5.0ttops87

Nov 12, 2016
I recently replaced my lifters and I can't get my car to run right. The first time I tried to fire it back up it had a hard time turning over (after replaced battery, starter solenoid, cleaning grounds and moving dis. it fired up with a little assist from me pushing the gas pedal). I got it to kind of idle then i went to try my timing light (im pretty positive it no longer is working because it wouldn't pulse on any wire.. The car has an e303 cam (hardened pushrods, 1.7 pedestal mount rockers and upgraded springs). I didn't think i had the timing right so i respiked it at 10 btcd and tried from there but the car still idles rougher than hell.. (it never had this idle issue before.. but the rockers also had lash.... and clattered like hell .. now theyre set right). It still has issues starting I have to aid it with using the gas pedal then it runs but it doesn't just rev up when i push down it stutters and i have to work it up and whole time i can see black out the exhaust.. I've respiked the distributor a few different times.. no luck.. I put new plug wires new dis. cap and rotor... no luck. any ideas?? (I have a tfi module i got about 2 years ago too.. its an accel).
I should add the car has been sitting a year.. I was gonna drain the gas but couldn't figure a very good way of doing so...

• Sponsors (?)

e303 cam, cai, pushrods rockers, valve springs, gt40 intake, 30lb injectors, msd ign coil, the injectors were cheap.. vacuum leak? Im seriously doubting.. i re ran ever vacuum line needed except for the smog junk because i deleted those egr has lines the vacuum reservoir, brake booster (blocked a/c) and the maf sensors vacuum line.

• how did you adjust the rockers. they are not supposed to chatter
  • did you soak the lifters in oil or install dry
  • what preload did you set the rockers up with
  • If you did not put in an aftermarket MAF for 30# injectors or get a tune, you now have a mismatched setup that will run like crap. You do not need 30# injectors with that setup
  • You need to properly set the timing and base idle

Reactions: 1 user
I wanted to try a little spray on it so that would be why I got the 30# and my stocks were all cracked and leaking so... thats my main reason. The rockers clattered before when they had lash (I was missinformed last time i installed them..) this time I put preload.. I set it at tdc for #1 and tightened the pedestal mount rocker down by hand till i couldn't turn the pushrod anymore then I put to 18ft pounds (did not get and more than 3/4 turn on any .. most were a little more than half turn) i then put next cylinder to tdc (1/4 turn) and did the same thing. It is a speed density car not a maf car also.

Without a tune those 30s are part of your problem. The computer will still send same signal to injectors causing them to dump almost twice the amount of fuel....that causes the o2 sensors to read rich and the computer cut fuel...in a viscous cycle.

You need to go to a junk yard and grab some orange top injectors and swap them out.

A thing often missed is the firing order.....and the position of number 1 on the cap.

How on the world is a stock speed density car even running with an E303 cam and 30lb injectors without a tune.

Take this from me (I tune cars) the injectors are a huge issue, then the cam.... it's meant for a carburetor NOT for EFI it even says so in the description.

Reactions: 2 users
How on the world is a stock speed density car even running with an E303 cam and 30lb injectors without a tune.

Take this from me (I tune cars) the injectors are a huge issue, then the cam.... it's meant for a carburetor NOT for EFI it even says so in the description.
okay sir, it ran fine before the new lifters and injectors lol... (it had a lot of clatter from rockers having lash not preload and had no lope really.. I actually installed correctly this time..) I do not even know where i could get someone to make a chip for my car.. I have the :poo: to convert to speed density but i wanted to avoid it for now.

Without a tune those 30s are part of your problem. The computer will still send same signal to injectors causing them to dump almost twice the amount of fuel....that causes the o2 sensors to read rich and the computer cut fuel...in a viscous cycle.

You need to go to a junk yard and grab some orange top injectors and swap them out.

A thing often missed is the firing order.....and the position of number 1 on the cap.
I used the h.o. firing order.. 137... etc and I do not have 02 sensors i haven't had any in a long time.. lol but regardless it ran fine without them before also..? I didn't think about how much extra fuel and what needs to be corrected for that .. so there is my stupidity..

E cam might be kinda choppy, 30 pounders are probably a problem, I don't know what a speed density system can take as far as mods.
You meant you soaked your lifters, right?
It had no lope before with rockers having lash above the valve springs lol! but maybe it is a part.. trying to drive with it is ridiculous.. thing is so damn rich it was a lot of black out the exhaust.. I am gonna listen to you guys n find a set of 19lbs' and yes sir i did soak the lifters (they soaked for quite a while due to me not working on the car for a long time).

If you want to use the 30lb check out dirtydirtyracing.com Willy Lynch is a great tuner with Moates Quarter Horse chips. They sell and tune them. He's a good "stand up" kinda guy. That's the cheapest way to go.

If you want to use the 30lb check out dirtydirtyracing.com Willy Lynch is a great tuner with Moates Quarter Horse chips. They sell and tune them. He's a good "stand up" kinda guy. That's the cheapest way to go.
I do want to just because it means less to tear back into and less to buy again.. and a little tune might help . thank you sir! I'll look into this and if nothing else I'll take your guys advice.

I do want to just because it means less to tear back into and less to buy again.. and a little tune might help . thank you sir! I'll look into this and if nothing else I'll take your guys advice.
a91what is an awesome tuner, too. He may have different advise. My advise is....whatever a91what says- do it.