensive then.

Going this weekend to check out a few cars to offload my Taurus. Decided to trade it in and buy the wife a new vehicle. Probably going to look at a Rav4, or a Highlander or something reliable yet boring. I will inherit her car for now. Only 90K on that. Buys me some time to see how the 2024 Explorer ST looks.
When my daughter decided she wanted to buy a car, she decided on a Rav4. I subsequently got rid of my 2018 f150 and took back my ‘02 f150 from her (as described in other threads here).
Anyway….. I’ve been pretty impressed with the 2018 Rav 4 she bought. Solid, quality car so far.
My in laws had a Forerunner years ago….. another very nice Toyota! My mother in law now has a Prius (never catch me with one, but good car so far). I’m starting to believe what they they say about the quality, longevity, and overall “good cars” things they say about Toyota!!

I was born and lived for 57 years in a NO sales tax state...
Needless to say I was quite stunned at the " add on" when I purchased my first car in Florida with the must have option of " sales tax"..... LOL
Not sure about your state but apparently here in Florida, your trade in value is exempted from the sales taxable amount of the purchased price....
Found this out on my last car purchase.... Makes your trade in value MUCH higher.....
Just saying...

Input your info into those car buying sites with vin. See what their offers are before you go anywhere.
I'm with you on boring and reliable that's for sure.
We had a rav4 years ago, unless the size has changed, it's too small for people with kids that have the budget for something a little bigger.
Consider buying your wife something reliable and easily mobile (meaning it's easy to park decent on gas), then buy yourself an f150 supercrew when you are ready. While i probably wouldn't do the cadillac SRX we have now again (it's about the same size of the rav4 it replaced) one smaller more agile vehicle and a big f150 is perfect for us. I did have a beater dodge pickup (I sold it when I sold the Saleen Explorer) before i had the f150, but the f150 for the most part was still life changing for us.
Being able to go where you want, when you want with whatever you want in the truck gives you a better version of freedom.
We use it as a truck as often as we do a car. Trips to the drive on beach (Island beach state park), road trips, trips to the nursery (you know trees/bushes/plants) and not least of all, the favorite reason old guys need pickups, so we can goto the dump, lol. It's probably a top decision i made that improved our quality of life, something i didn't take lightly because i really really wanted to keep the Saleen Explorer.
I added a Bakflip revolver bed cover (i wanted flush mount and didn't want folds blocking the rear window, not to mention when the gate is locked you can't get under it) and AMP running boards (because I hate how 90% of running boards look and they aren't low enough anyway).

Back to the car, did you kilmat the doors?

Back to the car, did you kilmat the doors?

I did, but not 100% coverage. I rolled up the windows and put a few squares on the ourer door skin. Had to get in therer and clean the panel first to get it to stick. i think i did three 8x8 squares. I then put some kilmat on the flat areas of the inner door panel. I think i did close to 80% coverage here. I don't recall if i put the vapor barrier in place. I think i did.

f150 supercrew

I can't do an F150. I drove my dad's '17 Coyote F150 for 3 weeks while my car down down for the water pump and couldn't wait to hand the keys back. I just didn't like driving a truck. I actually enjoyed getting back into my car when i handed it back. I need something that can turn and brake. Driving a truck was the furthest thing from that. I have a yard trailer. I just need something to pull it. Ultimately, i can see myself in something like a Porsche Macan or Cayenne down the road, but going to wait until the kids are through college. Wife will get the boring reliable car, and I'm just gonna continue to squirrel cash away to get something fun.

Just watch the quality of the parts at LMR. The Blue Oval parts are Carpenter pieces which I trust more than the others.
FYI, the package containing the bushings is labeled Dennis Carpenter. I had a feeling it would be that way based on his other parts being at LMR.

Last edited:
When my daughter decided she wanted to buy a car, she decided on a Rav4.

We went and looked at the rav 4 and CRV. Drove both. Wife wasn’t really thrilled with the interior on the Rav but loved the CRV.

Dealers don’t have any in stock. Playing the e-mail game now with who has one coming in and what color/options. Can’t wait to dump the Taurus before I have to put any more money into it.

I’ll be inheriting her Traverse for now. It’s ok. I dispise it but I’ll trade it for what I want down the road.

We went and looked at the rav 4 and CRV. Drove both. Wife wasn’t really thrilled with the interior on the Rav but loved the CRV.

Dealers don’t have any in stock. Playing the e-mail game now with who has one coming in and what color/options. Can’t wait to dump the Taurus before I have to put any more money into it.

I’ll be inheriting her Traverse for now. It’s ok. I dispise it but I’ll trade it for what I want down the road.
Wait a few months. Supply is going up and demand is going down.
Couple that with student loan payments going back online and it's a recipe for a bad fall season for manufacturers and dealers.

My father has a traverse (his second one) and i find it to be much better than the explorer.
I also love the 2+2+2 seating instead of the middle bench.
He offered to sell us his last lease for what he owed which was about $3500 in the green (dealer gave him that money towards his next), i said no, but i'm regretting that decision. I tend to want what i want for better or worse.

I married into a toyota family. All the cars seem to run forever and be fairly low maintenance, but the interiors are all boring, bland and cheap that fall apart.
Oddly enough you can get a decent used cayenne at a reasonable price. I always check them out, been on my list forever. But i've never researched if they have expensive issues to resolve.
The macan i just see as a chick car,

Wait a few months. Supply is going up and demand is going down.

Can’t wait a few months. Starting to get the old cold start rattle on the 3.5L as well. I’m just dumping money into it left and right. Tie rod ends were toast last month. Flex pipe broke. I think a wheel bearing is starting to hum. My mufflers should be replaced but I’m just turning up the volume.

For my own mental health, she needs to go ASAP. I should have dumped it before the water pump failed

The ‘17 traverse isn’t bad, it’s just not really optioned out the way I’d prefer for my personal vehicle. We have the captains chairs in the middle so the 2+ 2 + 2 is perfect. That’s actually the main reason why we chose it over that era Explorer. Most we looked at had benches. But it has 98K miles so I should be able to get another year or two out of it. The sync setup is way better than what’s in that car, so I will miss that.

Top of my list is an explorer ST. I know the ‘24s are coming out with a refresh. I kinda want to see if Ford fixes a lot of the electrical gremlins before I get one. Plus it was an easier hit on the wallet going for the CRV for the wife now. Cheaper car, and got me bonus points with the wife. The Rav was nice but one of my wife’s gripes about the traverse was a boring infotainment center. The CRVs setup was kinda nice. Even I liked the interior setup a lot.

Honestly, I’m sick of fixing daily drivers. I’m on a few FB groups and the explorer one is just nothing but problems (electrical, sunroof leaks, CV boot, axle bolts, rear camera failures, etc etc, while the CRV one was more like “I have 250k miles on mine and have just done routine maintanance”

I figure I want more of the latter these days. She’s excited about it so that’s all that matters. Buys me some time to think about what I want and get the funds ready for it.

I don’t think I’d do the Porsche SUV right now. Coworker has a Macan GTS. I love it. Only way I’d do a Macan is one of the higher trim levels. The base models seem plain and girly like you said. They seem to depreciate like a rock but I haven’t done any serious research in how reliable and maintanence costs

Last edited:
Better have a deep wallet when that warranty runs out on the Porsches, Mercedes, and BMW’s. Great when they are new and/or low miles but they are difficult to service due to their complex construction. My preference is BMW as the Mercedes we have had so far have more cabin noise and my buddy bitched about his Cayenne the whole time he owned it. All under warranty but it seemed like it was at the dealer a lot.

Domestics have their issues as well but they tend to be cheaper to fix. Just my experience.

Last edited:
Better have a deep wallet when that warranty runs out on the Porsches, Mercedes, and BMW’s. Great when they are new and/or low miles but they are difficult to service due to their complex construction. My preference is BMW as the Mercedes we have had so far have more cabin noise and my buddy bitched about his Cayenne the whole time he owned it. All under warranty but it seemed like it was at the dealer a lot.
My 08 has been pretty decent, but I think I have been lucky... for an everyday driver it would be scary..... There are helpful websites for these cars too...
DSCF0119.JPG