Trannie trouble.

PoXiC

Jul 31, 2003
I'm not sure exactly, but I THINK im loosing my torque converter. There is a lag in between most shifts except the one into overdrive. I could be on the gas real light coming up a hill or something on the highway, then when I let off... It clunks, and again when I get back on the gas... drives normal on the gas... let off and it clunks without ever leaving OD.

Anyone know what it is? It's been getting worse. It used to come and go, now it does it practicaly all the time. Whada say? Dealership time?

Oh yeah... 01 GT Automatic.

• Sponsors (?)

PoXiC said:
I'm not sure exactly, but I THINK im loosing my torque converter. There is a lag in between most shifts except the one into overdrive. I could be on the gas real light coming up a hill or something on the highway, then when I let off... It clunks, and again when I get back on the gas... drives normal on the gas... let off and it clunks without ever leaving OD.

Anyone know what it is? It's been getting worse. It used to come and go, now it does it practicaly all the time. Whada say? Dealership time?

Oh yeah... 01 GT Automatic.

Mine doing the same thing ( 01 GT auto also ).
I read a lot trying to find something cause warranty is off in may 04 and car is in storage till april, so no time to mess around.

First there s a TSB for a problem with those 4R70W when it downshift from 2 to 1. Sometimes you can feel a clunk at the downshift. The guys at ford told me something about a spring inside the tranny. Anyway they will correct it in april.
About the shrudder\ hesitation in OD, i found info on www.TCCoA.com .
Until 98, ford issue a TSB for that problem but nothing for 99+ model.
What i can understand, this problem is cause by contaminated oil or wrong type of oil ( mercon V is a must )that is having an effect on the torque converter, ajustement required and avoid overheating of the tranny ( tranny cooler is needed ). Did you notice that the problem is obvious after you have been driving the car for a while.
Looks like our 99+ model doind the same thing????
There s also another TSB for 4R70W for inadvertent shift interlock disabling. I dont know what it means ( my english is so so lolllll ) so i ll call the dealer with the TSB # and ask.
One thing is sure, ford technical service MUST know about your s and my problem with OD.

I know that there s somebody in here who can tell us a bit more, please come in.

When i call my dealer with all that infos he is freaking out and i m sure that make s him dont want to mess with me :D

Gentlemen:

Check the fluid level. This can be tricky so do it several times to confirm the reading. An underfilled transmission is just as bad as an overfilled transmission. Just like Goldilocks, the level has to be 'just right'. Both conditions can lead to erratic shifting.

Change your fluid and filter if you have not done so recently. If the fluid smells burnt rather than just the fresh, fruity smell of Mercon V, then it is definitely time to replace the fluid (and filter). The fellow who wrote the articles ("Transmissions 101" in the Tech Articles/Transmissions section of TCCoA.com) recommends fluid/filter changes every 15k to 20k (miles), just like most of change the engine oil on a more frequent basis that the owner's manual recommends. You can do this yourself (and drain the torque converter, too), or, your dealer will "flush" the system. Tell him you want a filter change, too, or they will just flush (replace the fluid). Either way, it is important to keep the fluid fresh.

There is a chance that one of the springs is broken (in the 1-2 accumulator bore) but I do not think this is likely. The new springs (+99) are supposed to be higher quality than the springs in the older models.

Are you sure that the clunk is not a u-joint (driveshaft)? Get under the car and turn the driveshaft back and forth and listen for abnormal noise. A soft clunk is OK but a sharp, harsh clunk means that a u-joint is wearing out.

speed545: I am surprised that your fingers are warm enough to work at the computer today because it is so cold there: -48 F or so. That is dangerously cold. We will try to send some heat up north in the next week or two!

I knew I shoulda got a 5-speed. :bang:

I checked the fluid level, and it looks like I'm about due to swap it. The U-joint is fine (smooth as silk)

Its about time for a tranny cooler and stall anyways. "Upgrading" is fun. lol

thanks for the advice. :nice:

nyuk98gt said:
Gentlemen:

Check the fluid level. This can be tricky so do it several times to confirm the reading. An underfilled transmission is just as bad as an overfilled transmission. Just like Goldilocks, the level has to be 'just right'. Both conditions can lead to erratic shifting.

Change your fluid and filter if you have not done so recently. If the fluid smells burnt rather than just the fresh, fruity smell of Mercon V, then it is definitely time to replace the fluid (and filter). The fellow who wrote the articles ("Transmissions 101" in the Tech Articles/Transmissions section of TCCoA.com) recommends fluid/filter changes every 15k to 20k (miles), just like most of change the engine oil on a more frequent basis that the owner's manual recommends. You can do this yourself (and drain the torque converter, too), or, your dealer will "flush" the system. Tell him you want a filter change, too, or they will just flush (replace the fluid). Either way, it is important to keep the fluid fresh.

There is a chance that one of the springs is broken (in the 1-2 accumulator bore) but I do not think this is likely. The new springs (+99) are supposed to be higher quality than the springs in the older models.

Are you sure that the clunk is not a u-joint (driveshaft)? Get under the car and turn the driveshaft back and forth and listen for abnormal noise. A soft clunk is OK but a sharp, harsh clunk means that a u-joint is wearing out.

speed545: I am surprised that your fingers are warm enough to work at the computer today because it is so cold there: -48 F or so. That is dangerously cold. We will try to send some heat up north in the next week or two!

Hey thx for your reply nyuk98gt. Cold up here....... naaaaaaaaaa........damn we are freezing to death :jaw: